What IDE (or text editor) do you use?

Share what sort of compiler do you use and why.

Personally, I use Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate for my C++ coding and sublime text editor for assembly coding. When it comes to Java android programming, I just use their bundle - Eclipse IDE.

I enjoy using Visual Studio it because it is everything that I need and it has a nice dark theme built in. I would love to use compiler which has text editor capabilities like sublime and compiling power like gcc, but that is only a dream, I'm afraid :/

As I mentioned, sublime is really nice text editor, and I would love to be able to use it all the time. Since it is not an IDE, sometmes I have to let it go...

Eclipse - there's not much to say. It is a great tool when it comes to android development, but I think I (and you) should check out IntelliJ IDE and, lets not forget, that Google is working on their own IDE(yay).

Anyways, share your thoughts, tips and ideas :)

Notepad++

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

VS 2012

Why? Because it was the first thing to come up when i first started..

sublime text

Why? it looks nice and i can program my arduino from it.

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

xterm + tmux + Vim + whatever compiler I need (if I need one) + i3(a tiling window manager).

(OS has been Arch Linux for the past few years).

Example of how my workspace looked on a web dev project last winter (PHP, obviously):

2013-04-14--22-56-38--workspace.png

And no, I'm not a professional programmer. ;)

This is mostly a hobby, part of college (C/C++) and/or a way to earn some money on the side

for the time being. We'll see what the future brings.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Java: eclipse 

Why? Its was suggested to me and now I'm used to it.

C++: visual studio 2010 or code::blocks

Why? No particular reason tried a few different free IDE's and code::blocks just 'felt' the best, then I started using VS2010 when I got it through my school's msdn thing.

Editing text/config files, web languages, scripting languages, or in general anything that doesn't benefit from a full IDE: sublimetext 2 

Why? I can easily make it do/look how I want on any platform. I mainly develop on OSX at work, test on linux and at home I use osx and windows.

Edit: @OP

I would love to use compiler which has text editor capabilities like sublime and compiling power like gcc, but that is only a dream, I'm afraid :/

As I mentioned, sublime is really nice text editor, and I would love to be able to use it all the time.

You are talking about being able to compile c++/c in sublimetext (or similar text editor) correct?

If so sublimetext does support building/compiling to some extent (in short its just running shell commands). Look at  http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5219 or http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13670064/sublime-text-2-build-system-for-c-programming-language . These should hopefully get you setup compiling from sublimetext.

C/C++/C#: Visual Studio

It's the best IDE ever (though I wish Microsoft learned to implement the standards)

Java: Eclipse or Netbeans

Netbeans for any web programming because it just has much better tools and Eclipse for everything else

Python: IDLE

What else do you need when writing Python besides a start button?

Everything else: Notepad or wordpad depending on whether I need \r\n or just \n

I just hobby around with programming but I started in BlueJ ( completely new to IDE's, wasn't too terrible for little quick projects ), then tried NetBeans but everything I learned from for android programming always has instructions for Eclipse, so I ballsed up and learned it and now I like it. Also I use Notepad++ as my only text editor in Windows and I use gedit and gcc in Linux for learning C and reading others' source.

Play: Liten v3 (4970k @ 4.6GHz, 32GB Ram, Asus GTX 1070 Strix)

Eclipse for Java because that was the first program I heard about for writing Java, and Aptana Studio 3 for web stuff (mainly HTML, CSS, JavaScript/Jquery and PHP). Aptana Studio is free and is just awesome in my opinion

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

Just a quick question;

Anything similar to Coda 2 for PC?

I loved that on my Mac, great environment for web development.

In terms of IDE's for other things; VB was obviously VS, C was sublime or just text edit and compiled through terminal.

I've only dabbled with Eclipse for Java. 

Python, Java, C#, 

Vim for everything on gnu linux and notepad++ / eclipse if I am stuck on windows

I switch between IDLE and notepad++ depending on what features I need. I only code little programs (and the occasional test virus) for myself and friends so I don't need anything fancy. 

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

On my desktop I'm using VS2010 express for C++.

On my laptop I use sublime text and g++.

I want to find a better way to manage my projects without using Visual Studio just because I'm tired of it. I love the idea of an IDE with everything in one place but sometimes it just gets on my nerves.

Zephyr:

3770k (Stock clock) w/ Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | 16GB DDR3 @ 2133Mhz | 2x Radeon HD 6950 (Reference, stock clock) | Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional | Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200w | 60GB SSD Boot, 750GB HDD Media, 1TB HDD Programs

Visual Studio 2010 and Eclipse.

use them. I didn't say I was good at them. :D

R7 7700 | RTX 4060 8GB | 32GB DDR5 | 2TB NVME

i7-4790S | RTX A2000 6GB | 16GB DDR3 | 1TB SSD+HDD

For the editing of text I use n++ but all my friends use vim. I even know people who remap their arrow keys full time to vim placement.

I even know people who remap their arrow keys full time to vim placement.

Haha, I haven't done that yet, but I have configured my window manager to Vim-like

key bindings so that I can move around my GUI with hjkl. Once you manage to get over

that initial hurdle of getting used to those four magic keys, they really do make

things very efficient. I switched to my current setup from Gnome 3 during that web

dev project last winter, and it was like day and night, so much better. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Haha, I haven't done that yet, but I have configured my window manager to Vim-like

key bindings so that I can move around my GUI with hjkl. Once you manage to get over

that initial hurdle of getting used to those four magic keys, they really do make

things very efficient. I switched to my current setup from Gnome 3 during that web

dev project last winter, and it was like day and night, so much better. :)

Yo for it because you can!

For python; pyscripter is awesome.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Wordpad

COME AT ME BRO !!!!

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

Java - Eclipse

C - CodeBlocks

Python - Notepad++

C/C++/C#/Html/CSS/Javascript - Visual Studio

Java - Eclipse

Others - Notepad++

If you guys are doing a lot of C/C++ in Visual Studio, you should take a look at the plugin Visual Assist X. It saves lives (I'm not saying this to make any publicity. It's just a very good tool). I use it both at work and for school and it adds a lot of the refactor and snippets that are available directly in Visual Studio for C# but for C++ and it's fully customizable.

For the complete features: http://www.wholetomato.com/products/default.asp

Notepad++ for code and whatnot. And LibreOffice for writing papers and whatnot

Vi and Gedit for everything and the usual compilers (javac, gcc, g++) and interpreters (clisp, python, ...). Oh, and gdb to debug!

Except when it is more complicated. Then I use Eclipse for Java and I've been using Qt Creator for C++ and some C because I am working in a project that has Cmake and uses gcc builtins and the auto-complete is useful.

LaTeX for reports, papers and my thesis, Google Drive or LibreOffice for spreadsheets or powerpoint presentations.

P.S.: And the good ol' pencil and paper to draw schemes and stuff! I wish I had a whiteboard at home though...

jGRASP for Java only because we have to.

Visual Studio for C#, etc.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

I only really develop in C++ currently so:

On my desktop (Windows): Visual studio 2012 express + Notepad++

On my laptop (Arch Linux): GCC and Sublime text

Zephyr:

3770k (Stock clock) w/ Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R | 16GB DDR3 @ 2133Mhz | 2x Radeon HD 6950 (Reference, stock clock) | Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional | Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200w | 60GB SSD Boot, 750GB HDD Media, 1TB HDD Programs