Green Machine - In Win 303 NVIDIA edition

porina

greenpc1024.jpg

This wasn't a totally new build, as I rehoused my existing main system into this case. I need to update my sig some time. Out went the Corsair Air 540, which wasn't the problem, but the watercooling I put in after. It really kept the temps down, but I couldn't reduce the pump vibration enough, and I also had a residue problem in the loop needing a deep clean. Neither of these jobs were likely to be quick, so I moved all the stuff over to an In Win 303 NVIDIA edition. I debated going for the standard one or not, and the nvidia one won purely as I like green front panel more than blue of the standard.

Since I was going waterless, CPU cooling is provided by a Noctua D14 with stock fans for the moment. This just fits, and when tuned to give minimal system fan noise, it was only 4C hotter under load than the custom loop I had before. If I turn up the fans, it is more like 1C hotter.

The 980Ti reverted back to the stock blower. I know this will be a problem going forwards, as it hits thermal throttling even running Heaven. I'm debating swapping it with another GPU from another system temporarily.

gpc2-a.jpg

The fan at the rear is the one that comes with the case. The upper trio are Corsair HD120s. It is a plus all the fans are the same shade of green, but the down side is that isn't the same shade as the GEFORCE GTX illumination, which is a lighter shade, and does match the front panel as shown below. I don't think there is any easy fix for this.

gpc2-b.jpg

The rehousing took much longer than expected, about 8 hours for the physical side. Draining and disassembling the old water loop, and refitting the GPU cooler took a fair chunk of time. The build seemed simple, but it proved otherwise. Everything blocked everything else, so I had to do a little backtracking now and then. I'm left with quite a long to do list to give it a final polish.

The HD mounts leave the connectors low to the mounting surface. The SATA cables that come with my Corsair HX750i PSU have the cable feeding at 90 degrees to the plug, and there simply isn't enough room. I had to resort to using some other molex to SATA power adapter cables to make them fit. Same problem with the SATA data cables, I need straight to straight ones. I'm going to have to look at what after-market cables are available, maybe even go for a custom set. This may contribute to drives sometimes not appearing on some boots which is somewhat concerning.

Not letting me rest, I had a new problem happen after the case transplant. When shutting down Windows 10, the monitor would go to sleep as expected, and after a short pause I'd expect it to power off. It never happened. I left it for 10 minutes or more, far longer than it needed, and nothing. I had to pull the plug. I searched around and tried disabling fast boot or whatever it was called, but that didn't help. I've always wanted to turn that off anyway, as my systems boot fast enough normally without the funnies introduced by not doing a proper shutdown. It was then by chance I saw my system report it had 8GB of ram. Er... no, I have 16GB. I powered off and reseated the ram, after removing the fan which was in the way. Back to 16GB. I wonder if that contributed to the shutdown problem earlier... time will tell.

Time for a rest before deciding on what to do next.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Swap out Corsair HXi for a Corsair CX/CXM green label for more green /s

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Swap out Corsair HXi for a Corsair CX/CXM green label for more green /s

Isn't that the "bad" one? Also PSU isn't visible...

I am debating putting more lighting in it... maybe another pack of the HD120s to replace the two on the Noctua and the rear case fan? Or is that getting excessive?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

18 minutes ago, porina said:

Isn't that the "bad" one? Also PSU isn't visible...

I am debating putting more lighting in it... maybe another pack of the HD120s to replace the two on the Noctua and the rear case fan? Or is that getting excessive?

It's definitely getting excessive 

My life

Speaking of excessive, I'm looking at after market cable kits for the PSU... I realise there's work gone into making them, but a full set would cost almost as much as the PSU itself!

SATA cables don't seem to have many options either. There's the generic florescent green ones which seem to be my best bet. Bitfenix sleeved ones seem too short, are too dark a green as far as I can tell from photos. They're also much more expensive, plus the plugs are still black. It isn't selling itself to me...