The 'Fappening' hackers have been sentenced!

The Fappening Hackers Sentence Results  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Was the sentence fair?

• They got too little time!
    • Don't think they should have been charged at all...
    • Eh, we could care less.
    • They should be put away for life!
    • Yes, they got what they deserved.

5 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Frankly, all these posts show a disgustingly stupid line of reasoning. Basically, you are saying "if he was walking at night through that dangerous neighborhood, he's as much to blame as the ones who robbed him". And borderline saying "is she was dressed like that, she's as much to blame as those who raped her". In case fapping interfered with your cognitive abilities: crimes are not defined but who and how stupid the victim is. Analyzing whether the victim was stupid / careless / overconfident / someone you dislike / etc is obviously irrelevant in judging the actions of a criminal acting against them, at least to any rational being. The crime is "stealing", not "stealing from smart people". Having a hackable storage for pics doesn't remove the offense of hacking, just like having stealable goods (basically, all goods) doesn't remove the offense of stealing. I'd love to hear you say "it's my fault for parking in the street, and why did I have a car in the first place?" if and when you get your car stolen.

There is zero need to discuss the victims and their legal actions to decide on the punishment applied on the offenders due to their illegal actions.

Maybe because it's her fucking right to do so if she pleases? And she's also free to choose whether to do it privately or publicly? I think you may find John Oliver's interviewing Ed Snowden highly didactic, especially when he's asked whether we should stop doing certain things given the widespread incidence of espionage on random citizens.

With respect to "as much to blame as the hackers", see above.

Indeed, I think people mistake visibility and press coverage with things actually happening

I'm also troubled by people in this forum seemingly having stronger stances against piracy than privacy violations and malicious hacking.

Ow please. I think you're contradicting many things, naive in a way you think privacy exists too. 

Saying like victim is never to blame, not even in a bit way. Really? Like someone walking known dangerous gang street place at night and got shot, person is not to blame at all? How did you get out of context that anyone said victim is as much as blame as attacker? You obviously wouldn't dress provocatively and walk or hang in suspicious places right? Or you encourage that cause "every haves right to do what it wants" thing. That's being stupid 101

If you're going to put nudes online, you should go with mentality that they can be breached and that you shouldn't feel bad if it happens, otherwise you're an idiot and irresponsible adult about yourself. You're twisting words or don't understand certain things then.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Frankly, all these posts show a disgustingly stupid line of reasoning. Basically, you are saying "if he was walking at night through that dangerous neighborhood, he's as much to blame as the ones who robbed him". And borderline saying "is she was dressed like that, she's as much to blame as those who raped her". In case fapping interfered with your cognitive abilities: crimes are not defined but who and how stupid the victim is. Analyzing whether the victim was stupid / careless / overconfident / someone you dislike / etc is obviously irrelevant in judging the actions of a criminal acting against them, at least to any rational being. The crime is "stealing", not "stealing from smart people". Having a hackable storage for pics doesn't remove the offense of hacking, just like having stealable goods (basically, all goods) doesn't remove the offense of stealing. I'd love to hear you say "it's my fault for parking in the street, and why did I have a car in the first place?" if and when you get your car stolen.

There is zero need to discuss the victims and their legal actions to decide on the punishment applied on the offenders due to their illegal actions.

So your saying someone who knowingly walks alone at night through a bad neighborhood doesn't have any responsibility for what is going to happen to them?

You ideology is sweet but its wrong, part of being a responsible adult is weighing up risks and choosing if the risk is worth it or not. If you choose to take a risk then you share part of the blame should something go wrong as part of the outcome, that's life. If you knowingly put yourself in a dangerous situation then its no one fault but yours if you end up in danger.

Adults are supposed to use a small thing called common sense, its the rational ability to decide if their actions are stupid or not and might end up presenting them with a bad situation.

Parking your car in the street? Nothing wrong with that, everyone does it because most people have no choice and its called taking a measured risk. You do it knowing theres a small chance your car might be stolen but also knowing your car is insured.

A celebrity posting images of him/herself masturbating on the internet? There's no reasonable way to justify that action as anything other than stupidity.

Also I don't see anybody saying what happened was OK or that they deserved it, just that if they'd used common sense then their situation would never have existed.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

One way to look at it is anything you post on the internet is like doing something in a packed bar where all your friends and their friends will be.  If you would not do it there, then don't do it on the internet.  Plain and simple.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

On 1/30/2017 at 2:55 AM, Doobeedoo said:

How did you get out of context that anyone said victim is as much as blame as attacker? 

On 1/30/2017 at 9:47 AM, Master Disaster said:

Also I don't see anybody saying what happened was OK or that they deserved it, just that if they'd used common sense then their situation would never have existed.

I quoted posts explicitly claiming these things. You also have the votes for "they shouldn't have been charged at all".

Regarding everything else in your replies, I amply covered that in my first post. You also don't seem to distinguish between known risks and unknown risks (and/or the difference between ignorance and stupidity), nor the difference between any type of risk (or stupidity, ignorance, etc) and blame. The irony is that you hold them accountable for their technology ignorance, yet you fail to distinguish a cloud storage service (services that are increasingly pushed through default options, resulting in some users not even knowing they are users) from "the internet":

On 1/30/2017 at 9:47 AM, Master Disaster said:

A celebrity posting images of him/herself masturbating on the internet? There's no reasonable way to justify that action as anything other than stupidity.

(I quote in case you also reply that "no one ever said...")

And above all, the point remains that you insist on discussing the victims and what names to call them, like it has any bearing on what should be done about the ones committing the crime.

This "debate" is so one-sided that it's really pointless.

17 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I quoted posts explicitly claiming these things. You also have the votes for "they shouldn't have been charged at all".

Regarding everything else in your replies, I amply covered that in my first post. You also don't seem to distinguish between known risks and unknown risks (and/or the difference between ignorance and stupidity), nor the difference between any type of risk (or stupidity, ignorance, etc) and blame. The irony is that you hold them accountable for their technology ignorance, yet you fail to distinguish a cloud storage service (services that are increasingly pushed through default options, resulting in some users not even knowing they are users) from "the internet":

(I quote in case you also reply that "no one ever said...")

And above all, the point remains that you insist on discussing the victims and what names to call them, like it has any bearing on what should be done about the ones committing the crime.

This "debate" is so one-sided that it's really pointless.

The whole farce is one sided. The hackers the bad guys and the celebs are the innocent victims as far as the media concerned. But in reality those celebs are just as much to blame as the hackers..."Not knowing the law does not exempt from the penalty." The same principle applies her IMHO, not knowing the risk wont exempt anyone from the consequences...9_9

They can blame only themselves for this whole farce so i dont care how much they cry or do whatever they doing... -_-

On 1/28/2017 at 11:35 AM, dalekphalm said:

Totally off topic man, kind of a pointless post. PM him if you want to congrats him on being a Mod. Not to mention he's been a mod for ages...

Does that really matter? I mean seriously.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Does that really matter? I mean seriously.

It does now, since this is what, 3-4 off topic posts between us now? I don't mind a post that derails a little, if that happens naturally via something that comes up in the discussion. But your post was not related to the topic, and didn't contribute to the discussion at all. You want to congratulate him? Cool! I bet he'd feel more appreciative if you sent him a PM though, since it would be more personal and meaningful anyway.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

17 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

It does now, since this is what, 3-4 off topic posts between us now? I don't mind a post that derails a little, if that happens naturally via something that comes up in the discussion. But your post was not related to the topic, and didn't contribute to the discussion at all. You want to congratulate him? Cool! I bet he'd feel more appreciative if you sent him a PM though, since it would be more personal and meaningful anyway.

Lol you don't even recognize that I wasn't the person that did so.

But if you hadn't made a backseat moderation effort out of it, it literally would have just been a single message and gg.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

On 1/29/2017 at 8:20 AM, LAwLz said:

Jail isn't meant to be a weapon used to ruin someone's life just because you dislike them or the things they did

In the distant past, and current South Africa, they build prison walls around their houses to keep bad people out. We have the opposite where the situation is inverted. Jail only serves one practical benefit; that is to remove a dangerous person from society. It is expensive and does damage a person and certainly the lengths of sentence do appear to be used as a tool for revenge, "paying back debt to society". For some reason we cannot deport the worst offenders to Antarctica or Elephant Island which is what I would like to happen; it is the only NZ territory that has no children or future victims, except penguins, maybe its not good for the penguins

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

IMG_0334.JPG

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Lol you don't even recognize that I wasn't the person that did so.

But if you hadn't made a backseat moderation effort out of it, it literally would have just been a single message and gg.

You're correct, I did not recognize that it was a different person. Mostly because that was on the first page of the thread, and I had long since moved on... You were the one who brought this topic back up. I apologize for thinking you were the original person I quoted, but I do not apologize for my comments towards him. Your comments are no less backseat moderation then mine, only in a different form. And yet, here we still are, discussing something off topic.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Hey I like seeing jennifer lawrencw nude as any other guy but its nor meant for me and it shows disrespect their human beings you know?

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2017 at 5:10 AM, Kierax said:

You stole that! xD 

On 7/9/2016 at 5:20 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

ezgif-2704569770.gif

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You stole that! xD 

Yup.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

9 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Yup.

If I were less professional, I could use my powers to do something about that :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If I were less professional, I could use my powers to do something about that :P

Yup :P

ok first off i want too say if you makes this kind of pictures and put it on the internet thats stupid. it feels a bit like leaving your wallet on the ground in the city and getting all pissy when somebody doesnt respect your personal property. if you have something of value and you dont want people to get it maybe dont upload it to some server have way across the planet you dont know who has access to.

then again yes hacking in and taking whats not yours it illegal. all im saying is i blame both the person taking the wallet thats not theirs and those leaving their wallets on the ground all over place.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 hour ago, cluelessgenius said:

ok first off i want too say if you makes this kind of pictures and put it on the internet thats stupid. it feels a bit like leaving your wallet on the ground in the city and getting all pissy when somebody doesnt respect your personal property. if you have something of value and you dont want people to get it maybe dont upload it to some server have way across the planet you dont know who has access to.

then again yes hacking in and taking whats not yours it illegal. all im saying is i blame both the person taking the wallet thats not theirs and those leaving their wallets on the ground all over place.

I would personally say it's a bit different then the scenario you describe.

Certainly, it's true that in a Cloud Server, we don't really know who has access. We have to trust that the Cloud operators won't go snooping through our files or give out access to people that are unauthorized.

But it's NOT the equivalent of leaving your wallet on the ground. The equivalent to that would be uploading the videos to something like Facebook with the title "SUPER PRIVATE PLZ DON'T WATCH!"

It's more akin to leaving your wallet locked in the glove box of your car. Sure, a thief can and will break into your car, and get into the glove box if (s)he really wants to. But it's still a locked compartment with security features, and there's the expectation that what you store inside the glove box is for you, and not for random people walking by your car.

Obviously, no matter where you store a digital file, there's the risk of hacking, unless it's totally disconnected from the Internet. But at the same time, we accept some level of risk for the convenience factor. Same reason I use online banking, for example. Sure, the bank could get hacked, and my personal financial information could get leaked or stolen, but I take the chance that the bank has good security, and that I take enough precautions to avoid issues, such as a strong password.

Frankly, we should be teaching people how to make good passwords, and never to use the same password across multiple accounts, rather than blaming them for wanting to take some private nudes.

The blame should primarily be on the intruders, not the victims.

It's easy to say "well, don't put racy photos on a cloud service."  But it's not so simple as that.  Assuming you even know how cloud services work (many people don't), you have to weigh the risk of a compromised account versus, say, losing everything on your phone if it's destroyed or stolen.

To draw on the analogy used earlier: yes, walking down a dark, secluded street increases the risk of being mugged or sexually assaulted.  But it's not as simple as saying "don't walk down that street."  What if that's where you live, or it's the only realistic way to get to where you're going?  That's part of why you don't lay a large amount of blame on the victim.  You frequently don't know the context behind the decisions they made, and it's easy to say they shouldn't have done X or Y when you have the benefit of hindsight.  The only certainty is that the perpetrator committed an unforced criminal act.

On 1/29/2017 at 1:23 AM, JAKEBAB said:

Hmm hard question Op, on one hand i think there should be no prison time maybe house arrest and computer ban for 12 months. On the other i think if this happened to me id want them to rot in jail forever lol.

I do think what they got is a bit excessive speaking as a bystander  but like i said if it was me i still wouldnt be happy.

If you release intimate photos like that you can really hurt someone. I think prison time sends an appropriate message. That this won't be tolerated. People have a right to privacy. Even celebrities have emotions and need to be treated fairly and with respect. 

22 minutes ago, Walms said:

If you release intimate photos like that you can really hurt someone. I think prison time sends an appropriate message. That this won't be tolerated. People have a right to privacy. Even celebrities have emotions and need to be treated fairly and with respect. 

If these people were so worried about privacy they wouldn't have taken these photos and put them on the internet.

24 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

If these people were so worried about privacy they wouldn't have taken these photos and put them on the internet.

Your medical records, bank accounts, phone records, school transcripts are all on internet connected systems. Does that mean you don't care about privacy? 

Taking nude photos has an element of risk. I'd prefer never to take that risk. But no one has the right to take those photos from a private secured system and publish them online. It's a very personal violation.  Consent is so imporatant in any intimate act, sharing nude photos is such an act. Putting photos in the cloud may be risky (a risk non technical people are unqualified to quantify) but it's by no means consent. 

Just now, Walms said:

Your medical records, bank accounts, phone records, school transcripts are all on internet connected systems. Does that mean you don't care about privacy? 

Taking nude photos has an element of risk. I'd prefer never to take that risk. But no one has the right to take those photos from a private secured system and publish them online. It's a very personal violation.  Consent is so imporatant in any intimate act, sharing nude photos is such an act. Putting photos in the cloud may be risky (a risk non technical people are unqualified to quantify) but it's by no means consent. 

Hardly the same thing, medical records, bank accounts etc aren't voluntary and are in what i'd assume a far more secure place.

I never said it was right what these people did, but at the same time you can't blame this all on the hacker when like you said there is known risks. If you want to use these services you should damn well know these risks, I'm sick of this generation crying victim over their own ignorance.

1 hour ago, JAKEBAB said:

Hardly the same thing, medical records, bank accounts etc aren't voluntary and are in what i'd assume a far more secure place.

I never said it was right what these people did, but at the same time you can't blame this all on the hacker when like you said there is known risks. If you want to use these services you should damn well know these risks, I'm sick of this generation crying victim over their own ignorance.

I beg to differ. Do you have an online bank account? If so, you voluntarily hold that information on the internet. All it takes is someone to crack your password through social engineering - which, is exactly what happened with the iCloud leak. iCloud's security systems weren't breached or bypassed. The hacker was able to get the password for the account, and assume control. Since then, I do believe Apple has beefed up security even further to try and prevent this from happening again.

The risks of getting your cloud storage account (iCloud, Google Drive, OneDrive) hacked are actually incredibly small. Most of these kinds of hacks are due to user error in choosing a bad password, or in inadvertently giving away that password via very convincing means (some phishing websites and emails look 100% authentic to a non-technical user - hell some would even fool technical users, unless they were especially careful).

Your argument would be the same as something like: Well I should just keep all my cash under my mattress at home, because the bank could be robbed or hacked.