The 'Fappening' hackers have been sentenced!

The Fappening Hackers Sentence Results  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Was the sentence fair?

• They got too little time!
    • Don't think they should have been charged at all...
    • Eh, we could care less.
    • They should be put away for life!
    • Yes, they got what they deserved.

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Totally off topic man, kind of a pointless post. PM him if you want to congrats him on being a Mod. Not to mention he's been a mod for ages...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i just haven't seen him around, so i assumed he's a new mod here, since there's a influx of new mods again.. (its time time of year)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

33 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

That's simply because those kinds of news reports aren't interesting enough. You might see some local headlines now and then about hacking, but if the hacker is targeting regular folks, then the trial and conviction simply won't reach the major headlines. It still happens though.

im talking about people i know personally or via work etc. i can already count 10 cases which never heard back about it that are widespread. this case was high profile and we both know that weighs heavily on government officials. im not saying they don't do anything but if it makes national news they make sure they perform optimal.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

im talking about people i know personally or via work etc. i can already count 10 cases which never heard back about it that are widespread. this case was high profile and we both know that weighs heavily on government officials. im not saying they don't do anything but if it makes national news they make sure they perform optimal.

I think in the anecdotal cases you know of personally, it was probably a lack of evidence to warrant a investigation. Or an investigation was held and again, a lack of evidence as found. Either could have transpired without you knowing or hearing about it.

Widespread attacks, especially those done by a single person or group, are far easier to deal with because there's a wealth of evidence in comparison to a single "hack".

Them being celebrities certainly did help the case keep a high profile. But the same can and does happen with non-celebrity victims too.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Them being celebrities certainly did help the case keep a high profile. But the same can and does happen with non-celebrity victims too.

you're completely misrepresenting my point. my point is that them being celebrity's gives their case a higher chance of success.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

you're completely misrepresenting my point. my point is that them being celebrity's gives their case a higher chance of success.

I understand that's your point, but your point is more, well... your opinion. There are no facts to back either side of this argument.

We can suspect that them being celebrities gives their case a higher chance of success. But it's just a suspicion. I would say, at best, it gives the investigation a higher chance of actually collecting enough evidence for a trial. Once it goes to trial, the chances of successful conviction are probably identical. These guys were pretty much boned the moment they were charged, regardless of who the victims were.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The fappening was pretty tame TBH, mostly just glamour shots and sexy poses, a few topless and hardly any sex shots though why the fuck Hillary Duff felt the need to post full spread eagle female flower shots of herself onto the cloud I'll never know, at that point you have to start questioning whether she was just as much to blame as the hackers. Seriously if you've not looked at Hillary Duffs pictures yet you should because she shows everything, literally holding her labia open while taking the photo.

If she wants to masturbate then fine, heck its something most people do but for the love of god don't snap yourself doing it then put the pictures on the internet, that's just asking for trouble.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

17 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The fappening was pretty tame TBH, mostly just glamour shots and sexy poses, a few topless and hardly any sex shots though why the fuck Hillary Duff felt the need to post full spread eagle female flower shots of herself onto the cloud I'll never know, at that point you have to start questioning whether she was just as much to blame as the hackers. Seriously if you've not looked at Hillary Duffs pictures yet you should because she shows everything, literally holding her labia open while taking the photo.

If she wants to masturbate then fine, heck its something most people do but for the love of god don't snap yourself doing it then put the pictures on the internet, that's just asking for trouble.

I've seen a vagina before. No need to track down Duff's photos.

Celebrities are people too. They are also just like normal people. Some are good with technology, many aren't. I don't care what celebrities do in privacy. They can take nudes, masturbate to the camera, whatever. Not my business. Obviously no security is perfect, but there was an expectation that these things would remain private.

I feel like the celebrities got treated worse for "nudes", simply because they're celebrities/rich/famous. Obviously not everyone treated them that way, but there is definitely a severe lack of empathy, that I doubt would happen if it were, say, someones sister or cousin or girlfriend that was hacked instead.

what is the risk of repeat offence? i think it would be high because of how easy it was to do; so i think the punishment should be higher because of this

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Reading threads like these always makes me sad, because people act and think like barbarians. People seriously want them to be in jail for 5+ years? Come on. The only thing that would do is ruin their lives. If they get sentenced for 9 months then they have a chance to adapt into society afterwards. Possibly even get a security related job and this could be a merit (depending on how it was pulled off).

People seem to love revenge, but you shouldn't send people to prison for revenge. It should be for rehab. Jail isn't meant to be a weapon used to ruin someone's life just because you dislike them or the things they did. Putting them in jail for several years would only result in:

1) Them having a very hard time adapting to the world once they get out.

2) Their current knowledge would be completely wasted.

3) Chances are they would feel very bitter and resentful to the people in power who depraved them of their youth and freedom (I am just assuming they are young).

4) Cost a lot of unnecessary money which could have been used on more important things like infrastructure, health care or education.

People who are saying they should be punished more are literally saying "I hate them so much that I would rather take money away from healthcare and other more important things, just so that we could ruin their lives, because they posted some pictures of tits and ass on the Internet".

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Jail isn't meant to be a weapon used to ruin someone's life just because you dislike them or the things they did.

Thats the truth. The sad part is that a certain industry does this just because they cant adapt to the changing world...

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

I've seen a vagina before. No need to track down Duff's photos.

Celebrities are people too. They are also just like normal people. Some are good with technology, many aren't. I don't care what celebrities do in privacy. They can take nudes, masturbate to the camera, whatever. Not my business. Obviously no security is perfect, but there was an expectation that these things would remain private.

I feel like the celebrities got treated worse for "nudes", simply because they're celebrities/rich/famous. Obviously not everyone treated them that way, but there is definitely a severe lack of empathy, that I doubt would happen if it were, say, someones sister or cousin or girlfriend that was hacked instead.

Quite honestly I'd find it hard to show empathy to anybody whose naked pictures they posted on the internet got leaked, celebrity or not. IMO its their own damn fault for posting them on the internet in the first place.

I 100% agree that whatever they (or indeed anybody) choose to do in the privacy of their own *insert space here* is their business but as I said, if they choose to document their *behaviours* by taking photos then its up to them to keep said photos safe and at no point is posting them onto the internet (in any way, shape or form, private or not) a good way of keeping them safe.

I don't feel any different towards any of the celebs because I've seen some images of them in exposed situations and I certainly wouldn't treat any of them differently (should the opportunity ever present itself) because as you said, they're only human and humans make mistakes all the time but I do think at least some portion of the blame lies with them for publishing the images in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying the hack or legitimising the leaks, that was wrong and the hackers did deserve to be punished but if the celebs used even a small amount of common sense this situation would never have h(f)appened in the first place.

Also just a word on the Duff photos, when I was in my teens (a loooooong time ago) she was the girl I had a huge crush on (her and Alicia Silverstone), I used to watch Lizzie McGuire just because she was in it so I guess the fact that she exposed herself so much kinda shocked me, I think she's gone really ugly as she's gotten older though.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I'd say that sentence is fine. IDK if that's all they did was leak some pics, but if you take a picture of anything it's better to assume everybody can see it in the first place.

4 hours ago, FloRolf said:

wasnt it just phishing? So it's the "victims" fault for being so stupid.

And i can see that unnamed celebrity really needing that 5.7k.

Social engineering paired with a flaw in an app that allowed unlimited password attempts. I believe Apple said they had set it up like that so a password change wouldn't cause the app to try the old password multiple times and lock the account. It has since been fixed.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Good thing,  i wonder how many of those celebs would legit fall for the Nigerian prince scam

in other news , weird Anthony wieners pics were were shown partly censored right outta the box by news outlets & paraded around , but i agree that hes a proper perv, but when celebrity pics leaks , its a no no , fully censor that shit! & its a crime to look at em.

Details separate people.

8 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

they should have gotten a bigger fine

I doubt the rich celebrities needs more money, and that payment was probably brought down because of the plea deal.

Also, I just realized only one of the two people got 9 months. The other one got 3 years. I think that's way too much. Good job America. You might have created a monster, for no purpose other than "he deserves it for posting nudes on the Internet!".

11 hours ago, Bensemus said:

Social engineering paired with a flaw in an app that allowed unlimited password attempts. I believe Apple said they had set it up like that so a password change wouldn't cause the app to try the old password multiple times and lock the account. It has since been fixed.

so many fancy "PC" words flying about. Call it for what it is, not what the media want you to call it.

Sentence seems a tad heavy on jail time but I am sure good behavior will get them out on parole before that, seems fair to me for the "damage" cause which really wasn't much.

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 hours ago, Prysin said:

so many fancy "PC" words flying about. Call it for what it is, not what the media want you to call it.

How is social engineering (the use of deception to manipulate individuals into divulging confidential or personal information that may be used for fraudulent purposes.) PC? The hackers made educated guesses at the password and Apple had a flaw that allowed it to happen.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

On 1/28/2017 at 2:50 PM, Doobeedoo said:

Couldn't care less about the this thing, sure it's a bad thing what they did though. Meh, oh wow naked human body, who haves that huh...
Also, victims are stupid, you like to admit it or not. If I would want to store naked media online or use service like Snapchat I would at least go with mentality: "well if it possibly gets hacked or so, fuck it" cause I'm aware of such thing. Not being aware that it's possible that such data can be breached is delusional, ignorant which makes it irresponsible.

On 1/28/2017 at 4:39 PM, jagdtigger said:

Those idiots called celebrities got what they deserved. Never store anything in the cloud unless you encrypted it before upload and store the keys at a safe location(preferably an offline machine).

On 1/28/2017 at 6:19 PM, FloRolf said:

wasnt it just phishing? So it's the "victims" fault for being so stupid.

And i can see that unnamed celebrity really needing that 5.7k.

On 1/28/2017 at 9:03 PM, Master Disaster said:

Quite honestly I'd find it hard to show empathy to anybody whose naked pictures they posted on the internet got leaked, celebrity or not. IMO its their own damn fault for posting them on the internet in the first place.

I 100% agree that whatever they (or indeed anybody) choose to do in the privacy of their own *insert space here* is their business but as I said, if they choose to document their *behaviours* by taking photos then its up to them to keep said photos safe and at no point is posting them onto the internet (in any way, shape or form, private or not) a good way of keeping them safe.

I don't feel any different towards any of the celebs because I've seen some images of them in exposed situations and I certainly wouldn't treat any of them differently (should the opportunity ever present itself) because as you said, they're only human and humans make mistakes all the time but I do think at least some portion of the blame lies with them for publishing the images in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying the hack or legitimising the leaks, that was wrong and the hackers did deserve to be punished but if the celebs used even a small amount of common sense this situation would never have h(f)appened in the first place.

Also just a word on the Duff photos, when I was in my teens (a loooooong time ago) she was the girl I had a huge crush on (her and Alicia Silverstone), I used to watch Lizzie McGuire just because she was in it so I guess the fact that she exposed herself so much kinda shocked me, I think she's gone really ugly as she's gotten older though.

Frankly, all these posts show a disgustingly stupid line of reasoning. Basically, you are saying "if he was walking at night through that dangerous neighborhood, he's as much to blame as the ones who robbed him". And borderline saying "is she was dressed like that, she's as much to blame as those who raped her". In case fapping interfered with your cognitive abilities: crimes are not defined but who and how stupid the victim is. Analyzing whether the victim was stupid / careless / overconfident / someone you dislike / etc is obviously irrelevant in judging the actions of a criminal acting against them, at least to any rational being. The crime is "stealing", not "stealing from smart people". Having a hackable storage for pics doesn't remove the offense of hacking, just like having stealable goods (basically, all goods) doesn't remove the offense of stealing. I'd love to hear you say "it's my fault for parking in the street, and why did I have a car in the first place?" if and when you get your car stolen.

There is zero need to discuss the victims and their legal actions to decide on the punishment applied on the offenders due to their illegal actions.

On 1/28/2017 at 7:38 PM, Master Disaster said:

The fappening was pretty tame TBH, mostly just glamour shots and sexy poses, a few topless and hardly any sex shots though why the fuck Hillary Duff felt the need to post full spread eagle female flower shots of herself onto the cloud I'll never know, at that point you have to start questioning whether she was just as much to blame as the hackers.

Maybe because it's her fucking right to do so if she pleases? And she's also free to choose whether to do it privately or publicly? I think you may find John Oliver's interviewing Ed Snowden highly didactic, especially when he's asked whether we should stop doing certain things given the widespread incidence of espionage on random citizens.

With respect to "as much to blame as the hackers", see above.

On 1/28/2017 at 6:14 PM, dalekphalm said:

Hardline disagree with you. Regular people who do regular hacking, get convicted all the time. We just don't see it on International headlines because who cares? The only reason you've even heard about the conviction was because they were celebrities. Not much would change if they had been random people instead.

That's simply because those kinds of news reports aren't interesting enough. You might see some local headlines now and then about hacking, but if the hacker is targeting regular folks, then the trial and conviction simply won't reach the major headlines. It still happens though.

Indeed, I think people mistake visibility and press coverage with things actually happening

On 1/28/2017 at 4:16 PM, CtrlAltELITE said:

Honestly I disagree, the types of sentence they where given are pretty much in line with what normal hacking will get you, which coincidentally is a lot less than what you get in the US for sharing copyrighted content. Courts didn't seem to factor in the fact that it was a high profile case.

I'm also troubled by people in this forum seemingly having stronger stances against piracy than privacy violations and malicious hacking.

On 1/28/2017 at 8:23 PM, JAKEBAB said:

Hmm hard question Op, on one hand i think there should be no prison time maybe house arrest and computer ban for 12 months. On the other i think if this happened to me id want them to rot in jail forever lol.

I do think what they got is a bit excessive speaking as a bystander  but like i said if it was me i still wouldnt be happy.

What are you doing with your other hand? LOL

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

On 1/29/2017 at 2:38 AM, Master Disaster said:

Melissa Benoist sex shots.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink