Cryorig H7 not performing as expected

Hi,

I  have an i7-7700k and a Cryorig H7 air cooler and am kinda confused as to why my CPU is getting so hot.

Using Core Temp 1.5 my cores are under 1 or 2% load and still running at 40 - 45 degrees - even I know that is too hot for that load!

When running AIDA 64 FPU it went up to 97% on 3 of my cores, and 93 on the other one.

I do not understand why. Everywhere I've seen, people have been getting around 30 - 35 degrees with no load with this same processor and cooler - but mine is at 45? 

The only thing I could think of is my thermal paste application isn't good - but I took it off today and re-applied it and nothing changed.

This was my first time building a PC, so it is likely I could have done the thermal paste wrong.

I am using Arctic MX-2 compound, which I thought was a good one - but maybe I am wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as right now I am scared to do much in fear of making my CPU get too hot.

How fast is the fan spinning, also, which thermal paste application method did you use?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

6 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

How fast is the fan spinning, also, which thermal paste application method did you use?

How can see how fast it's spinning?

And I tried my best to do the line method, as I watched a lot of Linus' build guides.

1 minute ago, NinjaSandvich said:

How can see how fast it's spinning?

And I tried my best to do the line method, as I watched a lot of Linus' build guides.

Download HWMonitor and send a screenshot...

The line method is the best (IMO at least), so this shouldn't be an issue...

Is your CPU overclocked?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I'm pretty sure 40-45 on idle is normal. Your ambient temperature could be warmer than what you've been seeing elsewhere, possibly? Physics, man.

And did you intentionally type 93% and not 93C?

9 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I'm pretty sure 40-45 on idle is normal. Your ambient temperature could be warmer than what you've been seeing elsewhere, possibly? Physics, man.

And did you intentionally type 93% and not 93C?

Ah, sorry that was supposed to be 97C, my bad.

And maybe it is, but 97C seems very hot to me - I know games won't use 100% of my CPU like AIDA, but still - it is kinda scary for my first build.

Just now, NinjaSandvich said:

Ah, sorry that was supposed to be 97C, my bad.

And maybe it is, but 97C seems very hot to me - I know games won't use 100% of my CPU like AIDA, but still - it is kinda scary for my first build.

What is the voltage like for the CPU? What case are you using?

12 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Download HWMonitor and send a screenshot...

The line method is the best (IMO at least), so this shouldn't be an issue...

Is your CPU overclocked?

It's not OC'd and I guess I could have put too little thermal compound on, but last time when I took it off it was covering the whole CPU.

Here's a SS: https://gyazo.com/24b5aa1da1e1a4cae75ed6d078247295

It's not OC'd and I guess I could have put too little thermal compound on, but last time when I took it off it was covering the whole CPU.

Here's a SS: https://gyazo.com/24b5aa1da1e1a4cae75ed6d078247295

try setting all the fans to 100% in the BIOS....

7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

try setting all the fans to 100% in the BIOS....

That seems to have worked, before it tooks about 2 - 3 mins to get up to 95% running Prime95, now it's been going for 3 - 4 mins and is at 75 - 80C.

Although, this may have also been because it seems I accidentally disabled turbo boost, so it's now just running 4.2GHz, rather than the 4.5GHz it was before - could this have made that much difference?

That seems to have worked, before it tooks about 2 - 3 mins to get up to 95% running Prime95, now it's been going for 3 - 4 mins and is at 75 - 80C.

Although, this may have also been because it seems I accidentally disabled turbo boost, so it's now just running 4.2GHz, rather than the 4.5GHz it was before - could this have made that much difference?

Nah, this shouldn't have affected the results... 75C is still pretty high though... Use the included Cryorig Thermal Paste and see whether that makes a difference...

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Nah, this shouldn't have affected the results... 75C is still pretty high though... Use the included Cryorig Thermal Paste and see whether that makes a difference...

You think that could be better than Arctic MX-2? 

If so, I'll try it tomorrow - I've spent enough time fiddling around with my PC today :)

You think that could be better than Arctic MX-2? 

If so, I'll try it tomorrow - I've spent enough time fiddling around with my PC today :)

I think that the included thermal paste is slightly better than MX-2 and slightly worse than MX-4...

Also, make sure that the cooler is securely mounted. (Low mounting pressure can cause issues like this)

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I think that the included thermal paste is slightly better than MX-2 and slightly worse than MX-4...

Also, make sure that the cooler is securely mounted. (Low mounting pressure can cause issues like this)

Ok, I'll try the Cryorig thermal paste tomorrow.

23 hours ago, NinjaSandvich said:

Ok, I'll try the Cryorig thermal paste tomorrow.

Np. Make sure to let me know if it worked! :D

@NinjaSandvich Some 7700Ks run much hotter than others..... Your chip might be one of them.....

2 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

@NinjaSandvich Some 7700Ks run much hotter than others..... Your chip might be one of them.....

That is not exactly what I wanted to hear, but is there anything else I could do to help it? Obviously there's water cooling but, as I understand, the cheap ones of those are no better than a good air cooler and the pumps are really noisy.

More info about your setup might be helpful.  What case, and what case fans are you using?

Because unless the cooler is getting a good supply of fresh cool air then even the best will under perform.

35 minutes ago, NinjaSandvich said:

That is not exactly what I wanted to hear, but is there anything else I could do to help it? Obviously there's water cooling but, as I understand, the cheap ones of those are no better than a good air cooler and the pumps are really noisy.

Well, you can't really fix it, as it is related to the thermal compound between the CPU die and the IHS.... You need to either delid it or return it unfortunately....

19 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well, you can't really fix it, as it is related to the thermal compound between the CPU die and the IHS.... You need to either delid it or return it unfortunately....

No need, it seems, I found out I forgot to connect my optical drive to anything so I decided to replace the thermal compound while I was there - it's made a massive difference! 

I've been funning Prime95 for about 5 minutes now and It's at about 70 - 75C - on 100% load atm - let's hope this stays this way.

19 hours ago, ThomasD said:

More info about your setup might be helpful.  What case, and what case fans are you using?

Because unless the cooler is getting a good supply of fresh cool air then even the best will under perform.

It is a Zalman Z9 Neo case and came with 5 pre-installed fans, all 120mm, but idk the RPM and things like that.

3 minutes ago, NinjaSandvich said:

No need, it seems, I found out I forgot to connect my optical drive to anything so I decided to replace the thermal compound while I was there - it's made a massive difference! 

I've been funning Prime95 for about 5 minutes now and It's at about 70 - 75C - on 100% load atm - let's hope this stays this way.

Nice. Which thermal paste did you use?

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Nice. Which thermal paste did you use?

The one that came with the Cryorig H7 - I assume just the Cryorig stock paste.

The one that came with the Cryorig H7 - I assume just the Cryorig stock paste.

If you want something better, you can get some Arctic MX-4, but I don't think that it will make much difference....

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If you want something better, you can get some Arctic MX-4, but I don't think that it will make much difference....

This is fine for me, I don't really intend to OC, as I will mainly use this for gaming.

Thanks for all the help btw, it seems to have fixed it - after about 10 mins with Prime95 running it got up to a max of about 85C, still a bit high (I think) but that is an unrealistic amount of load for me gaming - it won't get near that :)

Not the same chip, but CLOSE and the same cooler. This is in a room with bad insulation and inside an itx build with a single top 140mm acting as intake with a low rpm exhaust fan.

becfed5e21.png

Glad you got things sorted! Using the default paste as well, it's pretty decent.

10 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Not the same chip, but CLOSE and the same cooler.

The 6700K is the best case scenario... The 7700K runs much hotter AFAIK...