Forum/Video suggestion

Ashiella

We should be able to use pictures and gifs larger than 2Mb for our profile picture imo. And it wouldn't be such a bad idea either. If he is hosting it himself he could put some more storage in it, or get Seagate to sponsor them 10TB drives, if they were to dedicate a video to it then that would be more money for them, as well as more forum views and the Seagate partnership if they don't have one already. If they are using squarespace or something similar to host the LTT forums, it could be a project for him to host the forums without using a 3rd party. Either way it might be a decent video, personally I watch every single LTT video except for the wan show every now and then. I would probably watch a video like this too because I like watching him deal with server stuff and seeing him fail every now and then. @Slick @nicklmg @LinusTech

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Wait, what do you want? I mean currently we can upload something upto 20MB directly on the forum so...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Wait, what do you want? I mean currently we can upload something upto 20MB directly on the forum so...

Profile pictures essentially, and increasing those current limits of 20mb.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Profile pictures essentially, and increasing those current limits of 20mb.

Why do we want videos as our profile picture? I mean how is 2MB not enough for the picture/gif you want? :D 

Why do we want videos as our profile picture? I mean how is 20MB not enough for the picture/gif you want? :D 

We are only allowed 2mb for Pfp, and what if you want high quality, like 4K Linus meme gifs.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

It is a VERY bad idea for them to host the forums themselves.

When the forum just started that's what they did, and it was a mess.

The forums are hosted in a proper datacenter in the US with much higher bandwidth internet connection.

Squarespace does not host forums.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

We are only allowed 2mb for Pfp, and what if you want high quality, like 4K Linus meme gifs.

And what's the point? Espeically with how the profile pictures are pretty small anyway unless you go into someone's profile...

And what's the point? Espeically with how the profile pictures are pretty small anyway unless you go into someone's profile...

All the quality?

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

All the quality?

And? All it's going to do is increase stress on their servers, increase data usage for both them and us ect. ect. while not actually doing anything to make our experience better on this forum...

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

And? All it's going to do is increase stress on their servers, increase data usage for both them and us ect. ect. while not actually doing anything to make our experience better on this forum...

Shsh, not the point.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Ashiella said:

Shsh, not the point.

Thats exactly the point. Profile oics are small that even 500*500 is enough. Theres literally no point in have a 4k profile pic, because I dont think theres a monitor good enough to express 4k on like 2cm^2 at native res. Hell, your profile pic is already high enough res and framerate, and there arw many other users with very highquality profile pics as well. Its more than enough.

- snip-

22 hours ago, Ashiella said:

Shsh, not the point.

So the point is to do something pointless which makes things worse for most users? Gifs are already making forums slower than what they would be without. Loading higher res pics on mobile data isn't very good idea either.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Quite a lot of people are on data caps due to Internet companies never watching A Christmas Carol.  Just be happy with what we have currently.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Compress your image. Gifs put quite a bit more strain on the servers (ot at least they did before), so I'm a little susprised that we allow them at all. 

I often check LTT on the go, and I have a 0.01mbit data connection on my phone, so even my profile pic creates a fair dent in the load time of a page.

@Kierax what is the point trying to be made here?

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Compress your image. Gifs put quite a bit more strain on the servers (ot at least they did before), so I'm a little susprised that we allow them at all. 

I often check LTT on the go, and I have a 0.01mbit data connection on my phone, so even my profile pic creates a fair dent in the load time of a page.

26Zv2DJ.gif

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

4 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

@Kierax what is the point trying to be made here?

None, none at all.  How do you get only 0.01mbit phone connection? 

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I pay 4$ a month for unlimited talk, text, and data. After 1GB, data speeds drop to potato.

Actually better than what I have, limited on minutes+text but 1GB on 4G LTE, after that I get charged.  

57 minutes ago, Kierax said:

26Zv2DJ.gif

I need higher quality memes.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

The reason, I believe, for the limitation is gifs take more data and more CPU power, both of which are of concern on phones.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

At the moment, gif profile pictures already account for the majority of each page's download size, and also cause a significant performance impact when rendered. If anything, I have been considering reducing the limit.

HTTP/2 203

On 1/28/2017 at 2:33 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

The reason, I believe, for the limitation is gifs take more data and more CPU power, both of which are of concern on phones.

Speaking of phones; Whenever I quote someone and then try to type stuff like this happens: "w.wh..wha...what....?....?.?" just trying to type the word "what?"

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Speaking of phones; Whenever I quote someone and then try to type stuff like this happens: "w.wh..wha...what....?....?.?" just trying to type the word "what?"

I've heard a lot of problems related to mobile and quoting, but never that.  Sounds like it's probably an issue with your device but I have no idea.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I've heard a lot of problems related to mobile and quoting, but never that.  Sounds like it's probably an issue with your device but I have no idea.

The same thing, and other problems with quoting have happened on 5 different phones. My Galaxy s6, Iphone 5c, Asus Zenfone 2 Laser, friends Galaxy s7, Friends Note 3.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

The same thing, and other problems with quoting have happened on 5 different phones. My Galaxy s6, Iphone 5c, Asus Zenfone 2 Laser, friends Galaxy s7, Friends Note 3.

While browser and keyboard app remaining same? I know my similar issues have been because of keyboard app.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv