Guide to Display Cables / Adapters (v2)

Glenwing
9 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Hey @Glenwing, any information/notes regarding mHDMI ..?

I see miniDP is listed but was wondering if mHDMI was that relevant anymore :P

Having a slight issue (..or two :|) currently with my mHDMI port on my GPU and am struggling to find a temporary solution and was wondering if there was anything I didn't know about, lol

-Xiauj

Mini HDMI is the same deal as mDP, it's just a different shape connector, it doesn't affect anything. It's not listed because it's very uncommon and the HDMI article is already rather crowded.

2 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Mini HDMI is the same deal as mDP, it's just a different shape connector, it doesn't affect anything. It's not listed because it's very uncommon and the HDMI article is already rather crowded.

Aaah ok cool :) Understandable.

Having some issues with my mHDMI port + the cable atm and had thought it was the port on the GPU at first but if it's the same as miniDP then that's good to know

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

I've been looking for hours to find out the length of the DP cable that is supplied with the Asus PG279Q monitor that is on its way here. I'm really getting frustrated. I saw one place where it said it was only 3ft long and another one about 5ft long. 5ft would work but 3ft is way too short for my setup. So, I started looking out for a 6ft long DP cable and most of the time I see that it cannot work with 1440p/144Hz, so 165Hz would be even worse. Can someone tell me how long that stupid cable is please? I don't want to get that screen and not be able to use it, if you know what I mean. $1000 is a lot of $$$$ for me :-( And what if I get a 6ft long cable? By the way they are hard to find. WTF is it that DP is so mysterious? So weird! Can someone suggest a brand of cable that will work fine with this monitor? Don't tell me I will need to build a new compact PC to fit on my desk right beside the monitor  :-(

Can you please comment about VGA to DVI-D / DVI-D to VGA adapters?

Actually it makes sense, but its use is very specific.

I asked the seller about this, and the answer I've got validated @Paul's hyphothese, which is unfortunately deleted in the comments. In essence, the solution is the following:

This adapter converts only the plug layouts, but not the signals. It can be used only with the conjunction of an active adapter box.

Or, it can make also possible to transmit DVI-D or VGA signals on a physical, passive VGA/DVI-D tunnel, for example on some type of multiplexer.

Although the seller doesn't mention it explicitly, it also means, that at least on one of the plugs we get a highly extraordinary signal (digital signal on analog pins or vice versa).

https://superuser.com/questions/925943/passive-vga-to-dvi-d-adapter

There is a seller here selling DVI-D to VGA adapters, and he says:

Does not work with VGA monitors.

The DVI-D connector being digital, in this case the converted sinal will keep digital. For this your monitor needs to be digital or hybrid. If it is a analogic sinal only (VGA) monitor, will not be compatible. ATTENTION: this adapter is not compatible with VGA monitors.

I translated from my local language to english, so I hope you understand.

Based on this description, a monitor with both HDMI and VGA is a "hybrid"(?) and this adapter will work? For example, Dell SE2216H.

39 minutes ago, Razzee said:

Can you please comment about VGA to DVI-D / DVI-D to VGA adapters?

Actually it makes sense, but its use is very specific.

https://superuser.com/questions/925943/passive-vga-to-dvi-d-adapter

There is a seller here selling DVI-D to VGA adapters, and he says:

I translated from my local language to english, so I hope you understand.

Based on this description, a monitor with both HDMI and VGA is a "hybrid"(?) and this adapter will work? For example, Dell SE2216H.

It seems to be explained pretty well in that post already.

In order to connect a DVI-D device to a VGA device and have them communicate with each other, there are two things that need to be changed. The DVI device sends electrical signals that represent the image data. There are many different methods of representing any set of data with electrical signals, and the way that DVI represents data is completely different from how VGA represents the same data, so you need a device that takes in signals and converts it to an equivalent signal in the other format. The other thing is that DVI and VGA connectors are of course a different shape and will not fit together, so you need to change the physical shape of the plug when you convert the signals. That adapter looks like it only changes the physical shape of the plug, and needs to be used in combination with a device that will convert the signals. I don't know why a system would be designed with those two things done separately, but that is what appears to be the case.

On 04/04/2017 at 4:17 PM, richardp said:

I've been looking for hours to find out the length of the DP cable that is supplied with the Asus PG279Q monitor that is on its way here. I'm really getting frustrated. I saw one place where it said it was only 3ft long and another one about 5ft long. 5ft would work but 3ft is way too short for my setup. So, I started looking out for a 6ft long DP cable and most of the time I see that it cannot work with 1440p/144Hz, so 165Hz would be even worse. Can someone tell me how long that stupid cable is please? I don't want to get that screen and not be able to use it, if you know what I mean. $1000 is a lot of $$$$ for me :-( And what if I get a 6ft long cable? By the way they are hard to find. WTF is it that DP is so mysterious? So weird! Can someone suggest a brand of cable that will work fine with this monitor? Don't tell me I will need to build a new compact PC to fit on my desk right beside the monitor  :-(

I got the monitor and the supplied cable is long enough and works perfectly.

Relief!

@Glenwing Hi, I just bought this adapter: https://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/eenvoudige-displayport-mannelijk-hdmi-vrouwelijk-adapter-kabel-zwart-0-20-meter (sorry is in Dutch) but this adapter does not allow me to run 1080p at 120Hz, I have the ASUS VG278HE and a Gigabyte GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD which meet the requirements: HDMI 1.4 and DP 1.2. Any tips?

Cheers.

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

2 hours ago, Zandvliet said:

@Glenwing Hi, I just bought this adapter: https://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/eenvoudige-displayport-mannelijk-hdmi-vrouwelijk-adapter-kabel-zwart-0-20-meter (sorry is in Dutch) but this adapter does not allow me to run 1080p at 120Hz, I have the ASUS VG278HE and a Gigabyte GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD which meet the requirements: HDMI 1.4 and DP 1.2. Any tips?

Cheers.

Not all monitors with HDMI 1.4 accept >60 Hz over HDMI, some monitors may have limits imposed.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=120Hz_displays

• 1 month later...

I have a asus rog g752 vs and i recently bought a asus vg248qe a 144hz monitor that i wanted to add as my primary monitor for my gaming rig and leave my laptop as the secondary monitor. My problem is that my laptop only has a hdmi 2.0 output, no vga, no display port, no mini hdmi, etc, and my monitor for running 144hz only accepts dual linked dvi. I was wondering if there is an adapter strong enough to change hdmi 2.0 or thunderbolt 3.90 to a dual link dvi and connect that dvi in the monitor in order to be able to play at 1080p@144hz or even maybe a display port. I am quite desperate cause i dind't think this through and i can't return the monitor, so it's a big debt in my pocket. Thank you for your help.

1 minute ago, gil silva said:

I have a asus rog g752 vs and i recently bought a asus vg248qe a 144hz monitor that i wanted to add as my primary monitor for my gaming rig and leave my laptop as the secondary monitor. My problem is that my laptop only has a hdmi 2.0 output, no vga, no display port, no mini hdmi, etc, and my monitor for running 144hz only accepts dual linked dvi. I was wondering if there is an adapter strong enough to change hdmi 2.0 or thunderbolt 3.90 to a dual link dvi and connect that dvi in the monitor in order to be able to play at 1080p@144hz or even maybe a display port. I am quite desperate cause i dind't think this through and i can't return the monitor, so it's a big debt in my pocket. Thank you for your help.

If your laptop has Thunderbolt 3, then you can use a USB Type-C to DisplayPort adapter, they're usually around $20-$30 right now.

5 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

If your laptop has Thunderbolt 3, then you can use a USB Type-C to DisplayPort adapter, they're usually around $20-$30 right now.

Will it be able to run 144hz 1080p with the adapter ? And if so can you please list me one. Thank you in advance for the fast answer.

I use a hdmi to vga adapter, the native resolution of the monitor is 1366x768 but if I try to change the resolution to 1920x1080 the monitor displays it fine but at the same time it says "input not supported" in a text box. why?

33 minutes ago, zedsdeath said:

I use a hdmi to vga adapter, the native resolution of the monitor is 1366x768 but if I try to change the resolution to 1920x1080 the monitor displays it fine but at the same time it says "input not supported" in a text box. why?

Some 1366×768 TVs have the ability to receive 1080p video and downscale it to fit on the screen, so they can advertise "1080p ready" without actually having a 1080p panel. This can cause some weird behavior sometimes though.

4 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Some 1366×768 TVs have the ability to receive 1080p video and downscale it to fit on the screen, so they can advertise "1080p ready" without actually having a 1080p panel. This can cause some weird behavior sometimes though.

ok so it doesnt have anything to do with the adapter:o , I appreciate the help thanks

• 1 month later...

The world is getting even more complex with USB-C / Thunderbolt accessories.  Might want to build on this a little to explain displayport alt mode etc.

I presume 'weird' resolutions (like 1440*900 for example) are even more easily compatible than 1920*1080?

3 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Compatible in what way?

As in that such resolutions can be carried over, but you already helped me with that yesterday ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. My name is Raco and i have a problem with my PC setup.

I have a PC 2 years old now but i have made some improvements. It's a core I7 4790, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 1080 Founders Edition from Zotac, Crucial 256 GB SSD+ Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD all on a ASUS B85 gaming motherboard and connected to a Samsung UHD 9 series Quantum Dot 49 inch TV. The problem is that ever since we got the TV, the connection to the PC is not stable. From time to time the TV screen goes black for 1-2 seconds and then comes back.

This happens at random and in any situation. Gaming, or watching YouTube or a movie or just on the desktop doing nothing and it will not stop unless I unplug the HDMI cable from the PC and plug it back in. the frequency increases drastically if i change the in-game resolution. Before having the GTX 1080 I had the  GTX 970 and it did the same thing. I have tried different HDMI cables, lengths, thicknesses, pricier, but nothing. I have read online that the TV has some power saving modes and I have disabled them, but no luck so far.

I have attached a video as well.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

All the best,

Raco.

VID-20161219-WA0005.mp4

• 3 months later...

Hello Glenwing :),

Just wanted to ask a quick question again lol.

I'm thinking about redoing my monitor setup for when I get a new GPU soon because currently I'm using 3x1080p Monitors and want to change it to 1x4k & 2x1080p Monitors, one problem though is that I gotta convert DP to HDMI somehow for the 2x1080p Monitors, gonna use DP for my 4k monitor. But I was wondering, I know the original post discusses passive and active adapters but what about DP to HDMI direct cables? Would they also work fine with no lag/image-loss etc for a High-End GPU such as a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080? <- I'm thinking about getting one of those 2 GPUs.

Thanks

~Xiauj

Edited by Xiauj

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3