[Quick Review] Nexus Low 7000 CPU cooler (20$ plus S&H on Amazon)

iamdarkyoshi

I bought one of these:

http://a.co/aQevuhu

low-7000_views.jpg

It is a 7CM thick cooler that fits intel and AMD based systems with a universal mount.

I'm not paid to advertise or anything, I bought this myself.

First, the cost. On amazon, its really really cheap!!

I'd be surprised if they are still making them to be honest, but I hope they are, they are a pretty good cooler.

Here is what it looks like on an ITX motherboard with an alienware PCIE riser:

Spoiler

IMG_20170117_185920.jpg

As you can see, it is quite a tiny cooler, but it works extremely well.

First, the cooling performance.

About 2K RPM resulted in my 4.4ghz 6700K staying between 50 and 80 degrees under full load, I think I have a faulty sensor... But the heatpipes were simply warm, not hot, but warm, so I'd say its probably closer to 50. It keeps the whole motherboard much cooler than an AIO or 212 evo would, as it blows down onto the board.

The heatpipes don't really have full coverage of the CPU IHS, but that didn't seem to matter.

At 2K RPM, its not the quietest thing ever, but I was honestly amazed at how quiet it was. I've got my motherboard set to "silent" and I can't tweak the fan speed any lower, so I'll deal with it...

Except for the motor whine. Its AWFUL. It makes a horrible high pitch squeal at really any fan speed. I ended up pulling a fan off of a spare corsair AIO I got from a PC store, which eliminated the whining noise.

Lets talk about the mount.

Its almost perfect. It has two sets of brackets that screw into the side of the main block, one for intel and one for AMD. None of those stupid intel to AMD to heatsink adapters that other cheap coolers use. I used the intel one obviously, and my only complaint is that the thing mounts without a backplate, and I am not a fan of backplateless CPU coolers, so I got an LGA155x backplate and just drilled the holes out of it, and that prevented any warping on my board.

It came with a weird thermal paste, I would call it putty rather than paste... But it seemed to work fine, I ordered some arctic ceramique at the same time, but it arrived a couple days later. After putting it on instead of the stock paste, I saw no differences in temps.

The fan is a 4 pin PWM fan, but like I said, the motor whine is horrible. It is also a NON STANDARD thickness, and the mounting pegs for it only fit the original fan, but it looks like if you take the fan brackets off, you could screw a new fan on ahead of time. Not something I can do while the motherboard is in the case, so I zip tied the new fan in place.

In conclusion, its a pretty good cooler for a super low price, and a pretty low profile.

Any questions? Post them below!