The best tech purchases you ever made?

treeroy
2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wait, amp what?  It must be Ah or something since amps is a rate and not a quantity.

Well, regardless that's the equivalent price, unless it was running at some other voltage, and that's pretty high by home power cost standards :/ 

Basically the data center asks "how big of a circuit do you need and how many" and you pay for that circuit (prices are listed as per amp). We have 2 30 amp circuits (A+B) but we're only allowed to use 75% or 80% of each (I can't remember which).

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Basically the data center asks "how big of a circuit do you need and how many" and you pay per amp on that circuit. We jave 2 30 amp circuits (A+B) but we're only allowed to use 75% or 80% of each (I can't remember which).

oh, interesting.  So, they don't actually track how much powre you use, it's just assumed you use most or all of your capacity, and you pay for certain capacity?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh, interesting.  So, they don't actually track how much powre you use, it's just assumed you use most or all of your capacity, and you pay for certain capacity?

Correct, they don't track our usage as long as we don't exceed the safety limits of the circuits. We can power off all of our servers for the next two months and our monthly bill will stay the same.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Correct, they don't track our usage as long as we don't exceed the safety limits of the circuits. We can power off all of our servers for the next two months and our monthly bill will stay the same.

interesting.  ok, that explains the "per amp" billing then :P 

Still, that is expensive compared to a house (assuming it's 120 V supply) :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

interesting.  ok, that explains the "per amp" billing then :P 

Still, that is expensive compared to a house (assuming it's 120 V supply) :D 

Yup, power is extremely expensive in data centers. I think it's because of the cost of the PDUs, UPSes, and generators. We have a 120v circuits but you can get 208v for $35 per amp. Also keep in mind that all data centers are different but in my experience it's always more expensive than residential power.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Yup, power is extremely expensive in data centers. I think it's because of the cost of the PDUs, UPSes, and generators. We have a 120v circuits but you can get 208v for $35 per amp. Also keep in mind that all data centers are different but in my experience it's always more expensive than residential power.

I suppose that makes sense if they're providing all of those services included in the price.  Doing that yourself would probably end up costing just as much or more in the long run for the good stuff

My new headphones (got them a couple days ago, Beyerdynamic DT-990), mechanical keyboard and Wacom Intuos Small were all great investments

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

10 hours ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Probably don't kill me pls my Macbook Pro Late 2013, by a miracle I got it for $300 and now I don't have to carry my desktop to my friends' houses when I want to play games (because yes, a GT750M can game)

How in the world did you get such a discount?!

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

9 hours ago, NannerBeans said:

Perk of working in the tech field, I make large purchases of tech almost every day. My biggest single purchase was probably 7 EVGA B-stock Titan X's on black friday.

LOL! 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

My Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 - survived international shipping, components coming loose, a PSU knocking around in it, and the box it came in turned out to be super resilient as shipping material (with some Black Packing Wrap) on its own. 

Media Producer & PC Enthusiast

Click here for my The Red Shift Build Log thread, or click here for my Lancelot HTPC Build Log.

about 1 month ago, i was able to buy a core i3 4130 on some Asrock mb (not sure at the moment which one) and a single stick of 4gb/1333mhz ddr3 kingston ram for 110$ (calculated from HUF) probably the best deal made here

The best:

Power bank to charge my phone and mp3 player :)

External USB 3.0 card reader in the size of 2 older USB sticks.

The ones im extremely satisfied with: SSD and 144Hz monitor

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

• 1 year later...

I'm satisfied with my GTX 780. It might not necessarily count as a purchase per se, but it was an amazing deal.

Other than that, probably my jump to Ryzen.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!