Best "tech" country to live at 2020/2021?

snowPT

Hi!

I'm Portuguese guy (from Portugal, ofc, lol) that always had a wish to live in a country where English is the main language. Well, at the moment i'm in the middle of a pre-university course, "Networking and Informatic Systems", i'm myself a hardware guy but wanted to see my "skills in paper" and that's why i joined that course. I have finished obligatory school (12 years here) so after this course i will be joining university for 3 years, in the "Electrotechnology & Computers Engineering" course and do a special path to Hardware specialization.

Well, after that i want to leave Portugal. Portugal it's a good country, no doubt, i like it, but i really want to make this dream come true (first line of this topic). So, at total, only in 3-4 years i will be done with studys (i hope), so by that year, which country would be the best to live in? I really wanted a balance between salaray-tech-life conditions. I hope i got myself explained right :)

Thanks,

snow

Obligatory "let me take a look in my glass ball"-post here.

Truth is, we don't know. I could say China because of its, still, growing economy of cheap electronics. Or I could say any Western country with a good infrastructure and big economy (Most West European countries or USA), but all this stuff could change in 3 years. Or even 1 year.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, snowPT said:

Hi!

I'm Portuguese guy (from Portugal, ofc, lol) that always had a wish to live in a country where English is the main language. Well, at the moment i'm in the middle of a pre-university course, "Networking and Informatic Systems", i'm myself a hardware guy but wanted to see my "skills in paper" and that's why i joined that course. I have finished obligatory school (12 years here) so after this course i will be joining university for 3 years, in the "Electrotechnology & Computers Engineering" course and do a special path to Hardware specialization.

Well, after that i want to leave Portugal. Portugal it's a good country, no doubt, i like it, but i really want to make this dream come true (first line of this topic). So, at total, only in 3-4 years i will be done with studys (i hope), so by that year, which country would be the best to live in? I really wanted a balance between salaray-tech-life conditions. I hope i got myself explained right :)

Thanks,

snow

Well, with recent events, it's unclear what the future will look like, I would suggest you ask this in about 2 years, see where the world is headed. If we're not in nuclear fallout yet!

Salary wise I'd say the Scandinavian countries, but their main language isn't english, obviously...

Tech wise, I'd say Japan and North America.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Obligatory "let me take a look in my glass ball"-post here.

Truth is, we don't know. I could say China because of its, still, growing economy of cheap electronics. Or I could say any Western country with a good infrastructure and big economy (Most West European countries or USA), but all this stuff could change in 3 years. Or even 1 year.

Thing about China, like you said, everything is cheaply made. So if he really likes Hardware, he won't like to be using stuff that breaks easily while handling it, or his customers coming back every 2 weeks asking for refunds.

10 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Certainly not the US. Not with our current regime for the next 4 years. 

What evidence do you have to support such a claim?

Computers r fun

Just now, Miguel552 said:

Let's not turn this into a Donkey - Elephant war.

So if you are not willing to support your claim either don't make it, or state it as an opinon. You did start this.

Computers r fun

1 minute ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

So if you are not willing to support your claim either don't make it, or state it as an opinon. You did start this.

I started what? 

16 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

Well, with recent events, it's unclear what the future will look like, I would suggest you ask this in about 2 years, see where the world is headed. If we're not in nuclear fallout yet!

This was my first comment.

8 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

We'll know in a year or two what's going to happen.

Then I replied with this to the comment made by @corrado33, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Going back to topic.

4 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I would say US, Kansas City because of Google Fiber.

I read somewhere a couple of months ago, that they were doing some tests and getting good results on transferring Gigabit Speeds over RJ45 and that it would be so much easier to implement since most houses already have it and there's no initial cost for having to create the Fiber infrastructure.

14 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

I started what? 

This was my first comment.

Then I replied with this to the comment made by @corrado33, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Going back to topic.

I read somewhere a couple of months ago, that they were doing some tests and getting good results on transferring Gigabit Speeds over RJ45 and that it would be so much easier to implement since most houses already have it and there's no initial cost for having to create the Fiber infrastructure.

Kansas City has the fiber infastrcuture

You start arguments by stating pollitical opinions as facts without backing them up.

Computers r fun

23 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Kansas City has the fiber infastrcuture

You start arguments by stating pollitical opinions as facts without backing them up.

Again, I didn't start any argument stating any political opinion... I think you have me confused with this guy...

54 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Certainly not the US. Not with our current regime for the next 4 years. 

That is not me....

21 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Japan!

If you don't mind that they're also stubborn about certain forms of technology.

He wants the main language to be English though.

58 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

This. Sorry.

Computers r fun

1 minute ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

This. Sorry.

I'm not stating anything there, I'm literally saying to see in 2 years and see where the world is, with all that's happening in the world, not because of the US elections.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well your choices there are very limited.

Haha yeah, he wants big money, English speaking and High Tech.

1 minute ago, Miguel552 said:

That sounds like a "here's three options, pick two."

Well actually, in the US it can be manageable depending on where you live. Like if you find a tech company in a lesser populated state or city, your income to living expense ratio goes up.

But if he wants a country where they embrace technology everywhere, you're really not going to beat South Korea or Japan.

3 hours ago, Miguel552 said:

Well, i just want the money enough for my addictions, in this case, hardware :P

I said that i wanted the country to use English as main language because, well:

1) it's a language that i manage to speak fluently

2) like it even more than my main language (portuguese)

3) and well, i think it's the "go everywhere and people know what you are saying"

Japan and other cities would be awesome, but i had to spend time learning the languange and well, it would be time wasted i think. I want to arrive to the country and "set-up" my life up without any language barriers :)

4 hours ago, Miguel552 said:

Well, this seems my answer for now. I just wanted to get my head on some ideas :)

Thanks @M.Yurizaki @Miguel552 @TheNuzziNuzz @corrado33 @JoaoPRSousa @Minibois for all the feedback till now!

19 minutes ago, snowPT said:

I want to arrive to the country and "set-up" my life up without any language barriers :)

I don't know specifically what you're looking for hardware-wise, but the only thing you need is to go to a country with low taxes in shipping. I mean, you can go anywhere and order hardware online, just have to have a good shipping policy in that country. You could go to the mountains or the middle of the dessert, as long as S&H are low. Also, that the country has a strong currency. If you're looking for developing hardware or stuff like that, you really need to go to Korea or Japan, that's where all the research and inventions come from.

30 minutes ago, snowPT said:

Well, i just want the money enough for my addictions, in this case, hardware :P

I said that i wanted the country to use English as main language because, well:

1) it's a language that i manage to speak fluently

2) like it even more than my main language (portuguese)

3) and well, i think it's the "go everywhere and people know what you are saying"

Japan and other cities would be awesome, but i had to spend time learning the languange and well, it would be time wasted i think. I want to arrive to the country and "set-up" my life up without any language barriers :)

Well, this seems my answer for now. I just wanted to get my head on some ideas :)

Thanks @M.Yurizaki @Miguel552 @TheNuzziNuzz @corrado33 @JoaoPRSousa @Minibois for all the feedback till now!

To add to the US stuff Atlanta, GA is a huge tech city right now with many companies hiring

go to china. all young people there speak english now. food is cheap. hardware is cheap. The only down side is the air pollution

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_