Good headphone choices + more

minibois

I have been reading tons of tutorials, info videos, reviews, etc. on different types of headphones, DACs and AMPs. But I just need some personalized answers, because not everyone online seems to agree with each other.

(also before you link, yes I read all the stickies from this sub forum)

Now, I'm planning on getting some good headphones, but I need to know if I would need and AMP/DAC with any of them and if I would be better off with something else.

I was thinking of getting something by Beyerdynamic. Either the DT 770 or DT 990. There are 32, 80 and 250 Ohm versions of the DT770 and a 250 Ohm version of the DT 990. These are all roughly the same price, I just need to know if I would need an AMP with any of these? Please don't answer with something like "Just get an amp if it's not loud enough", I want to know what I get before I buy it :P

From my understanding (and from reading reviews), the 250 Ohm versions require more power (more power than a regular motherboard connections, which I would likely otherwise use), but do they also have a big advantage when used with one?
I'm not opposed to getting an amp, but if it's not necessary/if the 250 Ohm versions are not any better I wouldn't want to.

Quick run down:

Use: mostly YouTube videos, music and a tiny bit of (non-serious) gaming. Mostly music.

Connections: 3.5mm of a 'normal motherboard' or possibly AMP/DAC

Open to getting a DAC/AMP: yes (I was personally looking a lot at the Scarlet or Schiit audio stuff. They look nice and seem to have what I would need)

Any info on if I need an AMP or DAC is appreciated. I'm pretty set on the headphones though, they look very comfy. I don't mind an open backed pair.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I don't have an answer to this but i'm very curious about this as well and i'm very interested to see what answers you get

Are you looking at the Focusrite Scarlet stuff because you'll be using an XLR mic? Because if not, then you'd be better off getting a Schiit Fulla if you need an amp/dac.

From my understanding (could be wrong), the 80Ohm versions are the most sensitive so you wouldn't necessarily need any extra amplification. Though, I see what your motherboard is and I'm not foo familiar with it. I don't think it would have a problem powering the 80Ohm versions, though.

The 250Ohm versions are just more "refined" than the others, supposedly. I don't have personal experience with any of those headphones, I'm just going off of what I've gathered reading about them since I was interested in them at one time. If you decide you want the "more refined" 250Ohm ones, you wouldn't be wasting money in my opinion on getting something like a Schiit Fulla to pair with it.

Having open back cans are more immersive but they won't be as "punchy" in low-end/bass as closed backs, generally. That's not to say that they don't have any bass, though, as they may have plenty depending on your taste. 

You could take a look at this thread to get an idea on what all of those headphones are like. Just so you know, everything is mostly subjective so only take it for what it is: an opinion. http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Beyerdynamic DT series cans all have the same power sensitivity so they all require the SAME amount of power to reach a certain volume. However, the 80 ohm version of the DT 770 is supposed to have the most bass, if that's what you're going for.

Schiit fulla 2 would be the best option for a DAC/amp/preamp. Get one if you want one.

1 hour ago, Minibois said:

Use: mostly YouTube videos, music and a tiny bit of (non-serious) gaming. Mostly music.

Is it mostly YouTube, or mostly music?

If it's mostly music from YouTube, you really don't need much - YouTube audio quality is trash.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

49 minutes ago, SSL said:

Beyerdynamic DT series cans all have the same power sensitivity so they all require the SAME amount of power to reach a certain volume. However, the 80 ohm version of the DT 770 is supposed to have the most bass, if that's what you're going for.

Schiit fulla 2 would be the best option for a DAC/amp/preamp. Get one if you want one.

so then is the difference that the lower impedance can be driven louder, with more power, but equal volume settings?

like speakers?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

24 minutes ago, spwath said:

so then is the difference that the lower impedance can be driven louder, with more power, but equal volume settings?

like speakers?

Constant power sensitivity means that they require the same power to reach the same output level (volume). The higher impedance load in such a scenario would require more voltage to reach an equivalent output level, however. This can be achieved by adjusting gain, if available.

24 minutes ago, SSL said:

Constant power sensitivity means that they require the same power to reach the same output level (volume). The higher impedance load in such a scenario would require more voltage to reach an equivalent output level, however. This can be achieved by adjusting gain, if available.

ok, I think that's what I meant,I just didn't word it right.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

28 minutes ago, spwath said:

ok, I think that's what I meant,I just didn't word it right.

Sure. btw, and this is for other people reading as well, gain and volume are not the same thing. Gain is the amount of boost the amplifier provides to the signal. Volume is how much of the total signal that you want to use. i.e. turning up the volume does not actually "boost" anything.

As an analogy, consider a pump vs a spigot. Turning on a spigot doesn't "boost" flow, it just admits the available flow. Whereas turning on a pump actually creates or increases flow.

14 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Is it mostly YouTube, or mostly music?

If it's mostly music from YouTube, you really don't need much - YouTube audio quality is trash.

Mostly music, but not FLAC quality music. More like MP3 quality music.

I know mp3's are not the best thing to listen to with such good headphones, but I just want quality sound from the headphones.

14 hours ago, SSL said:

I'm not looking for bass headphones, but a little bit won't hurt. The 80 Ohm version sounds plenty for me (from what I understand you are saying)

As for the AMP/DAC "get one if you want one" is that to say "get one if you try the headphones and find they are lacking sound" or not? Because despite what I said, I'm probably gonna do that.

Any tips on how to recognize if I need an AMP/DAC (once I have the heafphones)?

15 hours ago, Kloaked said:

I was just looking at the Scarlet stuff because it's one of the bigger brands + I can get those without paying 30+ USD for shipping. Not because I know a lot about them or need XLR input/output.

As for motherboards, what should I look for as for audio stuff in a new motherboard?

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

34 minutes ago, Minibois said:

As for the AMP/DAC "get one if you want one" is that to say "get one if you try the headphones and find they are lacking sound" or not? Because despite what I said, I'm probably gonna do that.

Any tips on how to recognize if I need an AMP/DAC (once I have the heafphones)?

The Fulla 2 has so many features for $100 that it may be worth getting even if you don't feel like you need better sound, and it may improve the sound a tiny bit if your onboard is lacking. Unfortunately, there isn't usually a good way to tell if that is the case except by direct comparison with better gear.

I was just looking at the Scarlet stuff because it's one of the bigger brands + I can get those without paying 30+ USD for shipping. Not because I know a lot about them or need XLR input/output.

As for motherboards, what should I look for as for audio stuff in a new motherboard?

Focusrite's stuff is more for recording and such, not necessarily powering headphones but it's very capable (I have a Scarlet Solo myself but I have it RCA'd out to a Schiit Vali 2 :D). Your money would be better spent on a Schiit Fulla 2 like SSL is suggesting.

You don't need to upgrade your motherboard if you get an external amp/dac like the Fulla 2. If you're planning on upgrading your system, don't worry about what kind of audio chipset the motherboard has as you'd be using the Schiit Fulla 2 as your sound card, for example.

4 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Focusrite's stuff is more for recording and such, not necessarily powering headphones but it's very capable (I have a Scarlet Solo myself but I have it RCA'd out to a Schiit Vali 2 :D). Your money would be better spent on a Schiit Fulla 2 like SSL is suggesting.

You don't need to upgrade your motherboard if you get an external amp/dac like the Fulla 2. If you're planning on upgrading your system, don't worry about what kind of audio chipset the motherboard has as you'd be using the Schiit Fulla 2 as your sound card, for example.

4 hours ago, SSL said:

The Fulla 2 has so many features for $100 that it may be worth getting even if you don't feel like you need better sound, and it may improve the sound a tiny bit if your onboard is lacking. Unfortunately, there isn't usually a good way to tell if that is the case except by direct comparison with better gear.

One last question (since I am planning on getting the headphones + Fulla 2 later). I saw there are open and closed back headphones.

Now I know the basics (closed back has less sound leaking, less of a soundstage though, while open back have the opposite).

Open back options:

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm dynamic studio headphones

Closed back:

The 32, 80 and 250 Ohm version of the DT-770.

If I wanted an open back option (which I am leaning more towards, since a bit of leaking sound is not the end of the world + I do game a bit + I like music that sounds like it's not just coming from two speakers on my ears), I can only get the 250 Ohm version. Otherwise I would have more options, but it would be closed back.

Price is not a determining factor, they are all priced exactly the same.

What would you do/recommend?

18 minutes ago, Minibois said:

What would you do/recommend?

Well if you're sure you want that sound signature that comes with the Beyers (you said you did research on them) I would go with the open backs (990s) if you don't have a problem with sound leaking a bit. You'll have a more immersive experience as closed back headphones generally have a more narrow sound stage compared to open backs.

le snip

Always go open back unless you need isolation or know you like the particular sound signature of a particular closed headphone.

The DT990 treble is peaky and steely, so be prepared for that.