Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NinjaSandvich

Help with the Zalman Z9 Neo screws

Posted · Original PosterOP

I recently bought the Zalman Z9 Neo for my first ever PC build, but there is one problem.

The manual doesn't tell you which screws to use where and when.

I have figured out the screws you get 18 of go into the motherboard stand offs, but I have no clue what screws to use for anything else - HDDs, SSDs, PSU etc.

If anyone has previously built in this case before, any info on which screws to use and where?

This has nothing to do specifically with your case. Case screws (especially the ones that attach hard drives and other hardware) are totally standard.

Basically, gently try threading the screw in the hole, once you have a match, sweet. Do not force anything as you don't want to strip the screws (or maybe you do, I don't judge)

When in doubt, re-format.

17 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

This has nothing to do specifically with your case. Case screws (especially the ones that attach hard drives and other hardware) are totally standard.

Basically, gently try threading the screw in the hole, once you have a match, sweet. Do not force anything as you don't want to strip the screws (or maybe you do, I don't judge)

Ok, so it shouldn't damage anything as long as I don't screw anything in too far - if it's the wrong thread that is.

The main thing I find weird is the pointy screws - I don't see what they would be used for in a PC, any ideas?

I don't know the name of the screws but they're pointy and 6 of them (if that helps) and all the others have a flat tip.

As long as you don't force it, you cant really damage anything.

Pointy with coarse thread? As in it looks like something you would put into wood or plastic instead of into a threaded hole? Those are likely for fans (though including 6 instead of 4 or 8 is weird) or to actually hold your case together.

Also, you will ALWAYS have tons of leftover screws from your case when you are done. Do not worry about that. Pretty much as long as everything is held down somewhat securely in some way, your computer will be ok.

When in doubt, re-format.

3 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

As long as you don't force it, you cant really damage anything.

Pointy with coarse thread? As in it looks like something you would put into wood or plastic instead of into a threaded hole? Those are likely for fans (though including 6 instead of 4 or 8 is weird) or to actually hold your case together.

Also, you will ALWAYS have tons of leftover screws from your case when you are done. Do not worry about that. Pretty much as long as everything is held down somewhat securely in some way, your computer will be ok.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Yes, the pointy screws were coarse, and I assume they only included 6 as the Z9 Neo comes with all 5 fans pre-installed, so they're just spares - not for actually mounting new fans.