Vivaldi CEO calls on Microsoft to "do the right thing" and stop aggressive Edge pushing

Nowak

Sauce: https://www.neowin.net/news/vivaldi-ceo-calls-on-microsoft-to-do-the-right-thing-with-its-edge-browser-on-windows-10

Sauce 2: https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/220-it-s-time-to-do-the-right-thing-microsoft

The CEO and co-founder of Vivaldi, Jon von Tetzchner, called out Microsoft in a blog post today, saying that it's too hard for users to change their default browser on Windows 10. The article also complains about the fact that upon upgrading to Windows 10, the default browser is automatically changed to Microsoft Edge.

Von Tetzchner says that he has a 72-year-old friend that was upgraded from "Windows 8 [sic] to Windows 10" without her consent. Her default browser was changed to Edge, "even though she had no interest in using it." Being a non-technical user, she was unable to change it back.

So, I guess enough is truly enough, and other browser developers are starting to call out Microsoft on their aggressive push for Edge in Windows 10, which goes as far as making it difficult for non-technical users to switch the default browser and advertising how much "better" it is through pop-up ads on your taskbar, should it still be pinned. Following this statement, Jon laid out a business plan of sorts for technology companies going forward:

Our goal as technology companies should be to provide great software to our users. At the same time, we should accept that some users prefer software created by other companies. It is our responsibility to be fair to the users, and this is what should drive the technology industry forward. Stripping users of their ability to choose or forcefully limiting their options stalls progress. Focusing on building great products is what should drive us to excel.

This isn't the first time Microsoft has been criticized over their user Edge-ing, and so long as they continue to push Edge like this or lie about feature exclusivity, they will continue to receive criticism over how they're handling it. Finally, Jon concludes his post with the following statement:

So here is my question to you, Microsoft. Where has the user’s absolute prerogative to make a choice gone? 

It is time to do the right thing. Stop stealing the default browser, accept user choice and compete on the merits.

I've personally used Edge for a bit, but it was nowhere near my liking. There are a lot of missing customization features that I'd consider important, like control over tab thumbnails or a download manager that actually makes sense, so I don't use it unless I absolutely have to. But what do you think? Do you agree with Jon von Tetzchner that Microsoft is being too aggressive with its push for Microsoft Edge? And, if so, does von Tetzchner's plan seem like a good strategy for businesses moving forward? Do you think that, if enough rival companies call them out on this, Microsoft will finally stop this behavior? We saw them retract the online requirements for the Xbox One, and re-add the Start menu (albeit in a different form), so anything is possible.

Yeah, as a developer I find this obvious ploy really annoying. Even in Chrome when it asks if you want to change the default browser it forces you to do it manually after bringing up the proper page. In literally everything else programs can automate an entire process. 

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

fuck not just that, it forces notifications to say drive is full and windows can't download the forced updates.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Tell Google to stop telling me to "Experience a faster way to browse" whenever I go to their website on a non-Chromium based browser.

Or maybe they've finally stopped doing that.

The difference is that Google doesn't aggressively push Chrome on you, saying "IT'LL PROTECT YOUR DATA BETTER!" or "USE CHROME FOR 36% BETTER BATTERY LIFE!" as long as it's pinned to your taskbar but isn't the default browser.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

The difference is that Google doesn't aggressively push Chrome on you, saying "IT'LL PROTECT YOUR DATA BETTER!" or "USE CHROME FOR 36% BETTER BATTERY LIFE!" as long as it's pinned to your taskbar but isn't the default browser.

I don't see those. Then again I mucked with my Settings enough to not receive those.

Though I would argue that often times when I install software that comes bundled with something, it's usually Chrome that's bundled.

5 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Little too late?

It's never too late.

12 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I've never been able to change the default browser to Chrome on Windows 10, at least on my desktop.

I commend the CEO of Vivaldi for at least trying to get something through Microsoft's head.

I know how. Sometimes even if u keep clicking it, it won't change, I have to manually change the protocols.

The geek himself.

I fucking hate edge, it has so many issues. Opera ftw.

The geek himself.

Yeah but if Microsoft gives in then their competition will get the edge...:ph34r:

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

21 minutes ago, Daring said:

Where does it ever say that...

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Heh funny, was just watching new short vids about Vivaldi features xD

I never got any adds or such though, I mean I disabled everything that there is so. I get they want more people on Edge I've used it for a while, works great, though missing features and certain customization puts me off to check it other time. I was shocked when W10 launched how Edge was unfinished really, took them to this day to develop it further, and there is more to be done. Though to add it did ran fine in early days too, at least for me, didn't had major issues.

Hmm though never had issue with default app change really, once I installed Opera set it default all well. I also have Vivaldi alongside :3 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

24 minutes ago, Daring said:

no google just plaster every single part of their services with links to other service and tbf they did have a valid test and it did do better than chrome.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

no google just plaster every single part of their services with links to other service and tbf they did have a valid test and it did do better than chrome.

Alright, I'll give you that, they do plaster it everywhere.

So how is that different than Google constantly telling me to "Watch YouTube videos with Chome"? every time I go on YouTube.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

So how is that different than Google constantly telling me to "Watch YouTube videos with Chome"? every time I go on YouTube.

Touché. I think the reason why people are focusing on Edge rather than Chrome, though, is because Edge is bundled with the most-used operating system. Microsoft has a lot of power due to their position.

Alright, I'll give you that, they do plaster it everywhere.

it is how they get people to use their services. More annoying than anything.

on a side note is anyone just getting tired of companies and the way they want all of your data. Like take the latest ttl video about google wifi. It's shameless data farming and nothing more.

2 minutes ago, Daring said:

Touché. I think the reason why people are focusing on Edge rather than Chrome, though, is because Edge is bundled with the most-used operating system. Microsoft has a lot of power due to their position.

could argue that google has the power with the most used search engine.

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

could argue that google has the power with the most used search engine.

That is also true, Google has the largest search engine.

How hard is it to change the default browser on Win 10?

The only annoying thing is it sometimes goes back to Edge with major Windows updates. They should probably stop doing that.