Hosed Windows 10 Install

Jared_1

So my Lenovo s21e came with Windows 8.1 with Bing 64 bit. Well, I went to upgrade to Windows 10 and I created an ISO to do a clean install. Well, I booted into the UEFI boot settings and it didn't find the USB drive. So I changed the BIOS to legacy USB boot and installed. Well, somehow with some updates to my Windows 10 install, it completely hosed the install. It crashes when waking from sleep mode, or it turns on from sleep and then promptly crashes. a) This is annoying and b) I have to do a cold start (no fast boot because of the crash) and chances are I need to use the computer in a hurry for a class and I don't have time to be waiting for the thing to start. So, how would I create a new Windows 10 (Hopefully the Anniversary Update) install ISO to be UEFI bootable. That's another thing. Windows Updates download the updates but will fail at installing them. That even happened when using Windows 8. Also, does anyone know the keyboard combo to access my BIOS? I got it once but I can't remember and Google is not shedding any light on this.

IIRC, the button to enter bios on Lenovos is ENTER. Go figure.

As far as the boot issues, it sounds like you did the things alright, but sometimes you just have to try a different setting.

One thing I have noticed lately is that some computers do not like installing/booting windows installer from a USB 3 port so maybe try a USB2 port.

When in doubt, re-format.

3 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

IIRC, the button to enter bios on Lenovos is ENTER. Go figure.

As far as the boot issues, it sounds like you did the things alright, but sometimes you just have to try a different setting.

One thing I have noticed lately is that some computers do not like installing/booting windows installer from a USB 3 port so maybe try a USB2 port.

I use Rufus. Which setting should I use for Partition scheme? I'll have to try Enter.

I'm not a big fan of UEFI. Hopefully I'll be able to reinstall tomorrow.

rufus.png

I forgot to mention I don't have enough space on my C drive to run the media creation tool. I do have a 64GB micro sd card I'm using to supplement storage needs. How can I get the creation tool to run even though I don't have 8GB free on my C drive. Clearing programs to get space would require my to uninstall 99% of my programs.

55 minutes ago, Jared_1 said:

I forgot to mention I don't have enough space on my C drive to run the media creation tool. I do have a 64GB micro sd card I'm using to supplement storage needs. How can I get the creation tool to run even though I don't have 8GB free on my C drive. Clearing programs to get space would require my to uninstall 99% of my programs.

Use the media creation tool instead of rufus. I swear by rufus for making bootable usb's for linux and other things, but I let MS Media Creation tool handle my win10 USB's.

If you don't have the space to run it, I would have to say, get access to another computer in order to do it (work, or friend/family)

When in doubt, re-format.

1 hour ago, pwn_intended said:

Use the media creation tool instead of rufus. I swear by rufus for making bootable usb's for linux and other things, but I let MS Media Creation tool handle my win10 USB's.

If you don't have the space to run it, I would have to say, get access to another computer in order to do it (work, or friend/family)

Will do. Also, the Enter key didn't get me into the BIOS. I might have to email Lenovo. :\

Lenovo's have a little button "Secure key" or something. Hit that to power on your laptop and it will give you a boot menu. You can choose to enter the BIOS from there.

You can also use this button to restore your windows 8 partition if you need to, if you didn't wipe the recovery partition when trying to install 10.

4 hours ago, nickspacemonkey said:

Lenovo's have a little button "Secure key" or something. Hit that to power on your laptop and it will give you a boot menu. You can choose to enter the BIOS from there.

You can also use this button to restore your windows 8 partition if you need to, if you didn't wipe the recovery partition when trying to install 10.

Don't have that button.

I wiped the whole drive because I had no disk space and Windows 8.1 was borked.