Discord is now asking for your money in the form of "Discord Nitro".

AlTech
On 1/24/2017 at 5:37 AM, tlink said:

i honestly disagree with that. yes its their invention, but its also part of a lot of people their lives. they have full rights to complain if they wish so. just because its free and they don't own it doesn't mean that they are not dependent on it. and im not saying that the developer should listen to them, but if that creates a backslash than its the developers own fault for not listening or introducing it wrong.

If someone becomes dependent on something then they should always have fall back options, especially if its a free service that they're taking benefit from. If a developer transfers to a paid service then he/she's not in the wrong by doing so, even if people disagree. Everyone's gotta make money somehow, and they're doing it right by not making already existing features paid. 

9 minutes ago, Wolther said:

If someone becomes dependent on something then they should always have fall back options, especially if its a free service that they're taking benefit from. If a developer transfers to a paid service then he/she's not in the wrong by doing so, even if people disagree. Everyone's gotta make money somehow, and they're doing it right by not making already existing features paid. 

again, not arguing something i disagree with.

1 hour ago, Wolther said:

He doesn't seem to understand that developers have the right to change the terms of use of their software at any given moment and as the end user you have to abide by it or find an alternative... I've seen this shit happen too much daily at my job where clients call us wondering why they have to pay more for renewals of software as if we have any control of what the vendor feel like charging for their product.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

On 1/23/2017 at 7:28 PM, TetraSky said:

They want $50 USD a year for a messaging app?

I get that they need money, but considering how much competition there is, that is entirely free, that's just too much. Cut that in half and now we're talking.

Because honestly, I'm looking at the features it has, "compared to skype"... Then I compare that to Trillian and suddenly it's not worth it when Trillian has a lifetime subscription for $60 and nearly the same features (except in-browser and channels?)

you dont have to pay and you wont miss out on much. its more of a donation really and you get a few perks for donating

Rather than a subscription I think there should be a pay what you want option with those emotes and upload limit things as a "reward" if you pay $5/mo.

If I used Discord more often I'd be willing to throw a buck or two at them but $5 (or $50 a year) is more than what I am willing to give them for the service they provide and the bonuses the subscription offers.