Discord is now asking for your money in the form of "Discord Nitro".

AlTech
2 hours ago, deviant88 said:

free is the only right price

i could say the same about what ever your service your profession provides then your company wouldnt be generating any money and wouldnt be able to pay you then you wouldnt have any money and wont be able to afford to feed your self or your rent, software development is a proffession just like anything else and they deserve to be able to feed them selves this is a optional bonus just like the memberships here on the forum that dont take away from the core product that is free 

I lurk a lot

these perks are pretty fair tbh,

I wasn't really expecting discord to have a paid sub but they did it really smart, these perks are the type of perks I normally see when you can pay, for example theres games where you can't get a gun or unlock a character, you have to pay for it, and this, this is just perfect.

The video for this explains it , if TS or mumble want to grow again they really need to add features 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

8 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

If it is free - you are the product

If it is free and then later adds a paid upgrade - you are the product until you pay, then you become an idiot

I am 99.5% sure Discord harvests raw transmission data on its users and they won't stop doing it if you throw bucks at them.

I'm like 90% sure that's not how Discord works. They received capital from investors and I posted a screenshot earlier of the companies that have given them money. They raised over 30 million USD from those companies that they made deals with - I don't know if they have to pay it back eventually, only some of it, or whatever. Depends on the contract. So no, users are not the product or the idiots in the way that you're putting it.

If you're worried about your information being "harvested", don't ever get a bank account, credit card, Amazon account, Google services, smartphone, nothing. Because then you become the product and an idiot as you put it.

9 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

If you're worried about your information being "harvested", don't ever get a bank account, credit card, Amazon account, Google services, smartphone, nothing. Because then you become the product and an idiot as you put it.

There's a difference in the value of random browsing data or purchasing habits and plain audio private conversations with your personal confidants and if you do not see the distinction you are too far gone. Also, I do not have a google account, I use a Russian e-mail provider, (mail.ru) Russian search engine with a Russian lookup database (DuckDuckGO / Yandex) and a Chinese web browser (Maxthon)

And I have never shopped on Amazon.

As for bank accounts, those are strictly government regulated institutions, and giving whatever data to them is a basic societal need with implied trust unlike that of a third party unregulated private company from the most anti-consumer country on the planet given access to even more invasive data.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

2 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

There's a difference in the value of random browsing data or purchasing habits and plain audio private conversations with your personal confidants

Sure, but how do you know they're storing that data? They for sure are storing text chat logs since one of the features is being able to see what has been posted in text even if you have logged out. Voice chats, though?

3 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

if you do not see the distinction you are too far gone

I see the distinction, I'm not dumb. What I'm getting at is maybe, just maybe, they don't care what you're saying in voice chat. Just like the NSA isn't snooping on every single one of your private emails and phone calls.

You can live how you want and not use whatever product, I'm not going to hold it against you. You, however, shouldn't hold it against anyone else for knowingly giving up some privacy for certain features. This idea isn't something new.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Sure, but how do you know they're storing that data? They for sure are storing text chat logs since one of the features is being able to see what has been posted in text even if you have logged out. Voice chats, though?

I see the distinction, I'm not dumb. What I'm getting at is maybe, just maybe, they don't care what you're saying in voice chat. Just like the NSA isn't snooping on every single one of your private emails and phone calls.

You can live how you want and not use whatever product, I'm not going to hold it against you. You, however, shouldn't hold it against anyone else for knowingly giving up some privacy for certain features. This idea isn't something new.

There is no reason for Discord to be free in the first place, hence the alarm bells toward what interest investors in Silicon Valley have to spring up the cash to fund it. Hint: It's not charity. There is money being made on something. Or a future incentive promised by whatever value they generate by simply keeping it running. There are far more reasons to be suspicious than not.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

3 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

There is no reason for Discord to be free in the first place, hence the alarm bells toward what interest investors in Silicon Valley have to spring up the cash to fund it. Hint: It's not charity. There is money being made on something. Or a future incentive promised by whatever value they generate by simply keeping it running. There are far more reasons to be suspicious than not.

Like I said, they received investment from other companies. Now, Discord is starting to ween off from using investment money and are testing the waters on having a paid service.

13 hours ago, Coombzy said:

And it requires you to use a card, I wouldn't mind if they allowed Paypal as an option because I use Discord on the daily and would like to contribute to the development. I don't care about the perks at this current time because they seem a little... eh.

if you have a paypal you probably should have a Debit/Credit card.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

They're doing it the right way though, not charging for already free options and essentials but rather customs mainly. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

21 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

They have a merch store........

Nobody seems to point this out in their arguments.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

15 hours ago, TetraSky said:

They want $50 USD a year for a messaging app?

I get that they need money, but considering how much competition there is, that is entirely free, that's just too much. Cut that in half and now we're talking.

Because honestly, I'm looking at the features it has, "compared to skype"... Then I compare that to Trillian and suddenly it's not worth it when Trillian has a lifetime subscription for $60 and nearly the same features (except in-browser and channels?)

I agree it doesn't seem worth paying for Discord.  The stuff you get just isn't worth it IMO.  The benefit is mostly if you want to support the developer.  

Do you use Trillian?  If so would you happen to know what they are offering with their subscription?  

I was curious so I tried looking it up on their site but it doesn't clearly state what features are exclusive to those with a membership.  

9 hours ago, Mooshi said:

My dumb friends rarely talk on Discord, it's mostly Telegram. On that note, still bettertl than Skype. 

Dumb friends?  ummm..  Such a nice thing to call them.  lol

I'm curious, why do your friends? (And you too I assume?) use this Telegram app instead of Discord?    

I ask because my impression is that Discord is rather popular especially among gamers.  

6 hours ago, ModuleLFS said:

it's like an mmo,  buy our eyecandy

More like "buy eye candy, extra character slots, weapons, armor, renaming tokens, etc."  Depending on the MMO the variety of extra stuff you can buy to "enhance" your playing experience is truly ridiculous.  ?

As if being forced to pay an overpriced monthly fee in addition to buying the game wasn't enough? /s   

3 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

There's a difference in the value of random browsing data or purchasing habits and plain audio private conversations with your personal confidants and if you do not see the distinction you are too far gone. Also, I do not have a google account, I use a Russian e-mail provider, (mail.ru) Russian search engine with a Russian lookup database (DuckDuckGO / Yandex) and a Chinese web browser (Maxthon)

And I have never shopped on Amazon.

As for bank accounts, those are strictly government regulated institutions, and giving whatever data to them is a basic societal need with implied trust unlike that of a third party unregulated private company from the most anti-consumer country on the planet given access to even more invasive data.

I don't like the idea of being spied on but your tinfoil hat is showing...

I mean you're going a bit far trying to avoid having your life monitored.  

Also, Russia and China suck for things like personal liberty and rights such as privacy I'm 99% certain.  Why would you think that using Russian and Chinese based services would protect you and not harvest your data/habits to spy on you?

Someome in Russia, either their government intelligence agency or the people running your email and search engine, are probably looking over your usage data for whatever uses they may have for it.  Same goes for your web browser.  It's probably being monitored by their government to see what you're doing.  

I'm pretty sure, can't remember specific incidents off the top of my head, that Russia and China are between their governments and citizens two of the main sources of malicious digital attacks so there's no chance I'd ever trust any services in either country.  

2 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Of course there's a reason for it to be free.  When there are free services like that Trillian thing that TetraSky mentioned or iMessage why would I want to pay for Discord?

11 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is not necessarily true.

For many countries it has not been available until this release. Since December it's been available in one or two countries to try it out.

huh iv known about it since before that? anyway in that case one of the test contries must have been Sweden lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

19 hours ago, Coombzy said:

Well the thing that WILL piss people off is the fact the developers originally said there would never be any paid service for Discord. I personally think it was wise for them to go back on that due to the amount of people now using the program. However... people like to quote things all the time and complain

I'm pretty sure they just said it would always be free. 

4 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Do you use Trillian?  If so would you happen to know what they are offering with their subscription?  

Yes. And from what I can tell, the subscription is mostly to enable sync of older conversations saved in the cloud between all your devices. Another thing it does is remove the barely noticeable ads that ask if you want to support trillian by getting a premium membership instead and... that's pretty much it I think?

The bulk of the software is entirely free, with the "try premium subscription today!" ad that shows up in a conversation every hour or two and is barely noticeable if you use a darker theme (theme support is a thing).

There's also the popup when you first open Trillian. Small annoyances, easy to live with considering all it offers.

I switched to Trillian after MSN went kaput in favor of skype, even though it's barely an IM client.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Yes. And from what I can tell, the subscription is mostly to enable sync of older conversations saved in the cloud between all your devices. Another thing it does is remove the barely noticeable ads that ask if you want to support trillian by getting a premium membership instead and... that's pretty much it I think?

The bulk of the software is entirely free, with the "try premium subscription today!" ad that shows up in a conversation every hour or two and is barely noticeable if you use a darker theme (theme support is a thing).

There's also the popup when you first open Trillian. Small annoyances, easy to live with considering all it offers.

I switched to Trillian after MSN went kaput in favor of skype, even though it's barely an IM client.

Do you have a subscription?  Lifetime or other?

Does Trillian show when someone you're messaging is typing?

And show read receipts to indicate if sent messages have been seen by the recipient like iMessage does?

I had a couple people I used to use msn and then windows live messenger to talk to but oddly enough I stopped using it not long before WLM was killed by Microsoft.

Trillian sounds decent though I'm not sure who I'd use it to talk to.   

1 minute ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

As someone who rarely plays games on PC, what exactly do you guys use Discord for? 

for everything that skype does without the pain of using skype for games and non gaming related things

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Do you have a subscription?  Lifetime or other?

Does Trillian show when someone you're messaging is typing?

And show read receipts to indicate if sent messages have been seen by the recipient like iMessage does?

I had a couple people I used to use msn and then windows live messenger to talk to but oddly enough I stopped using it not long before WLM was killed by Microsoft.

Trillian sounds decent though I'm not sure who I'd use it to talk to.   

I don't have a subscription.
It does show when someone is typing. It even tells you when someone you don't even have a conversation window starts typing to message you.
No read receipt, but it does support offline messaging too.

Trillian also support logins from multiple other services, like aim, twitter, facebook, bonjour, foursquare, IRC, Yehoo  and what not. So even if your friends don't have trillian, you can stay in contact with them, all in one client. They used to have skype support but I don't they removed it due to microsoft killing "skypekit".

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 1/24/2017 at 6:37 AM, tlink said:

i honestly disagree with that. yes its their invention, but its also part of a lot of people their lives. they have full rights to complain if they wish so. just because its free and they don't own it doesn't mean that they are not dependent on it. and im not saying that the developer should listen to them, but if that creates a backslash than its the developers own fault for not listening or introducing it wrong.

Right because as a dev of an IP I'm not supposed to make money off my creation so I can make it better and pay off my debts.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

7 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I don't have a subscription.
It does show when someone is typing. It even tells you when someone you don't even have a conversation window starts typing to message you.
No read receipt, but it does support offline messaging too.

Trillian also support logins from multiple other services, like aim, twitter, facebook, bonjour, foursquare, IRC, Yehoo  and what not. So even if your friends don't have trillian, you can stay in contact with them, all in one client. They used to have skype support but I don't they removed it due to microsoft killing "skypekit".

Ok.  Thank you for the info about Trillian. 

9 hours ago, XenosTech said:

Right because as a dev of an IP I'm not supposed to make money off my creation so I can make it better and pay off my debts.

you clearly didn't read what i said, or you're making a straw man fallacy.