Discord is now asking for your money in the form of "Discord Nitro".

AlTech

You may know discord as a free app for chatting with people.  But today, Discord's creators have announced a new pricing strategy to ensure that they can sustain the development of discord.

Discord Nitro, their new paid tier, offers:

For just a few bucks a month, you’ll get:

• Animated Avatar — upload a GIF avatar that plays in your profile and when moused over in chat.
  • Use Custom Emoji Everywhere — get a global passport to use your custom emoji in any server or DM.
  • Boosted Upload Limit — share big images and files with a larger upload size of 50MB (from 8MB).
  • Rep Your Discord Support — display how long you’ve supported Discord with a special profile badge.

Remember, the core voice and text communication of Discord will always be free. No server fees, no user cap fees, no messaging fees, none of that.

discord.PNG

Source: Discord - https://blog.discordapp.com/boost-your-account-and-support-us-with-discord-nitro-4f894cfb80d9#.259woux4g

Opinion: This is ok. I was wondering how they were making money off of discord since their merch probably isn't selling well. And this answers that question.

I wonder how many people will actually pay for discord though........ Personally I won't but I'm interested in what you guys think.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

inb4 people complain of a FREE service by programmers wanting to make some money off of THEIR program.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Honestly if I had income I would totally get this because I use Discord seemingly every minute I'm awake lol

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

inb4 people complain of a FREE service by programmers wanting to make some money off of THEIR program.

Well the thing that WILL piss people off is the fact the developers originally said there would never be any paid service for Discord. I personally think it was wise for them to go back on that due to the amount of people now using the program. However... people like to quote things all the time and complain

I enjoy and love this messaging app ever since it came out. I'll probably subscribe to make sure it stays around.

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

1 minute ago, Coombzy said:

Well the thing that WILL piss people off is the fact the developers originally said there would never be any paid service for Discord. I personally think it was wise for them to go back on that due to the amount of people now using the program. However... people like to quote things all the time and complain

A programmer's invention (property?) should be his own. If he wishes to change to a paid service, he should be allowed to do so as it is his/her time being poured into the project and not the end-user's (barring beta testers). 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

since i use it all the time and it seems like a really nice platform I just upgraded to nitro

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

They want $50 USD a year for a messaging app?

I get that they need money, but considering how much competition there is, that is entirely free, that's just too much. Cut that in half and now we're talking.

Because honestly, I'm looking at the features it has, "compared to skype"... Then I compare that to Trillian and suddenly it's not worth it when Trillian has a lifetime subscription for $60 and nearly the same features (except in-browser and channels?)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

mmh... sure. why not? as long as it keeps doing everything skype does better and more, they can put any price tag they want to it cause it will be worth it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'll pay for it once I have a sustainable income and when they make the Linux and Windows 10 Mobile apps.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This like LTT's supporter packages for the forum. It really changes nothing, it's just a way of showing your support to the devs if you appreciate their product.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 hour ago, CtW said:

Well they have to make money somehow. At least they are just adding new features rather than charging for ones that were previously free.

They get money from investors, and Time Warner was/is one of them.

dsadaswadaq.JPG

If they can make money outside of having investors they can probably not have to bank on other companies giving them capital to stay afloat.

Got no problem at with them charging for advanced features and keeping what we already have free 

Discord is great as it is so I'm perfectly fine with the devs wanting to make money and ensuring they can continue running it. Also (at least as far as I can tell) they don't limit how much data or messages each Discord server can use (unlike slack) so it's kind of impressive that they are only now beginning to ask for money. Anyway if I had disposable income I'd buy this just to support the devs. Discord is awesome and this payment model doesn't detract from it in any way.

Hasn't this been around for a while? I'd only be inclined to support them if they cleaned up the UI a bit and made it easier to reach the latest notifications such as clicking them as they appear which currently does nothing. It also doesn't help that they ave mic support issues which cause only parts of someones sentence to be picked up, only making Discord feel more like Freeware.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

as long as what is offered is free, im happy  (personally i wouldnt mind a few non annoying ads here and there if it supports them. just dont be agressive with it.

4 minutes ago, Lethalmonk said:

as long as what is offered is free, im happy  (personally i wouldnt mind a few non annoying ads here and there if it supports them. just dont be agressive with it.

Meet single ladies now! Just 1km away!

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

If they accepted paypal, I'd for sure get nitro, definitely willing to help support them, and the perks from it are pretty nice as well.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'll pay for it once I have a sustainable income and when they make the Linux and Windows 10 Mobile apps.

A stable Linux build is out now. Windows 10 Mobile, probably gonna be concurrent with the release of Half-Life 3.

When I read about animated gifs and custom emoji anywhere my first reaction was "I wonder how long before people start abusing that?"

3 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

A programmer's invention (property?) should be his own. If he wishes to change to a paid service, he should be allowed to do so as it is his/her time being poured into the project and not the end-user's (barring beta testers). 

Not that I disagree with you, but an argument can also be made that if you make a commitment you should stick with it. If you give your word that an app will go free and you go back on your word that's a violation of trust. Has nothing to do with the app being your property or not, it has to do with not making commitments you can't keep.

If it is free - you are the product

If it is free and then later adds a paid upgrade - you are the product until you pay, then you become an idiot

I am 99.5% sure Discord harvests raw transmission data on its users and they won't stop doing it if you throw bucks at them.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.