Steam Link + Steam Controller (video and written)

ShadowCaptain

(oh  I am still alive BTW for those wondering :D) 

I Recently picked up but the Steam Link and Steam controller in the steam sale for a really good price - both are interesting pieces of tech for sure

TDLR: Steam Link  = amazing must have, Steam Controller = pretty cool but not a replacement of a normal pad

Video Review

Steam Link

First up is the steam link, this tiny apple TV-esque box sits under your TV and lets you stream any steam game on your PC directly to your TV and use any controller/K&M etc. Set up is as simple as booting up, selecting a language and connecting to your wifi/wired network. Make sure your gaming PC is turned on, and the link will automatically detect your PC and prompt you to enter a pin on your desktop - thats it , set up complete

The Link will boot into big picture mode, from here, its works exactly the same as steam big picture mode on your PC, but you are basically doing it remotely, there is no real discernible lag assuming your connection is fast enough, and at 1080p streamed to your TV it looks almost as good as being natively played too!

Honestly, this is a must have for any PC gamer who wants a cheap low cost, easy solution to living room gaming, only downside is its limited to 1080p, needs a decent network and the image isnt quite as sharp as a game played natively

A must have IMO

Steam Controller

This is less of a must have, but it entirely depends on your preferences, and what kinds of games you play. Set up in steam is as simple as connecting the dongle and it basically installs itself. It works great for typing on the steam link too.

The layout is strange, with some familiar features, L1/2 and R1/2 shoulder buttons, XAYB Face buttons, an analogue stick, start/select, home, but from here it differs drastically from a typical game pad, as the right analoge stick and DPAD are replaced with touch sensitive pads complete with insane haptic feedback. It also has L3/R3 buttons when you squeeze the pads under the grips! You can customise everything too

Personally, i find aiming in FPS/TPS and similar games difficult with the pad, and just not as enjoyable as a typical Xbox/Playstation style pad, however it comes into its own for playing games like Civ on a TV!

Honestly the steam controller is interesting. Its well built and works well, but for me personally, it will not replace a traditional game pad for all my gaming needs, especially FPS/TPS shooter style games

Hope you enjoyed the review, keeping it short and sweet! Feel free to ask any questions

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Ah, bought it during steam Christmas sale confirmed eh? :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

10 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

however it comes into its own for playing games like Civ on a TV!

having my very own steam controller, i think this is kinda why they made it so "different" from other controllers.

if you want the classic controller experience, the market is already "saturated" at best, but if you are that one person that needs some weird hybrid to play civ on a TV, the steam controller is amazing.

i have to say i've also been liking "gyro yoke" on flight simulator X :P

Can't watch video now as I am on my phone data....

I disagree with what you said about controller though. I have it for about two years now and I had no reason to go back to my XBOX controller.

The biggest impact on your experience with it is how well you set it up and from what I see of your opinion I think you did not had it set up properly.

I can help you when I get home in about 3 hours if you agree. I play multiple genres and I find it irreplaceable (yes, mouse and keyboard are still king in FPS)

22 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ah, bought it during steam Christmas sale confirmed eh? :D 

haha YUP

15 minutes ago, manikyath said:

SNIP

Yeah I agree! Its great to have alternative options and it works great for certain things that would be impossible on a regular controller

10 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I disagree with what you said about controller though.

Sure, you can try, but since I still use regular controllers for PS4, Xbox, and various games, I will never really have time to make the steam controller my "go to"

Ive tried plenty of configs, I just dont think I could ever like playing first or third person games with it as much as my 360 pad, for a start, the XAYB buttons are way harder to use than a regular controller, like I can press A+X when using the right stick, not possible on the steam controller, and I just dont find the touchpad to have the same "feeling" in 3rd/first person games

But I do like it for some stuff

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

16 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

haha YUP

Yeah I agree! Its great to have alternative options and it works great for certain things that would be impossible on a regular controller

Sure, you can try, but since I still use regular controllers for PS4, Xbox, and various games, I will never really have time to make the steam controller my "go to"

Ive tried plenty of configs, I just dont think I could ever like playing first or third person games with it as much as my 360 pad, for a start, the XAYB buttons are way harder to use than a regular controller, like I can press A+X when using the right stick, not possible on the steam controller, and I just dont find the touchpad to have the same "feeling" in 3rd/first person games

But I do like it for some stuff

Sure, if physical restrictions are what bothers I can't help you much there except maybe considering some config where it would be less cumbersome to use. It took me about two days to get use to the face buttons but for me it was easy transition from the XBOX controller because I have long fingers. But yes, early on I was often hitting Y, B when I wanted to hit X, A.

What I am almost sure is that I can show you how to setup touchpad so that if feels way better than it ever was using a stick.

And it is especially aimed at 3rd person games because I play these a lot as well.

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

What I am almost sure is that I can show you how to setup touchpad so that if feels way better than it ever was using a stick.

And it is especially aimed at 3rd person games because I play these a lot as well.

Ill give it a try :D

15 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Ill give it a try :D

Do you have Skype so that I can screen share or should I make a written guide with pictures? That will take a while though :D

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Do you have Skype so that I can screen share or should I make a written guide with pictures? That will take a while though :D

I do haha

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

All right. I will PM you when I get home. Prepare for awful accent...or lack of. :D

might have gone to bed actually haha

41 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

might have gone to bed actually haha

No problem. I will PM you my Skype and add me whenever if you want.... I will be arriving late at night for entire week so it may wait until weekend. I am tired as well.

EDIT: BTW I watched your video now. It is really nice but the music is overpowering your voice sometimes.