Nvidia Shield Portable 2 spotted at the FCC

Chuck Angeline
3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Except literally they could call this Tegra XP. See what I did there? xD.

and they could have called the Titan Titan XP but they missed that :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Can a Shield be used to command a Roomba from the toilet (where else do you use one) to go and get me a beer, and put the washing in the dryer?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

10 hours ago, Chuck Angeline said:

I think I'm actually going to buy a used Shield for my birthday in February since the switch launch looks so disappointing. If they had announced more Third party games (Like Dark Souls or Rocket League) for launch I'd probably would hold of on buying a shield. 

The only other consoles I was contemplating was the JXD S7800 or the GPD XD. I love emulators but i would also like the bonus of streaming my PC library. The other two devices can Stream using the Moonlight App, but the Shield Portable seems to win with controls and design.

you could just hook up an xbox controller to an android phone and 3d print a holder for it or use something like the Nyko smart clip. would probably be a LOT cheaper and give you a lot more flexibility. just use the moonlight project to stream it. my raspberry pi 3 can handle 60 fps streaming so i think most mid to high end phones should be more than capable.

16 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

hope the swich uses a powerful pascal chip. 

Based on confirmation of rumors now that we know the switch (down to exact specs, like battery mAh specs, and features), we know that it isn't a Maxwell Tegra X1 chip. And Nintendo mentioned that despite Zelda running at 900p and 30fps when docked, they claim that they are not using the full potential of the Switch. This would suggest that dev kits are powered by Maxwell X1 chip, but the Switch final product has a more powerful chip. (And the Switch release of Zelda is a port.. and keep in mind that the company developed for PowerPC CPUs and AMD custom GPUs, so they need to learn how to developed in a very optimized way on the system. We have seen something like this with previous console gen with XBox 360 and PS3, early games looks much less impressive than towards their end of life).

That said, Pascal is not a new magical architecture. Volta is. Pascal is really based on Maxwell. It is Maxwell just more efficient.

Now, does the Switch performance matching the XBox One/PS3 base models? I seriously doubt it. But it is a seriously killer mobile platform that is so powerful, it still manages to destroy the performance of the WiiU (possible 2x to 4x times the performance). On a technologically stand point, the Switch is simply insane.

My guess is that the Switch is powered by "Tegra P1" P for Pascal. It isn't some XBox One consuming a few Watts and portable miracle, which I guess many people expected to, SOMEHOW.  But, so far, the games looks more impressive than the Nvidia Shield TV games, at least to me.

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If it is real, RIP Switch xD 

I assume this will have the full chip and knowing nvidia, they will just add fans if necessary to get the X1 running at full speed.

* At least, it should be RIP switch... I'm sure Nintendo won't be releasing versions of their key games for other platforms in order to maintain a reason for people to buy their hardware :dry:

It just ends up as some in-home streaming device for everyone that has it. I don't expect that to change. I doubt AAA devs will jump on it with any new titles. It will be titles that you probably already played on your PC. And you don't have the cool controllers, HD rumble, and comfortable setup. You'll have this device that you stick on your face with your hands close together. You do get to do in home streaming though.

12 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

It still looks....fucking retarded. Sorry there's just no other way of putting it: this thing is just frozen stupid.

I actually owned one and it handles better than it looks. It looks like some Frankenstein invention even up close but it's a cool device. The only bad thing about it in my opinion was that the screen quality wasn't great at all.

I can't say I'm a massive fan of the shield portable but I loved the old shield tablet. I hope this means another iteration of that is coming.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

8 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

All that aside, I do think it is unreasonable to believe that nintento would opt for a more costly gpu and continue to sell the console for 299.  Surely there is a limit to how much money they're willing to eat on the console(if any) .  Nintento has to know they're not going to sell more than a small spattering of games to a large portion of their userbase(zelda/mario kart crowd). 

I can see nvida giving Nintendo preferred pricing on older chips,  but nothing to write home about for newer ones.

I do agree with you, but at the same time, we don't know Nvidia's attitude on this. Perhaps with AMD's superior console market share, maybe Nvidia will take a slight loss to get a hold of some of it?

My personal opinion is that it's likely the Maxwell variant, mostly because I can't see Nintendo themselves caring about more power, as they have not cared about raw horsepower in recent years. They are mostly able to get away with inferior hardware due to custom API's and talented programmers. That being said, skimping out on the hardware will severely hamper 3rd party ports for this console, especially once you factor in it already using a custom Nvidia proprietary API. 

Ideally, I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of gamestream feature on it, similar to other Nvidia tegra devices. The ability to stream your PC games to the device, as that would help offset the inferior hardware in console mode to a certain extent, but knowing Nvidia and their personal shield lineup, I can't imagine they would allow this. It's just a shame they wouldn't team up and go that route. They would then have a very solid handheld, and a great docked console experience for Nintendo games and their streamed AAA titles from a real computer.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

52 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I do agree with you, but at the same time, we don't know Nvidia's attitude on this. Perhaps with AMD's superior console market share, maybe Nvidia will take a slight loss to get a hold of some of it?

My personal opinion is that it's likely the Maxwell variant, mostly because I can't see Nintendo themselves caring about more power, as they have not cared about raw horsepower in recent years. They are mostly able to get away with inferior hardware due to custom API's and talented programmers. That being said, skimping out on the hardware will severely hamper 3rd party ports for this console, especially once you factor in it already using a custom Nvidia proprietary API. 

Ideally, I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of gamestream feature on it, similar to other Nvidia tegra devices. The ability to stream your PC games to the device, as that would help offset the inferior hardware in console mode to a certain extent, but knowing Nvidia and their personal shield lineup, I can't imagine they would allow this. It's just a shame they wouldn't team up and go that route. They would then have a very solid handheld, and a great docked console experience for Nintendo games and their streamed AAA titles from a real computer.

I see Nvidia giving the superior chip at the same price as the old chip. Nvidia is desperate to push its Tegra chip. That is why they are pushing car integration on both user experience, and self-driving. While it has some partners on select models, it isn't much.. it is not like it has non-premium cars.

If this is real, I hope the screen size is bigger than the first. The massive bezels made the shield look incredibly dated even back then, and it didn't look like it would be that difficult to fit a larger display into the same space.

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Based on confirmation of rumors now that we know the switch (down to exact specs, like battery mAh specs, and features), we know that it isn't a Maxwell Tegra X1 chip. And Nintendo mentioned that despite Zelda running at 900p and 30fps when docked, they claim that they are not using the full potential of the Switch. This would suggest that dev kits are powered by Maxwell X1 chip, but the Switch final product has a more powerful chip. (And the Switch release of Zelda is a port.. and keep in mind that the company developed for PowerPC CPUs and AMD custom GPUs, so they need to learn how to developed in a very optimized way on the system. We have seen something like this with previous console gen with XBox 360 and PS3, early games looks much less impressive than towards their end of life).

That said, Pascal is not a new magical architecture. Volta is. Pascal is really based on Maxwell. It is Maxwell just more efficient.

Now, does the Switch performance matching the XBox One/PS3 base models?

*PS4

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 hours ago, tlink said:

you could just hook up an xbox controller to an android phone and 3d print a holder for it or use something like the Nyko smart clip. would probably be a LOT cheaper and give you a lot more flexibility. just use the moonlight project to stream it. my raspberry pi 3 can handle 60 fps streaming so i think most mid to high end phones should be more than capable.

The latency on the Steam Sheild is much better than a 'ghetto shield' Linus made a video comparing the two.

truth is we know nothing except speccualtion on the switch specs which is why i havent prepurchased mine ill wait till after e3 and consider it then

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

1 hour ago, Eroda said:

truth is we know nothing except speccualtion on the switch specs which is why i havent prepurchased mine ill wait till after e3 and consider it then

But does it matter? Do you really think that the Switch has a GTX 1080 and a Core i7 6 core desktop CPU with 0 throttling, and cool and quiet operation, at such low low price, in such small package? Because anything else, I think you'll be disappointed. Technological limitation is at work here. The reality of things is that in general, a more power consuming chip provides better performance over the a lower power consuming one. And that is keeping in mind cost. Nvidia chips costs more, and I doubt Nvidia is ever open to the idea of selling a chip at cost for the hope to make minimal amount of ever growing profit as production cost lowers, and R&D is paid, unlike AMD.

Tegra CPU isn't great. Qualcomm does faster CPUs. Where Tegra wins, is really, its: devs tools, Nvidia graphics and physics library, full standard GeForce architecture with no limitations, full and proper OpenGL and Vulkan support, and documentation of GeForce line GPUs applies for Tegra as well. This allows devs to treat the console as a weak'ish PC, reducing the complexity and cost of developer over the mess that was the WiiU, with its weak PowerPC CPU (believed to be fastest from IBM), and a very custom AMD architecture. This was a big barrier for third party devs. So in order to make it so that it is worth developing something on it, you need a large user base, that is also willing to buy your game (an issue with the Wii... where it had a lot of user, but mostly casual, so non-casual games didn't sale well, and even those didn't sale well, which made studios not bother investing, so, instead of having proper motion control tracking which Nintendo managed to do a pretty good job considering the technological limitation with cost at the time (I mean the console was like 250$ not 800$), was proper, but most games outside of that where just "waggle and I'll act as a button press".

So now Nintendo messaging is million or billion times better, development of the console is easy, Nintendo is working with third party dev (a first!), Nintendo is open to indies, and pushes this WITH showcasing indie titles in its presentation  and demos (before, indies had no visibility, even if Nintendo had nothing to show at a presentation). It has Nvidia backing as well, plus as mentioned above, ease of development, and the device and the device marketing is targeting at an older, mature audience (ages since Nintendo did that).

Now, waiting for more games, that I understand. Personally, I haven't pre-ordered it. Because:

1- There are no games because Zelda, and a few indie titles.

2- Mario Kart 8, I have it on my WiiU, no need to re-buy it. I'll wait during the holidays where I'll actually have people over for fun to justify the cost, over the occasional person coming over. Beside, probably will have DLC, and the price will drop a bit making it worth buying it. We will see.

3- Most likely during the holidays, to fight against XBox Scorpion release, you'll have some bundle. Maybe 1-2-Switch included in the game. While I don't see myself playing this game, beside treating as a cool tech demo of the HD rumble and motion controls, it is at least something to help justify the high cost (a problem in Canada, as the console is 400$!!!)

4- Will have more games to help justify the cost of the system (I expect E3 to have Nintendo actually show more games to be released later in 2017 and 2018).

On 1/22/2017 at 8:25 PM, nerdslayer1 said:

lets hope we don't know the full power of the switch yet. 

Now witness the power of this fully operational battle stat... err, Nintendo Switch!

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

On 22/01/2017 at 7:28 PM, Shiv78 said:

we do it uses a Tegra X1 at lower clocks than the Shield/tablet. Maxwell architecture.

No it does not. It uses a custom Maxwell Tegra, not the X1. It said as much on the official press release from Nvidia, and the leaks since have indicated that to be true as well with all indications that it only has four identical cores, not an 8-way BIG.little config.  

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

But does it matter? Do you really think that the Switch has a GTX 1080 and a Core i7 6 core desktop CPU with 0 throttling, and cool and quiet operation, at such low low price, in such small package? Because anything else, I think you'll be disappointed. Technological limitation is at work here. The reality of things is that in general, a more power consuming chip provides better performance over the a lower power consuming one. And that is keeping in mind cost. Nvidia chips costs more, and I doubt Nvidia is ever open to the idea of selling a chip at cost for the hope to make minimal amount of ever growing profit as production cost lowers, and R&D is paid, unlike AMD.

Tegra CPU isn't great. Qualcomm does faster CPUs. Where Tegra wins, is really, its: devs tools, Nvidia graphics and physics library, full standard GeForce architecture with no limitations, full and proper OpenGL and Vulkan support, and documentation of GeForce line GPUs applies for Tegra as well. This allows devs to treat the console as a weak'ish PC, reducing the complexity and cost of developer over the mess that was the WiiU, with its weak PowerPC CPU (believed to be fastest from IBM), and a very custom AMD architecture. This was a big barrier for third party devs. So in order to make it so that it is worth developing something on it, you need a large user base, that is also willing to buy your game (an issue with the Wii... where it had a lot of user, but mostly casual, so non-casual games didn't sale well, and even those didn't sale well, which made studios not bother investing, so, instead of having proper motion control tracking which Nintendo managed to do a pretty good job considering the technological limitation with cost at the time (I mean the console was like 250$ not 800$), was proper, but most games outside of that where just "waggle and I'll act as a button press".

So now Nintendo messaging is million or billion times better, development of the console is easy, Nintendo is working with third party dev (a first!), Nintendo is open to indies, and pushes this WITH showcasing indie titles in its presentation  and demos (before, indies had no visibility, even if Nintendo had nothing to show at a presentation). It has Nvidia backing as well, plus as mentioned above, ease of development, and the device and the device marketing is targeting at an older, mature audience (ages since Nintendo did that).

Now, waiting for more games, that I understand. Personally, I haven't pre-ordered it. Because:

1- There are no games because Zelda, and a few indie titles.

2- Mario Kart 8, I have it on my WiiU, no need to re-buy it. I'll wait during the holidays where I'll actually have people over for fun to justify the cost, over the occasional person coming over. Beside, probably will have DLC, and the price will drop a bit making it worth buying it. We will see.

3- Most likely during the holidays, to fight against XBox Scorpion release, you'll have some bundle. Maybe 1-2-Switch included in the game. While I don't see myself playing this game, beside treating as a cool tech demo of the HD rumble and motion controls, it is at least something to help justify the high cost (a problem in Canada, as the console is 400$!!!)

4- Will have more games to help justify the cost of the system (I expect E3 to have Nintendo actually show more games to be released later in 2017 and 2018).

it really doesnt matter what the specs are , im waiting not only due to specs but because its unclear how the device will shake out, waiting until after E3 when we have more firm release dates for more games and the systems pros and cons are all out in the open and nothing is being hidden , then i will purchase it if i choose to do so i mean i gotta upgrade my PC this year im waiting on ryzen to see if ill go back to AMD or go out and get a LGA2011 setup and a secondhand 900 series until volta drops next year

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

1 hour ago, Eroda said:

it really doesnt matter what the specs are , im waiting not only due to specs but because its unclear how the device will shake out, waiting until after E3 when we have more firm release dates for more games and the systems pros and cons are all out in the open and nothing is being hidden , then i will purchase it if i choose to do so i mean i gotta upgrade my PC this year im waiting on ryzen to see if ill go back to AMD or go out and get a LGA2011 setup and a secondhand 900 series until volta drops next year

Ah ok, I follow you :)

6 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

No it does not. It uses a custom Maxwell Tegra, not the X1. It said as much on the official press release from Nvidia, and the leaks since have indicated that to be true as well with all indications that it only has four identical cores, not an 8-way BIG.little config.  

Well I can only hope that the leaks were wrong since they suggested the CPU was clocked at ~1 GHz which I know from manually adjusting the clock speed on my shield tablet is enough to take literally any demanding 3D game you can find from playable at max settings 60 hz 1200p (@ 2.2 GHz, full speed for the K1) to totally unplayable (@ ~1.3 Ghz)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well I can only hope that the leaks were wrong since they suggested the CPU was clocked at ~1 GHz which I know from manually adjusting the clock speed on my shield tablet is enough to take literally any demanding 3D game you can find from playable at max settings 60 hz 1200p (@ 2.2 GHz, full speed for the K1) to totally unplayable (@ ~1.3 Ghz)

1Ghz might be acceptable if they're Denver v2 cores though rather than the a53 cores in sample units. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

9 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

1Ghz might be acceptable if they're Denver v2 cores though rather than the a53 cores in sample units. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

That we will.  Based on what I've experienced and heard, I can't imagine how the device would be usable, but obviously they wouldn't release it if it wasn't.  It should be interesting.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That we will.  Based on what I've experienced and heard, I can't imagine how the device would be usable, but obviously they wouldn't release it if it wasn't.  It should be interesting.

I don't really take pre-release performance as a sign of anything though. Need I remind everyone that the original Xbox One demo's ran on PC's? They even blue-screened mid event, lol. 

While I don't expect a dramatic hardware overall (or for the parts to be swapped out), I do expect some tweaks to be made as far as potential clock speeds go, and perhaps more polish on the games themselves. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.