Nvidia Shield Portable 2 spotted at the FCC

Chuck Angeline

I loved my portable but I haven't used it in a long time, maybe one day I will use it again.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

7 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

not speed with pascal just efficiency, better battery life.   

There is no reason it couldn't achieve both. The GTX 1080 about 20% faster than the 980ti at around half the power consumption.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 minute ago, Carclis said:

There is no reason it couldn't achieve both. The GTX 1080 about 20% faster than the 980ti at around half the power consumption.

lets hope 

2 minutes ago, Carclis said:

From what we've seen it plays Breath of the Wild at 720p30/900p30 (undocked/docked), so if this is powered by a Pascal based Tegra it would be significantly faster.

Not entirely true. They could still opt for a newer, more powerful Tegra and underclock it for the sake of efficiency. Similar performance as an older Tegra, with less power consumed for the sake of battery life. This still falls under the "we don't know what it really is yet" category. It's perfectly possible that this is a Maxwell Tegra, but it's equally possible it's a Pascal one. Point is, we don't know.

I know people will start quoting yield metrics to me as if they have the inside information, but those people are just as uninformed as the rest of us. We don't know how long Nvidia has been in development on this (outside of their proclaimed 500 man-years of effort), what the real yields are, and we don't know if this was started before even seeing the desktop Pascal SKU's (which isn't unreasonable if we look at the polaris chips in consoles).

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

6 minutes ago, Carclis said:

But that's 28nm vs 16nm finfet

Tegra = 20nm vs 16nm finfet? Or is it 14nm?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

3 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

But that's 28nm vs 16nm finfet

Tegra = 20nm vs 16nm finfet? Or is it 14nm?

20 vs 16. That, and the 1080 certainly doesn't use around half the power of a 980 Ti, so I have no idea what he was going on about.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/30

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1080_STRIX/22.html

If it is real, RIP Switch xD 

I assume this will have the full chip and knowing nvidia, they will just add fans if necessary to get the X1 running at full speed.

* At least, it should be RIP switch... I'm sure Nintendo won't be releasing versions of their key games for other platforms in order to maintain a reason for people to buy their hardware :dry:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I assume this will have the full chip and knowing nvidia, they will just add fans if necessary to get the X1 running at full speed.

* At least, it should be RIP switch... I'm sure Nintendo won't be releasing versions of their key games for other platforms in order to maintain a reason for people to buy their hardware :dry:

Except this will end up exactly like the original Shield portable, with limited AAA title support, and mediocre android support (like the removal of our SD card saves). Granted, we were able to bypass the SD card issue by rooting the device, it's still not great. I ended up selling my shield after it turned out to be a niche toy, and not the mobile gaming device I expected it to be. 

Nintendo at least has the brand power and enough in-house developers to bring games to it. Nvidia had... it's streaming services? lol.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

Except this will end up exactly like the original Shield portable, with limited AAA title support, and mediocre android support (like the removal of our SD card saves). Granted, we were able to bypass the SD card issue by rooting the device, it's still not great. I ended up selling my shield after it turned out to be a niche toy, and not the mobile gaming device I expected it to be. 

Nintendo at least has the brand power and enough in-house developers to bring games to it. Nvidia had... it's streaming services? lol.

I just feel sad seeing great games trapped on unnecessarily inferior hardware, and announcements like this, be them real or not, just twist the knife in that wound, so to speak.  I mean, the original Shield TV that's been out for how long now was already more powerful in theory...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

39 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The switch sheild doesn't have Zelda, Mario, cartrages etc. The switch sheild could become interesting but only if Nvidia managed to essentially become a full member of the console wars

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

The switch doesn't have Zelda, Mario, cartrages etc. The switch sheild could become interesting but only if Nvidia managed to essentially become a full member of the console wars

Yeah, that's the problem.... if Nintendo could just release their games for other hardware, or, if they want to keep it locked down, just make that better hardware themselves, that would be great.  People have been content to use their woefully underpowered devices all this time because despite what they were, they managed to deliver a great experience, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters.  Now though we're seeing the impact of their decision, particularly in the new Zelda.  Not 60 fps, not 1080p, and no good excuse as to why.

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I just feel sad seeing great games trapped on unnecessarily inferior hardware, and announcements like this, be them real or not, just twist the knife in that wound, so to speak.  I mean, the original Shield TV that's been out for how long now was already more powerful in theory...

I agree entirely. I might be in the minority here, but if Nintendo marketed this as a mobile device, and allowed you to play all of the old NES/SNES/N64 titles on the go (with a cheap nintendo store to buy the games) it would be a huge selling point to someone like me. It'd have plenty of horsepower to emulate those older titles (and to be honest, emulation was the #1 reason I got the Nvidia Shield Portable in the first place) while still having a decent experience with newer titles.

The biggest problem Nintendo faces, is marketing. Marketing this thing as a legitimate gaming console against the likes of the PS4(Pro) and Xbox One(S) means they are punching way above their weight class with inferior hardware. People will compare it to those consoles, and it will get torn to shreds. Marketing it as a mobile device, it would be compared against the likes android tablets, the shield, the previous Nintendo handhelds, the older PS Vita, etc. It would be the king of that market, while putting up a decent fight as against the aforementioned non-mobile consoles.

I am hoping that the docked performance of the Zelda game is due to it being unfinished, and that we might actually see 60fps (even at a lower resolution) for most titles. My biggest gripe with the switch, is Nintendo's absurd marketing tactics. Paying for online play, that lets you play a retro title for only 30 days, then it deactivates? Come on. Sony and MS offer way better incentives than that, and have been doing so for years. If they actually let you keep the retro titles, it'd be way more compelling. I do like the added WLAN multiplayer features added to the older titles, and that is certainly welcome, but it means very little if you can't actually get the games for a reasonable price.

Oh, and if we don't get Pokemon Red or Blue on the Switch, then all hope is lost. 

Marketing it as a mobile device, it would be compared against the likes android tablets, the shield, the previous Nintendo handhelds, the older PS Vita, etc. It would be the king of that market, while putting up a decent fight as against the aforementioned non-mobile consoles.

See, I don't think it even would manage that, and that's the issue I have with it.  It should be - that was totally their fruit to grab, and they didn't bother.  Using the X1 that had already been out for quite some time, and then downclocking it to boot was not the right move imo.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

See, I don't think it even would manage that, and that's the issue I have with it.  It should be - that was totally their fruit to grab, and they didn't bother.  Using the X1 that had already been out for quite some time, and then downclocking it to boot was not the right move imo.

It wouldn't matter though. For a mobile device, it would be just as powerful in terms of emulation, and even against a stronger shield portable, it would have the advantage of having in-house developers and AAA titles that people care about. Back when I had the Shield Portable, all we had was Trine, and some mobile android racing game that was fun to crash into other cars. That, and again, emulation. 

I don't know about you, but the Shield Portables controller was pretty awful (specifically the joysticks). I just could never get used to them, no matter how hard I tried. I am hoping that the Switch is better in that regard. I don't see myself buying one at launch though, because I refuse to pay $300 for a product that won't even come with a game. That, and I still hate their online service (even if it's a free trial). They need to seriously work on that before it's even out. In it's current state, it's ridiculous. Using a phone app for voice/lobbys? That's tacky x.x

It wouldn't matter though. For a mobile device, it would be just as powerful in terms of emulation, and even against a stronger shield portable, it would have the advantage of having in-house developers and AAA titles that people care about. Back when I had the Shield Portable, all we had was Trine, and some mobile android racing game that was fun to crash into other cars. That, and again, emulation. 

I don't know about you, but the Shield Portables controller was pretty awful (specifically the joysticks). I just could never get used to them, no matter how hard I tried. I am hoping that the Switch is better in that regard. I don't see myself buying one at launch though, because I refuse to pay $300 for a product that won't even come with a game. That, and I still hate their online service (even if it's a free trial). They need to seriously work on that before it's even out. In it's current state, it's ridiculous. Using a phone app for voice/lobbys? That's tacky x.x

I'm talking about the big Nintendo games, not just emulation.  Sure, anything should be fine for emulation :P  I mean, the GBA had a lot of what were essentially just ported SNES games for it, and we've come a long way from that level of power

would be funny if this thing is faster than a switch :P 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

20 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

would be funny if this thing is faster than a switch :P 

Yes it would, and I fully expect it to be xD 

2 hours ago, MageTank said:

20 vs 16. That, and the 1080 certainly doesn't use around half the power of a 980 Ti, so I have no idea what he was going on about.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/30

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1080_STRIX/22.html

I should have said around twice the efficiency and I made the mistake of thinking the Tegra X1 was based on 28nm. There is also a chance that the Tegra in this Shield might be based on 10nm since TSMC began mass production this quarter and the chips in question are small enough that yields would be less of an issue.

power-rise.png

power-rise-eff.png

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/GeForce-GTX-1080-8GB-Founders-Edition-Review-GP104-Brings-Pascal-Gamers/PC-Pe

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

6 hours ago, Shiv78 said:

we do it uses a Tegra X1 at lower clocks than the Shield/tablet. Maxwell architecture.

Shield tablet uses the Kepler based K1, only the ShieldTV uses the X1.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

22 hours ago, SamStrecker said:

No it uses maxwell

20 hours ago, MageTank said:

So that's still a no? From your own source:

All I have seen thus far (and what you've just currently presented me) is speculation and rumors. Nobody knows, because nobody has taken one apart yet. With that being said, I say we refrain from calling others out and speaking in absolutes about a subject until we actually know whats under the hood. Spreading speculation as if it's fact will only lead to potential misinformation in the future. 

20 hours ago, Shiv78 said:

Both Nintendo and Nvidia have stayed quiet about the chip.

We do not know if it based on Maxwell or Pascal. Once ChipWorks has a sample in March, we'll get to see if Nintendo went with Maxwell or Pascal.

Edited by AluminiumTech
Fixed some typos

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 hours ago, MageTank said:

Not entirely true. They could still opt for a newer, more powerful Tegra and underclock it for the sake of efficiency. Similar performance as an older Tegra, with less power consumed for the sake of battery life. This still falls under the "we don't know what it really is yet" category. It's perfectly possible that this is a Maxwell Tegra, but it's equally possible it's a Pascal one. Point is, we don't know.

I know people will start quoting yield metrics to me as if they have the inside information, but those people are just as uninformed as the rest of us. We don't know how long Nvidia has been in development on this (outside of their proclaimed 500 man-years of effort), what the real yields are, and we don't know if this was started before even seeing the desktop Pascal SKU's (which isn't unreasonable if we look at the polaris chips in consoles).

All that aside, I do think it is unreasonable to believe that nintento would opt for a more costly gpu and continue to sell the console for 299.  Surely there is a limit to how much money they're willing to eat on the console(if any) .  Nintento has to know they're not going to sell more than a small spattering of games to a large portion of their userbase(zelda/mario kart crowd). 

I can see nvida giving Nintendo preferred pricing on older chips,  but nothing to write home about for newer ones.

I hope this doesn't use the Tegra X1 and that Nvidia gives it the Tegra Pascal chip.....

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

10 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I hope this doesn't use the Tegra X1 and that Nvidia gives it the Tegra Pascal chip.....

if it goes anything like the Titan XP, they'll make a whole new chip that's significantly more powerful and call it the X1 all over again xD 

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

if it goes anything like the Titan XP, they'll make a whole new chip that's significantly more powerful and call it the X1 all over again xD 

Except literally they could call this Tegra XP. See what I did there? xD.