i3 passive cooling?

NeroSphere

Hi!

Do you think an i3 2100T would be OK passively cooled in a mini itx case (front intake and rear exhaust), under mostly medium load with a larger cooler? I've got a cooler master 212 evo style cooler without a fan. 

Cheers.

OK fair point yes its not a passive case. Thanks for input. I shall do my build now!

I seen a build that used a large heat sink and removed the fan. I watch too many you tuber to remember which one.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Should be fine as long as there's some kind of airflow going through it.

Well I'm hoping for it to run plex on under 100W build so cheap running but can still transcode if needed. So minimal fans cause it's going in the living room, plus some acoustic foam if its noisy. 

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

I passively cooled my i7 4790 with a Raijintek EreBoss (basically a slightly fatter 212 evo) and it reached 80 Celsius, max. So I'd say you'd be fine c:

That sure isn't a small piece of metal! Then I'm confident it should be good enough. 

While I think on it can you recommend any quiet fans?

These are supposed to be especially quiet because they use magnets instead of ball or sleeve bearings, although expensive.  The bigger blades should keep it quieter.  I'm planning on getting some LED ones, but since you're trying to save power you might want the regular ones.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

27 minutes ago, NeroSphere said:

That sure isn't a small piece of metal! Then I'm confident it should be good enough. 

While I think on it can you recommend any quiet fans?

If you just want a quiet system and aren't going full passive, there's little reason to not go with an actively cooled heatsink. 

What are your specs and where are you shopping/located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you just want a quiet system and aren't going full passive, there's little reason to not go with an actively cooled heatsink. 

What are your specs and where are you shopping/located?

Specs are:

i3 2100T

Mini ITX board (yet to be sourced)

Possibly a GTX 710 passive

Kolink satellite case

a couple of quiet fans

350W Antec PSU

14 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

These are supposed to be especially quiet because they use magnets instead of ball or sleeve bearings, although expensive.  The bigger blades should keep it quieter.  I'm planning on getting some LED ones, but since you're trying to save power you might want the regular ones.

Ah i had forgotten about these but I'm on a budget so don't think I can afford them as well. Thank you for the idea though.

Just throwing this out there, if you haven't already bought the parts, you might go with a Skylake or Kaby Lake (DEFINITELY NOT Haswell) CPU for better temperatures and performance.  The Pentium G4400 for example.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

8 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Just throwing this out there, if you haven't already bought the parts, you might go with a Skylake or Kaby Lake (DEFINITELY NOT Haswell) CPU for better temperatures and performance.  The Pentium G4400 for example.

The 2100T is Sandy bridge. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.