Help: Pc does not always boot

Hi Guys, 

I am currently having this issue with my pc: When I press the power button, it does not always start working. 

When I am using it, it does work properly and do not shout down... So, I did some research and some potential causes could be the psu or the mobo. 

So far I have tried:

• Using another psu cable. 
  • Pressing all the connectors to make sure everything is correctly plugged. 
  • Smell/hear the psu (it does not look burned at all)

So, my main guess here will be that is the motherboard but what is weird is the randomness of when it does work. I mean I can press the power button 5 times and none could work or I can just press it once, and it will work.

Have you experienced something like this?

Could you share some insights with me? 

Thanks

By the way: 

Mobo: ASUS Z170 DELUXE
PSU: Cooler Master V1000

This will sound weird but its about eliminating the switch as the cause.

First unplug the power switch header from the board so it exposes the 2 jumper pins. Next take a flathead screwdriver and use it to touch both pins at the same time (shorting them out). If it starts up flip the PSU switch or pull the power cable to turn it back off and try again.

Does it start every time you try with a screwdriver?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

This will sound weird but its about eliminating the switch as the cause.

First unplug the power switch header from the board so it exposes the 2 jumper pins. Next take a flathead screwdriver and use it to touch both pins at the same time (shorting them out). If it starts up flip the PSU switch or pull the power cable to turn it back off and try again.

Does it start every time you try with a screwdriver?

Hi Master Disaster, 

Thanks for your fast reply. I will try to do this. My next noob question is: Should I do this with my psu ON or OFF? I mean to avoid dying :)

PSU on as you want to check if your machine powers on with a screwdriver. Don't worry about electrocution, there's only 3 volts running through the switch jumpers, not even enough for you to feel plus your screwdriver will most likely have a plastic handle anyway.

Here ya go

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

23 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

PSU on as you want to check if your machine powers on with a screwdriver. Don't worry about electrocution, there's only 3 volts running through the switch jumpers, not even enough for you to feel plus your screwdriver will most likely have a plastic handle anyway.

Here ya go

I did a few tries with the screwdriver. All of them were successful... So I cleaned and changed the header switch and now starts perfectly. 

Man, you just saved my weekend. I own you a couple of beers. 

Thanks a LOT. 

Update: Now its not working anymore... even using the screwdriver does not work always.

What is usually working is unplugin the power cable and plug it in + switch the psu... This is getting even more weird... 

Its weird that it does not turn on even using the physical power button on the motherboard or using the screwdriver...

See attached pictures. 

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Here ya go

So it only works if i: 

- Unplug the power

- Use the screwdriver to start it. 

- Shutdown and start with motherboard physical button

- Shutdown and start with regular power button (plug head back before ofc.).

However, it will not work the next time I try to start it...

What does this mean? :( 

Anyone? 

Quite honestly I have no idea what would be causing that.

I'd recommend you take it down to a local shop and ask them to do a diagnoses as they will have spares they can use to test it with because the next step would be pull it apart and begin changing things to find out what is faulty. It could be the PSU, CPU, board or RAM at this point.

It'll cost but not as much as buying additional parts blind might end up costing you.

Before you do anything though you should try updating the UEFI to the latest version just in case its a software issue in the boards acpi controller.