Books for Java Beginners

Eclipse_

Hi, so I am beginning to dive into Java. I'm looking for a book or 2 (or more) that cater the the beginner. I've seen that Java: A beginner's guide, sixth edition is a good beginners guide and Core Java Volume 2 compliments it nicely, but I've also seen posts talking about how Java: A beginner's guide is not good for starting out. Should I go with those books, or should I just go with volume one and then move onto volume 2 of Core Java, or do you guys have any other recommendations?

my schoolf uses Starting out with Java for my programming class, and it's pretty good tbh

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

11 minutes ago, joshfrog said:

try this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sololearn.java&hl=en

i have being using one of the others from then and it seems to be good gets you right in to it while learning.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'd much rather use a book though. Plus I do not have an android phone atm.

29 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

my schoolf uses Starting out with Java for my programming class, and it's pretty good tbh

I'll check that out, thank you very much.

Check out Must-reads for Java Developers: From Beginner to Professional. Couple notes

• Head First Java is a little dated now, covering Java 5. Which means it doesn't have the new language features from Java 6, 7 and 8 which was the latest release. That isn't stopping people from continuing to recommend it though (ex 1, 2). They just recommend using other material to cover the newer features.
  • Java, A beginners Guide has been updated to a 6th edition and does include the new features.

18 hours ago, Eclipse_ said:

I've seen that Java: A beginner's guide, sixth edition is a good beginners guide ... but I've also seen posts talking about how Java: A beginner's guide is not good for starting out.

Just keep in mind that you're going to find people for and against any book, even good ones. If the large majority of reviews are positive, it's probably worth considering.

Also, remember that no book can cover everything and even good books will leave stuff out or can have weak areas. Learn from multiple sources and always be open to exploring new ways to do things.

Oracle's Java, A Beginners Guide is a great beginner book, I highly recommend it. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

On 1/22/2017 at 2:19 PM, Eclipse_ said:

Hi, so I am beginning to dive into Java. I'm looking for a book or 2 (or more) that cater the the beginner. I've seen that Java: A beginner's guide, sixth edition is a good beginners guide and Core Java Volume 2 compliments it nicely, but I've also seen posts talking about how Java: A beginner's guide is not good for starting out. Should I go with those books, or should I just go with volume one and then move onto volume 2 of Core Java, or do you guys have any other recommendations?

Look for "Head First"

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink