GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Noooo.

Ram is also much faster

FTFY

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Noooo.

Ram is also much slower

RAM is about 10-20x faster than an SSD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

RAM is much, much faster. DDR4 can have read speeds of up to 28GB/sec and the data lanes are wired directed to the CPU. On the other hand, SSDs can only manage around 4GB/sec, max..

And the latency with SSDs is far greater iirc.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Ever wonder why RAM Disk exists?

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

No idea where you got the "SSD's are faster than RAM" idea from.

RAM is several times faster any even the fastestt NVMe SSD.

OptaneComparison.png

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Noooo.

Ram is also much slower

Wut

Haven't you heard of a ram disk? They make SSDs look slow by contrast, just kinda not practical. 

Assuming typo lol

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

Wut

Haven't you heard of a ram disk? They make SSDs look slow by contrast, just kinda not practical. 

Assuming typo lol

typo oops

Even if we lived on a planet on which SSDs were faster than RAM they would still be undesirable on account of their non-volatility. Having the RAM be automatically wiped when power is removed is desirable.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

typo oops

:P hence why I didn't reply... I kinda had a feeling :D 

2 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Even if we lived on a planet on which SSDs were faster than RAM they would still be undesirable on account of their non-volatility. Having the RAM be automatically wiped when power is removed is desirable.

could you explain why? i can think of a few reasons that involve privacy but maybe im missing some fundamental functionality in this equation?

Typical PCIe 4x SSD = about 2 GB/s sustained transfer

Dual channel 2133 DDR4 (kinda basic configuration for Skylake or newer) = 34GB/s. Then you can buy faster ram. It can use it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, tlink said:

could you explain why? i can think of a few reasons that involve privacy but maybe im missing some fundamental functionality in this equation?

Imagine having some personal data in the RAM that'd be easily accessed upon startup...

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I could see RAM and cache being consolidated, but secondary storage just has such a different purpose that it doesn't really make sense. It's akin to saying haul trucks can replace Nascars.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Imagine having some personal data in the RAM that'd be easily accessed upon startup...

Someone flat-out just stealing the RAM, and nothing but the RAM.

But when it comes to RAM vs SSD. Here's what you can expect from a RAMdisk.

kXKmnnv.png

2 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Someone flat-out just stealing the RAM, and nothing but the RAM.

But when it comes to RAM vs SSD. Here's what you can expect from a RAMdisk.

kXKmnnv.png

Still slower than the actual transfer rates of most RAM nowadays :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Still slower than the actual transfer rates of most RAM nowadays :P

I suspect that's due to a combination of the extra overhead of writing to a filesystem (be it in RAM or not) vs pure RAM writes, as well as the protocol not being optimized for that kind of memory, just as SSDs use different algorithms than HDDs.

SSD tech isnt up to it, RAM is vastly surperior in terms of speeds. in the future then maybe but i doubt that it will be a thing within 4 years

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

29 minutes ago, v0nn_toaster said:

SSDs are fast. we all know that.

So cant the CPU just pull the data it needs directly from the SSD

Reducing the bottleneck putting the data on RAM

How it would work

CPU pulls data off SSD

puts in a special folder for later use

Pulls from the folder when needed

Pros

Uses the speed of the SSD

Cheaper

Faster?

Cons

Writes to the SSD ALOT
bottleneck from SATA

What do you think

you say "faster" (than ram) and then say "bottleneck from SATA." WHAT? SSD's are orders of magnitudes slower the RAM. Maybe when xpoint comes out definitely not at the moment