So is this a dead card?

Quixotic

Hey LTT, I do believe I have a dead GPU on my hands.

I started up Overwatch earlier and while loading into a match my system froze and a checkerboard of blue and red squares appeared all over my monitors. See pic.

Upon restarting, my 1070 wasn't recognizing my DisplayPort monitor, but the DVI still worked. I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers and it was detected again, so I figured maybe I was out of the woods. Tried Overwatch again, same thing happens.

This time, I can't even get the drivers to install properly and my one working monitor is stuck at 800x600.

Give it to me straight, LTT. Is it a goner? 

Side note, I did have the card over clocked, but it never gave me issues in the past. No artifacts, no hang ups, nothing. This is pretty out of the blue.

IMG_20170121_054905.jpg

Ryzen 9 3900x Corsair H150i ASUS Prime X570 64GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 Gigabyte 2070 Super

2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB WD Caviar Green 120GB Samsung 840 PRO 1.5TB Caviar Green 2TB Seagate Firecuda 512GB TEAM

2 minutes ago, Quixotic said:

-snip-

Yep, it looks to be a goner to me. Something's wrong with the VRAM I'm guessing.

Any hopes of being able to RMA it?

32 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yep, it looks to be a goner to me. Something's wrong with the VRAM I'm guessing.

Any hopes of being able to RMA it?

Yeah, hopefully. This would be my second time ever doing a RMA, heh. Hopefully MSI is good with the process.

Ryzen 9 3900x Corsair H150i ASUS Prime X570 64GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 Gigabyte 2070 Super

2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB WD Caviar Green 120GB Samsung 840 PRO 1.5TB Caviar Green 2TB Seagate Firecuda 512GB TEAM

Yup, it's boned. This type of artifacting is usually a sign one of the memory chips gave up the ghost. If it was the GPU core, it would've artifacted and then crashed.

RMA it, get a new one.

Ye ole' train

5 minutes ago, faziten said:

which 1070 is it?. Just curious. 

right here on his profile. 

c9bde2ee0a230524cda06dbfb5e21ca3.png 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III