A future where your phone looks just like a PC? Microsoft showing off Composable Shell for Windows 10

AlTech

So, if you look at the state of Windows 10 on all the devices it is on (Xbox One, Mobile, PC, HoloLens, IoT and SurfaceHub) there's a lot of maintenance in updating all these editions of Windows 10.

Well what if there was fewer editions of Windows 10? What if they were all ONE OS with scalable shells?

Microsoft is showing off just that with their new "Composable Shells". This will allow a single UI shell to be used across Xbox, PC, Tablets and Mobile.

Your next phone could potentially be running desktop Windows 10 with a cool and usable shell :D!

There are some massive implications of this....... Some of which I dread and fear. One such implication is that current Windows 10 Mobile devices may be dropped from support and that only new phones will be able to run this composable shell with full desktop Windows 10. It's some scary stuff right here.  Windows 10 Desktop could essentially allow you to show the Xbox UI if you wanted. And Windows 10 Mobile (if they continue to support it) could be expanded into desktop view.

Image courtesy of Windows Central.

untitled.png

According to my sources, Microsoft is building an "adaptive shell" into Windows 10 that'll work across PCs and tablets, phones, HoloLens, and even Xbox. As it currently stands, the Windows Shell isn't a true universal element of Windows, unlike the OneCore subsystem and Universal Windows Apps. PCs and tablets share the same shell thanks to Continuum, but Mobile, HoloLens and Xbox have their own individual shells that are updated and maintained separately.

Over the next few Windows 10 releases however, Microsoft will be bringing each of these device categories under one Windows Shell, making for a true universal Windows 10 experience no matter what device you're using. Internally referred to as "Composable Shell" or "CSHELL", this new Windows Shell will be able to scale in real-time between all types of devices, similarly to how Continuum currently works between desktop mode and tablet mode, only this time it'll scale across Xbox and Mobile as well.

For our more techy readers, the Composable Shell is essentially a shell modularized into sub-components. The system can transition between each component if it is required, making for a much more flexible experience on devices like 2-in-1's or something that has multiple form-factors.

We're told that the Composable Shell will begin showing up over the next few major Windows 10 updates, for Mobile, then Desktop, and eventually Xbox too. In fact, Microsoft has already given us a glimpse of this Composable Shell in a demo a few months back detailing improvements upcoming to Continuum on Windows 10 Mobile. In the demo, Microsoft showed off a Continuum environment on phone that was extremely similar to the environment we know and love on actual Windows 10 PCs today. This is essentially the Composable Shell in its infancy.

So yeah. Interesting idea and yet it kind of could spell the death of existing windows phones and Xbox as we know it today.

@GoodBytes @SansVarnic @revsilverspine

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-windows-10-composable-shell?utm_medium=slider&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=wp

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

One such implication is that current Windows 10 Mobile devices may be dropped from support and that only new phones will be able to run this composable shell with full desktop Windows 10. It's some scary stuff right here.

Soooo, Windows Phone 7 > Windows Phone 8 all over again.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

Not necessarily. Nobody has said anything. yet

Existing Windows 10 Phones could continue to exist alongside a new form factor of Devices which are Phones and yet also PCs.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Unfortunately, and I am saying this as a Windows phone user myself (HP elite X3), Windows phones aren't going much of anywhere, and I fear that most people are giving up on them. They have recently dropped below 1% of the market. It's getting bad for Windows on Mobile. The only thing saving it is Microsoft's vision for a universal, cross-platform experience.

3 minutes ago, Daring said:

Also, I failed to mention something. For now this is only the UI.

They plan on sharing the UI and scaling across all devices. The OS builds themselves aren't going to be quite the same though.....

4 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

Unfortunately, and I am saying this as a Windows phone user myself (HP elite X3), Windows phones aren't going much of anywhere,

Yeah. I showed off my Lumia 650 to my engineering teacher who's somewhat tech savvy. I showed it to him and he was like "Why the hell are people not buying these?".

The majority of people don't know that Windows on Phones exists. Microsoft isn't helping fix that problem.

and I fear that most people are giving up on them.

Yeah. A lot of people are. Only the loyalists are the ones really left on it.

They have recently dropped below 1% of the market. It's getting bad for Windows on Mobile.

Yeah it is. It was bad before but now it's just awful.

The only thing saving it is Microsoft's vision for a universal, cross-platform experience.

Honestly, if it doesn't work out for them then Windows Phones will always stay where they are at.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yeah. I showed off my Lumia 650 to my engineering teacher who's somewhat tech savvy. I showed it to him and he was like "Why the hell are people not buying these?".

The majority of people don't know that Windows on Phones exists. Microsoft isn't helping fix that problem.

Yeah. A lot of people are. Only the loyalists are the ones really left on it.

Yeah it is. It was bad before but now it's just awful.

Honestly, if it doesn't work out for them then Windows Phones will always stay where they are at.

Unfortunately, I am debating, for my next phone, switching back to android. It's just convenient when working with applications for class that are relevant. But I think that a general consensus amongst most tech-savvy people is that Apple sucks, and that is good enough for me. But alas, I would hate to see the Windows phone go down the toilet before Project Neon releases.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Not necessarily. Nobody has said anything.

Existing Windows 10 Phones could continue to exist alongside a new form factor of Devices which are Phones and yet also PCs.

tbh I don't think this'll set the mobile world on fire.

• Microsoft touted Windows Phone's productivity features; turns out nobody cares unless you're a business user, and even then they'd prefer a real keyboard
  • Integrated Skype in the SMS app! ...which later got removed because it didn't work right
  • Integrated Facebook and Twitter! ...which later got removed in favor of apps that are often months behind their iOS and Android counterparts in terms of updates
  • A UI and kernel similar to that of desktop Windows! ...which makes people think they're putting a desktop OS on a phone, rather than a dedicated mobile OS.
  • The Lumia 1020, Icon and 1520 have the best smartphone cameras! ...which are surpassed in almost every regard by the 12.3MP camera on my Pixel; turns out there's a lot more than a fancy lens and massive megapixel counts to taking a good photo.
  • It's customizable! ...but that customization has been way surpassed by Android. I mean you can play Tetris with the tiles and set a wallpaper but that's about it really.
  • Continuum! ...which is really limited in comparison to even a Compute Stick, which runs full Windows. No reason to use Continuum on your Windows Phone when you can get an Intel Compute Stick and use all your applications instead of some.

1 minute ago, Undertaker225 said:

Unfortunately, I am debating, for my next phone, switching back to android. It's just convenient when working with applications for class that are relevant. But I think that a general consensus amongst most tech-savvy people is that Apple sucks, and that is good enough for me. But alas, I would hate to see the Windows phone go down the toilet before Project Neon releases.

I'd suggest switching back to Android, Windows Phone has no future. At this point not even the fabled Surface Phone, if that ever exists (seriously, it was first mentioned in 2012, 5 years ago) can save it. tbh the idea that a single device with a brand that hasn't entirely caught on with consumers yet can "save" an entire operating system is a pretty hilarious pipe dream tho.

2 minutes ago, Daring said:

tbh I don't think this'll set the mobile world on fire.

• Microsoft touted Windows Phone's productivity features; turns out nobody cares unless you're a business user, and even then they'd prefer a real keyboard
  • Integrated Skype in the SMS app! ...which later got removed because it didn't work right
  • Integrated Facebook and Twitter! ...which later got removed in favor of apps that are often months behind their iOS and Android counterparts in terms of updates
  • A UI and kernel similar to that of desktop Windows! ...which makes people think they're putting a desktop OS on a phone, rather than a dedicated mobile OS.
  • The Lumia 1020, Icon and 1520 have the best smartphone cameras! ...which are surpassed in almost every regard by the 12.3MP camera on my Pixel; turns out there's a lot more than a fancy lens and massive megapixel counts to taking a good photo.
  • It's customizable! ...but that customization has been way surpassed by Android. I mean you can play Tetris with the tiles and set a wallpaper but that's about it really.
  • Continuum! ...which is really limited in comparison to even a Compute Stick, which runs full Windows. No reason to use Continuum on your Windows Phone when you can get an Intel Compute Stick and use all your applications instead of some.

I'd suggest switching back to Android, Windows Phone has no future. At this point not even the fabled Surface Phone, if that ever exists (seriously, it was first mentioned in 2012, 5 years ago) can save it. tbh the idea that a single device with a brand that hasn't entirely caught on with consumers yet can "save" an entire operating system is a pretty hilarious pipe dream tho.

I have a few corrections, I agree with you for the most part, but your facts should be unbiased at least. As time goes on, this is always bound to happen. Time goes on and newer better tech is created. It's the name of the game. HP does have a 32bit emulator on their phones, I can attest to that. Not only that but Microsoft is developing a full emulation for all compatible hardware: Project Cobalt (or something of the likes). Low app support is because of low user support, not vice versa.

2 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

I have a few corrections, I agree with you for the most part, but your facts should be unbiased at least. As time goes on, this is always bound to happen. Time goes on and newer better tech is created. It's the name of the game. HP does have a 32bit emulator on their phones, I can attest to that. Not only that but Microsoft is developing a full emulation for all compatible hardware: Project Cobalt (or something of the likes). Low app support is because of low user support, not vice versa.

My first two smartphones were Windows Phones. The Lumia Icon in particular was a beautiful piece of hardware... but I felt like it was being held back by the software. That, and the lack of app support prompted me to switch to Android.

Only on Windows Phone can you buy a $800 phone and get the same experience as a $50 phone 9_9

Microsoft is bad at advertising in case you didn't notice.

They chose to do the reverse and allow Skype users to send SMS.

They are worlds better than the previous versions.

And? Windows Phone fans don't care too much. I don't care too much. If I wanted to customize my phone and make it run at 1.44509Ghz then I would have used something else..

At this point not even the fabled Surface Phone, if that ever exists (seriously, it was first mentioned in 2012, 5 years ago) can save it. tbh the idea that a single device with a brand that hasn't entirely caught on with consumers yet can "save" an entire operating system is a pretty hilarious pipe dream tho.

The Surface Phone was a dream, it still is a dream. One day it will turn into a reality with Windows on ARM. Until then, stop misleading people.

Edited by AluminiumTech
Cleaned up my language.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:21 PM, Daring said:

My first two smartphones were Windows Phones. The Lumia Icon in particular was a beautiful piece of hardware... but I felt like it was being held back by the software. That, and the lack of app support prompted me to switch to Android.

So you didn't care about the OS? Then what was the point in buying a Windows Phone in the first place?

Only on Windows Phone can you buy a $800 phone and get the same experience as a $50 phone 9_9

an $800 is an $800 phone. You paid for damn good hardware and you got an OS which wasn't fully mature.

Edited by AluminiumTech
Cleaned up my language.

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Fine. Go ahead. I can see that you're not interested in the OS anyways.

Join those sheep who think that apps are everything. I'll be waiting for a Snapdragon 835 powered Windows 10 phone to show up.

Then support it! By using Windows Phones you are supporting the platform. Using an Android would mean you gave up and would mean you don't care.

Microsoft is bad at advertising in case you didn't notice.

They chose to do the reverse and allow Skype users to send SMS.

They are worlds better than the previous versions.

At this point I think you should advertise the fact that you are a hater and are going out of your way to make sure Windows Phones will die completely.

The Kernel is pretty damn similar. The OS is pretty damn similar, heck with Windows on ARM the OS will be identical.

And? I'm sorry but I don't really care. So long as I can grab a decent photo then i'm fine.

We know that. The Lumia 1020 came out in 2012/2013. Get yourself together. Who are you trying to kid here?

And? Windows Phone fans don't care too much. I don't care too much. If I wanted to customize my phone and make it run at 1.44509Ghz then I would have used something else..

You're literally trolling at this point. Continuum is completely different to a compute stick. If I need to then i'll add you to my ignore list. Stop trolling.

Continuum is for use on the go so you own 1 device and not 3-4. A compute stick is a cheap computer with terrible specs which has a HDMI port.

With the way you're being a hardcore shill? Yes, no doubt. Windows Phones would have a future if Google fanboys weren't trying to destroy it and defame it.

The Surface Phone was a dream, it still is a dream. One day it will turn into a reality with Windows on ARM. Until then, stop misleading people.

You're accusing this guy as a Windows Phone hater, while you have to be one of the biggest MS fanboys on this forum. You are presented with facts and you still try to defend MS hopelessly. Just get over it, Windows Phone is D E A D. No app support and no user base + proprietary software = death. Also, apps ARE everything. Just find me a person that would like to use a PC which can only run the few applications it came with. What the fuck is up with that argument? Must be the single most stupid thing I have ever heard coming from a fanboy. To be honest, Continuum actually seems quite interesting and with Microsoft's efforts to emulate x86 on arm I think it might actually be quite decent. But that still won't make me use an inferior PHONE. I can easily just buy a decent android phone and a decent laptop and have the best of both worlds, not a device which is a jack of all trades, but a master of none. Also 

Windows Phones would have a future if Google fanboys weren't trying to destroy it and defame it.

Okay from this comment I would bet money you are absolutely delusional. This is not a fucking war! If one platform meets ones needs better than another they choose that. No I won't accept an inferior experience just because it is from MS (like you are). If they actually had a competitive product then yes, but they don't and they never really had one. They don't have a future only because they are inferior in every single way than the Android/iOS platforms, not because the evil people that actually chose a device wisely did not settle for something less.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

, while you have to be one of the biggest MS fanboys on this forum.

I am a fan of some of their products.

Windows Phone is D E A D. No app support and no user base + proprietary software = death. Also, apps ARE everything.

The vast majority of people would have all the apps they use on Windows Phones. A small minority (and by small I mean around 7-10%) account for over 50% of app downloads and usage.

Because the majority of these 7-10% use Android or IOS, you are inclined to believe that 90% of people would not be happy with Windows 10 Mobile?

Just find me a person that would like to use a PC which can only run the few applications it came with.

Windows 10 Mobile run on phones (I know it's hard to imagine /sarcasm). It is not a PC (not yet).

You are able to download any app on the Windows Store plus any app which anybody makes which is exported as a .appx file. There are app stores within the app store.

I know that hating Windows Phone is popular and almost "cool" but please don't

What the fuck is up with that argument?

If you want me to know what you're talking about then quote the section which it applies to, kind of like how I am doing right now.

But that still won't make me use an inferior PHONE.

Microsoft gave up on phones.

What you put in your pocket should not be called a Phone. It has outlasted it's name as a phone.

It's a PC in your pocket.

Please tell me how a Windows Phone might be inferior to another platform such as IOS, Android or Blackberry.

I can easily just buy a decent android phone and a decent laptop and have the best of both worlds, not a device which is a jack of all trades, but a master of none.

This isn't meant to be a full replacement for a laptop yet. The world is evolving and you (like Google and Apple) are failing to evolve with it.

Okay from this comment I would bet money you are absolutely delusional

I am not delusional. I want Windows on Phones to succeed. I would hate to use IOS or Android as my daily driver.

This is not a fucking war! If one platform meets ones needs better than another they choose that.

Not everyone is like you. Some people pick a phone OS because they like it.

No I won't accept an inferior experience just because it is from MS (like you are)

I am not.

I have a genuine dislike for Android. IOS feels ass backwards and if I tried to do something on it then it feels like I'm fighting myself rather than trying to do something useful.

. If they actually had a competitive product then yes, but they don't and they never really had one.

they do have a competitive product. They are not marketing it nearly as well as they should be. The majority of consumes are not aware of it's existence.

Edited by AluminiumTech
Cleaned up my language.

5 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

That is absolutely awesome!

Thank you. For being that 1 person who has showed their appreciation in a peaceful and calm manner :).

26 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It is a known fact. He goes out of this way to show how much of an Android shill he is.

He *Hates* Windows Phone and what they stand for.

I just said it is hypocritical to say that as a fanboy yourself ;) 

27 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I am a fan of some of their products. Deal with it.

A fan of a company's products does not ignore every logical argument against their products.

27 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Why don't you get over yourself? You're trying so hard that the only logical conclusion I can draw is that you have a vendetta against Microsoft.

No, but you can't seem to understand that as a consumer I will not settle for something inferior no matter the company. If MS offered a better solution then I would gladly pick theirs.

28 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If you like an OS then fucking use it! If you care more about apps then the OS itself, then you don't care about the OS.

The vast majority of people would have all the apps they use on Windows Phones. A small minority (and by small I mean around 7-10%) account for over 50% of app downloads and usage.

Because the majority of these 7-10% use Android or IOS, you are inclined to believe that 90% of people would not be happy with Windows 10 Mobile?

You're rather ignorant. And close minded.

Nice name calling there! You are the only one that is close minded and stuck to an inferior ecosystem. Even these apps that are on Windows phone are many versions behind and they are not up to par with their android/iOS counterparts. Please do not make a fool out of yourself, I have used a Windows phone -_-.

31 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Microsoft gave up on phones.

What you put in your pocket should not be called a Phone. It has outlasted it's name as a phone.

It's a PC in your pocket.

Please tell me how a Windows Phone might be inferior to another platform such as IOS, Android or Blackberry.

Okay let's see. Inferior ecosystem, very very few apps and even fewer well-made ones, proprietary software, ugly UI (my personal opinion), very few phones to select from and those are just from the top of my head because I have already spent most of my brain fuel studying.

35 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Your comment is stupid.  Windows 10 Mobile run on phones (I know it's hard to imagine /sarcasm). It is not a PC (not yet).

You are able to download any app on the Windows Store plus any app which anybody makes which is exported as a .appx file. There are app stores within the app store. You are so blindingly hating Windows Phones that you don't even do research on them.

I know that hating Windows Phone is popular and almost "cool" but get over yourself.
 Even if a fraction of the comments you made are true (which I'm not saying they are), competition is good for everybody.

I made a comparison to another computing device. Modern smartphones have so much in common with PCs. If you cannot understand a comparison as simple as this, then I am sorry. Should I send MS an email to do that for you? COMPETITION is good for everybody. This is not competition, it is a half-assed product and if you can't see this you are absolutely out of your mind.

37 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm sorry. I don't have 100/100 vision. I can't see a quote you were referring to within my post.

/sarcasm

If you want me to know what you're talking about then quote the section which it applies to, kind of like how I am doing right now.

The same thing I was talking about in the previous sentence. It's called context.

38 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

And you're totally not a fanboy right?

God forbid, even biased towards an OS.

/sarcasm.

Please tell me which OS I am biased towards? I own a PC running Windows 10 with many linux distros on different hard drives, a MacBook Air, an android phone and tablet, and an iPad. Now please go ahead and tell me which company I support so much that I can't even fault for anything.

40 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Then what are you complaining about? You're complaining and making it seem like what they are doing is bad.

Stop being a hypocrite and pick a side. You can't have "I hate this company's product, but I hope a feature of their product gets better".

PICK A FUCKING SIDE? Let's go guys total fucking nerd war! No I will not "pick a side" like a damn 5 year-old boy. I will choose the product that meets my needs the best. I don't care if it is from MS, Apple, Open-source or sponsored by fucking ISIS. Can I not hope that what I actually like about their OS succeeds and I can use it in the future maybe in other devices? Wow you are ignorant  too -_- 

42 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I am not delusional. I want Windows on Phones to succeed. I would hate to use IOS or Android as my daily driver.

If Windows Phones truly died and I could not use one ever, then I would not use a smartphone. It's that simple.

Just shows how close minded you are. I would easily use an iOS device if Android did not exist. But I prefer android because guess what? It is open source and cannot just die one day. I will be able to always use it unlike Windows.

44 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not everyone is like you. Some people pick a phone OS because they like it. Now stop being ignorant and pretend that not everybody is a sheep like you.

I am a sheep? PLEASE TELL ME HOW PICKING THE PRODUCT THAT MEETS MY NEEDS THE BEST MAKES ME A SHEEP! I will wait.

45 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I am not.

I have a genuine dislike for Android. IOS feels ass backwards and if I tried to do something on it then it feels like I'm fighting myself rather than trying to do something useful.

Good for you then. I can't imagine how using a Windows Phone makes you productive in any way but if it does then great!

46 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

they do have a competitive product. They are not marketing it nearly as well as they should be. The majority of consumes are not aware of it's existence.

I have talked to countless people about phones. They all know about it, even the ones that have little to no idea about tech. They just do not buy Windows phones because there are so few of them. With android they are spoiled for choice and with Apple they have a few options but you really can't go wrong with any one of them.

48 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Stop. Please my bullshit-o-meter is reading off the scales. I can't take much more stupidity from people.

Please go ahead and explain why I am stupid and I would gladly accept any logical argument from you and say that I was ignorant and wrong on that matter. The more you are just calling me names without any facts the more it makes me think you have some kind of mental disability to be honest and I kinda feel bad for debating with you :( 

13 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

So, if you look at the state of Windows 10 on all the devices it is on (Xbox One, Mobile, PC, HoloLens, IoT and SurfaceHub) there's a lot of maintenance in updating all these editions of Windows 10.

Well what if there was fewer editions of Windows 10? What if they were all ONE OS with scalable shells?

Microsoft is showing off just that with their new "Composable Shells". This will allow a single UI shell to be used across Xbox, PC, Tablets and Mobile.

Your next phone could potentially be running desktop Windows 10 with a cool and usable shell :D!

There are some massive implications of this....... Some of which I dread and fear. One such implication is that current Windows 10 Mobile devices may be dropped from support and that only new phones will be able to run this composable shell with full desktop Windows 10. It's some scary stuff right here.  Windows 10 Desktop could essentially allow you to show the Xbox UI if you wanted. And Windows 10 Mobile (if they continue to support it) could be expanded into desktop view.

So yeah. Interesting idea and yet it kind of could spell the death of existing windows phones and Xbox as we know it today.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-windows-10-composable-shell?utm_medium=slider&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=wp

Microsoft has been planning this for quite some time, Windows Continuum. They have also been moving their application code to a common core branch rather than maintaining multiple different ones. A good example of this is Skype for Business, this used to have a core branch for Desktop, Mac OS and Mobile which lead to ever growing feature gaps and increased support costs (unique bugs on each platform). Now Skype for Business versions all use the same core branch which is based off the mobile one.

I don't know if that information about Skype for Business is publicly known or not, that's direct from the development team writing the application and at least to me is very old news. Can't hurt to say it?

Microsoft Office will also head down this same path as well as other applications.

@AluminiumTech @FakezZ

Argh enough with the giant text walls and quotes, making my eyes bleed and extremely hard to read :dry:.

On topic I am also a Windows Phone user, Lumia 635. Yes the app library sucks but I don't care or want any on mine. Windows Phone integrates seamlessly and quickly with my Exchange/O365 account, Skype for Business and can do the basic phone functions such as SMS and phone calls. It can also take terrible photos ;).

I have nothing else I want to do with my phone, my work phone is an iPhone and I don't even use it for anything other than a 4G hotspot. If i want to do something useful I'll get my laptop out. Large screen phones are awful as phones and anything that is a practical size has a screen that is too small for anything other than quick google search and GPS.

Windows Continuum, or equivalent, on a phone that can run native Windows applications and has decent hardware specifications in a proper phone format is for me the perfect dream phone, no laptop required just portable screen with keyboard/mouse and a battery in it to dock the phone to.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

@AluminiumTech @FakezZ

Argh enough with the giant text walls and quotes, making my eyes bleed and extremely hard to read :dry:.

On topic I am also a Windows Phone user, Lumia 635. Yes the app library sucks but I don't care or want any on mine. Windows Phone integrates seamlessly and quickly with my Exchange/O365 account, Skype for Business and can do the basic phone functions such as SMS and phone calls. It can also take terrible photos ;).

I have nothing else I want to do with my phone, my work phone is an iPhone and I don't even use it for anything other than a 4G hotspot. If i want to do something useful I'll get my laptop out. Large screen phones are awful as phones and anything that is a practical size has a screen that is too small for anything other than quick google search and GPS.

Windows Continuum, or equivalent, on a phone that can run native Windows applications and has decent hardware specifications in a proper phone format is for me the perfect dream phone, no laptop required just portable screen with keyboard/mouse and a battery in it to dock the phone to.

Yup no problem with that argument. I don't see how an Android or iOS phone could not do the same (I am not familiar with Exchange or Office 365), but that is a very specific scenario. The average user that will want to browse the internet, check Facebook, Twitter and such would be better off just getting a budget Android phone and developers like me can actually target a much wider audience by building apps for Android. Aside from the very few people that benefit from Windows Phones, for the rest there just is no competition.

25 minutes ago, FakezZ said:

Yup no problem with that argument. I don't see how an Android or iOS phone could not do the same (I am not familiar with Exchange or Office 365), but that is a very specific scenario.

It's just email and web based storage, Google Apps/Gmail basically. Only difference is Exchange is an email server commonly used by businesses and to be fair to Android and iOS both of those connect up to it just as easily.

One of the best things about Windows Phone and O365 or a Microsoft account is any photo you take is automatically uploaded and all SMS messages and contacts are too. If I change phones and sign back in to my account on the new one everything comes back down and I can see the full SMS history etc, it's as if I never changed the phone. This is inbuilt and a core function, you can turn it off. Android sort of can do this with an app and iOS can too but funnily enough not as nicely.

Where Windows Phone falls down is usability. App switching is annoying, multiple browser tabs is a pain to use, the do everything back button is stupid, the search button is not app contextual and takes you to Bing search. Likely other annoying stuff I have left off too.

Unless either Apple or Google make it so, that's not the future MS, there's no way you'll gain that much market share you'll just give up the mobile attempts again eventually.

-------

Current Rig

-------

36 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Great idea, terrible execution. It will be a disaster. A disaster like no other.

That's Windows Phone in a nutshell.