Monitor Help.

steve-kon

I live in India so it sucks if you're gonna build a PC.There aren't many options for me. And I'm really new to this whole PC build

I have asked this before and got a few suggestions but I am really confused. So, the main purpose for my build is for 3D modelling stuff and photoshop(maybe), but also for gaming. So, when I decided on a monitor based on suggestions in my previous post I thought of getting a 1080p monitor, but then again it wouldn't be fair for my GTX 1070 so I thought of getting a 2K(2560x1440) monitor. And a 2K with 144hz are hard to get unless you don't mind spending a lot of money.

My question is(IDK what I want to ask) I am looking for a monitor(2K would be good) on a budget of 30,000 INR. I don't need G-Sync. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K, Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 2 x 8GB GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X, Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5

Storage: WD Blue 1TB, Samsund 850 EVO 250 GB, PSU: Corsair RM 750X, Display(s): BenQ BL2710PT: Cooling: Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power

Mouse: Gamdias DEMETER II- 3200DPI Gaming Mouse, Operating System: Windows 8.1

a 1080p 144hz monitor is plenty for a gtx 1070 (depending on the game you may not be able to even get that much if you're using reasonable amounts of AA). honestly a 1080p 60hz monitor is fine for a 1070 as well. A little bit of performance headroom isn't a bad thing. 144hz is only particularly useful if you're into highly competitive and time sensitive gaming (things like shooters, Mobas, and the like; where literally every millisecond counts). There is a visual benefit that some people like as well (increased smoothness at higher refresh rates), but its not the sort of thing that you need to feel like you're missing out on. You literally don't know what you're missing if you've never seen a hiogh refresh rate display before.

Have you ever considered an ultrawide? a 3440x1440 @ 60hz (often overclockable to 75hz) might be ideal for you. great gaming experience for supported games (which more and more are doing), high resolution means crisp image and more screen real estate, and if you get a curved model it means more immersion in games and movie watching scenarios.

Based on your needs, if you're not interested in an ultrawide, I would recommend a higher resolution with a lower refresh rate (assuming you lack the funds to just buy something that has both). I would recommend an IPS panel, with a 4-5ms response time. There are many monitors that would fit this description, and i don't know what is available to you in India... so just follow this recommendation and you should be fine =)

2 hours ago, Zyndo said:

a 1080p 144hz monitor is plenty for a gtx 1070 (depending on the game you may not be able to even get that much if you're using reasonable amounts of AA). honestly a 1080p 60hz monitor is fine for a 1070 as well. A little bit of performance headroom isn't a bad thing. 144hz is only particularly useful if you're into highly competitive and time sensitive gaming (things like shooters, Mobas, and the like; where literally every millisecond counts). There is a visual benefit that some people like as well (increased smoothness at higher refresh rates), but its not the sort of thing that you need to feel like you're missing out on. You literally don't know what you're missing if you've never seen a hiogh refresh rate display before.

Have you ever considered an ultrawide? a 3440x1440 @ 60hz (often overclockable to 75hz) might be ideal for you. great gaming experience for supported games (which more and more are doing), high resolution means crisp image and more screen real estate, and if you get a curved model it means more immersion in games and movie watching scenarios.

Based on your needs, if you're not interested in an ultrawide, I would recommend a higher resolution with a lower refresh rate (assuming you lack the funds to just buy something that has both). I would recommend an IPS panel, with a 4-5ms response time. There are many monitors that would fit this description, and i don't know what is available to you in India... so just follow this recommendation and you should be fine =)

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00QS0AKVK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3JTTOP05MYI7D&coliid=I30D8TQXKBFPB9&psc=1

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00UAMYTR8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3JTTOP05MYI7D&coliid=I3MZLS4HPUUOTR

These are the ones I could find. I didn't knew choosing a monitor would be this hard.

The Benq monitor I chose specifically because it seems to be configured for 3D designers.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K, Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 2 x 8GB GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X, Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5

Storage: WD Blue 1TB, Samsund 850 EVO 250 GB, PSU: Corsair RM 750X, Display(s): BenQ BL2710PT: Cooling: Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power

6 hours ago, steve-kon said:

Snip

Yes, of those two monitors, the BenQ seems to be equal to the Acer or better in almost every way. I might recommend a physically larger monitor of similar specs if you could afford one (a 24" isn't all that big and may seem small unless you are used to them). Some people don't mind all that much (I myself have a 21.5" and its fine for me) but others hate small panels. so that is something to keep in mind. 27" seems to be the desired size for most people nowadays, but if you aren't one of those people then don't worry about it.

And yes, choosing a monitor can be hard at times. there are so many stats and specs to look at, some of which mean very little and others which are absolutely crucial to your experience. But that BenQ seems like a solid choice assuming you aren't bothered by a 24" panel.

40 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Yes, of those two monitors, the BenQ seems to be equal to the Acer or better in almost every way. I might recommend a physically larger monitor of similar specs if you could afford one (a 24" isn't all that big and may seem small unless you are used to them). Some people don't mind all that much (I myself have a 21.5" and its fine for me) but others hate small panels. so that is something to keep in mind. 27" seems to be the desired size for most people nowadays, but if you aren't one of those people then don't worry about it.

And yes, choosing a monitor can be hard at times. there are so many stats and specs to look at, some of which mean very little and others which are absolutely crucial to your experience. But that BenQ seems like a solid choice assuming you aren't bothered by a 24" panel.

The only 27" monitors I can find are the too expensive ones. As I said, in India you only have limited options.

1 minute ago, steve-kon said:

The only 27" monitors I can find are the too expensive ones. As I said, in India you only have limited options.

as i said, its up to you. if you can't afford a 27" then my recommendation is irrelevant. the BenQ looks like a fine monitor then.

If 24" are fine, check out the  Dell S2417DG 

Yes, it has G-Sync... But it is still one of the cheapest 1440p Monitors, that has 144 Hz (this one even has 165 Hz). 

Costs 430€ here in germany.

There is 1 single Monitor with 1440p and 144 Hz, that is slightly Cheaper. That is the  AOC Agon AG241QX , which costs 383€. 

This makes just a Difference of 50 bucks~. And having GSync is always better, than not having it if you ever want to try it.

Plus: GSync models also have "Ultra Low Motion Blur", that works in 120 Hz.

Sadly... They are both TN Panels.

If you go for IPS:

1.  Acer XF270HUAbmiidprzx

2.  ASUS MG279Q

Those are the cheapest. But keep in Mind, 1440p / 144 Hz Panels with IPS all come from AU Optronics, and have a bad quality control. You may be very unlucky with Backlightbleeding etc.

On 1/21/2017 at 11:50 PM, Zyndo said:

as i said, its up to you. if you can't afford a 27" then my recommendation is irrelevant. the BenQ looks like a fine monitor then.

Benq  BL2710PT 

http://www.amazon.in/BenQ-BL2710PT-27-inch-Monitor-Glossy/dp/B00D7IG5N8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485151432&sr=8-1&keywords=BL2710PT

Benq  GW2765HT

http://www.amazon.in/BenQ-GW2765HT-68-58-inch-Monitor/dp/B00M913DVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485151404&sr=8-1&keywords=GW2765HT

Which one of the above looks good? They look same to me.

1 hour ago, steve-kon said:

Which one of the above looks good? They look same to me.

Not going to do your homework for you. go to benQ's website and check out the featureset of each specific monitor and choose from there.

1 hour ago, Zyndo said:

Not going to do your homework for you. go to benQ's website and check out the featureset of each specific monitor and choose from there.

I checked the Benq website more times than I can think of. But as I said they look same. You can at least point out what to look for. Please.

Edit:  Benq  BL2710PT  is looking better from the two.

7 hours ago, steve-kon said:

Edit:  Benq  BL2710PT  is looking better from the two.

I would agree with that assessment. Although they're pretty close to one another so its not a big deal which one you get either way.

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

I would agree with that assessment. Although they're pretty close to one another so its not a big deal which one you get either way.

Thanks. Does the Benq  BL2710PT being an LCD has a difference from LED? I'm a noob at this so don't mind the repeated questions.

2 hours ago, steve-kon said:

Thanks. Does the Benq  BL2710PT being an LCD has a difference from LED? I'm a noob at this so don't mind the repeated questions.

Do your own research on the matter. Asking me to explain the difference to you takes no longer for you than it does to simply go find the information on your own. This is a very common question with very simple answers.

This video was found by going into youtube, typing "LED vs LCD". Literally a 15 second search from the time you open up your browser. there is a time and a place for forum assistance and asking for advice... but that time and place should not be when you're too lazy to go look up the information yourself.

Thanks you for your replies  and patience to explain things. I ordered the  Benq  BL2710PT. Hope it turns out to be good. Any monitor would be a great upgrade and look great, than what I'm used to anyway(an age old laptop).:D