Pausing FAH causes estimated points/PPD to drop?

Go to solution Solved by BleakMaker,
2 minutes ago, Firecheetah13 said:

So I recently built my computer, and I'm 13, so I'm pretty new to this stuff. I did my research for about 6 months before building my PC, so I have a good handle on things. I recently got folding at home due to a recommendation from a friend. I am at about 525k points, but I noticed something. Whenever I try to pause my work, the estimated points and PPD will decrease at a rate of about 8 points per second. Therefore, if I shut it off for the night, I lose 50k points on a project I was already working on. I have tried setting it to light instead of pausing it, but it causes the same issue, except only for GPU folding.

System Specs: i5 6500, RX 470 ARMOR OC (left at stock), CX550M, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2x4 Patriot Viper Elite Memory, MSI B150M Mobo

Is anyone else having this problem? I don't want to leave my computer running 24/7 for power/heat reasons. If there is a fix to this? 

This is normal the faster you send the finished work unit back the more points you get. (quick return bonus)

So I recently built my computer, and I'm 13, so I'm pretty new to this stuff. I did my research for about 6 months before building my PC, so I have a good handle on things. I recently got folding at home due to a recommendation from a friend. I am at about 525k points, but I noticed something. Whenever I try to pause my work, the estimated points and PPD will decrease at a rate of about 8 points per second. Therefore, if I shut it off for the night, I lose 50k points on a project I was already working on. I have tried setting it to light instead of pausing it, but it causes the same issue, except only for GPU folding.

System Specs: i5 6500, RX 470 ARMOR OC (left at stock), CX550M, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2x4 Patriot Viper Elite Memory, MSI B150M Mobo

Is anyone else having this problem? I don't want to leave my computer running 24/7 for power/heat reasons. If there is a fix to this? 

This is normal the faster you send the finished work unit back the more points you get. (quick return bonus)

Keyword here is 'estimated'. The way F@H works is by giving your components a WU (work unit), then the component finishes the WU and sends it back, then you receive the points. Pausing it doesn't affect the points you receive (unless you pause for an extended duration of time), and the estimated PPD count goes down because the computer is not longer doing WUs when paused and therefore cannot earn any points. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Also light mode disables gpu folding when not idle

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Keyword here is 'estimated'. The way F@H works is by giving your components a WU (work unit), then the component finishes the WU and sends it back, then you receive the points. Pausing it doesn't affect the points you receive (unless you pause for an extended duration of time), and the estimated PPD count goes down because the computer is not longer doing WUs when paused and therefore cannot earn any points. 

pausing does affect your points The quick return bonus goes down!

32 minutes ago, Mark17 said:

Also light mode disables gpu folding when not idle

Yeah sorry I meant that the only the CPU drops in estimated points

29 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Yeah, I know, but it's not such a drastic change compared to pausing for a day or a few.

I beg to differ. The GPU projects I get usually estimate 80k points. If I sleep for 8 hours when it is paused, I lose about 50k points, or 5/8 of the entire value.

9 hours ago, Firecheetah13 said:

I beg to differ. The GPU projects I get usually estimate 80k points. If I sleep for 8 hours when it is paused, I lose about 50k points, or 5/8 of the entire value.

A: Why pause it when you sleep?

B: Are you reading the estimated PPD value?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

A: Why pause it when you sleep?

B: Are you reading the estimated PPD value?

A. I pause it when I sleep due to the fact that I have minimal AC in my room + power costs.

B. I am reading both the estimated value for the day and the project.

1 minute ago, Firecheetah13 said:

A. I pause it when I sleep due to the fact that I have minimal AC in my room + power costs.

The estimated value drops because you're doing less work and therefore generating less points. I'm not sure about the project values themselves though..

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

The estimated value drops because you're doing less work and therefore generating less points. I'm not sure about the project values themselves though..

I genuinely do get less points if I pause it, by the estimated amount of course. Remember, living with my parents, I don't want to shoot up the electric bill :P

On 1/21/2017 at 8:01 AM, Firecheetah13 said:

I understand the ac issue. room would be 20f higher then the rest of the house. 
no longer an issue for me nor power so rig runs 24/7 unless i game.