How good is the Be Quiet Dark Rock 3

MekaStrix

Hi,

I have been looking at the Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 for a while I like the look of it but haven't been able to find much on thermal performance of it, I also like the Kraken x62 but it's quite expensive and I wonder if it will perform much better than the dark rock 3

not by loads but it will outpreform it, it will also probably be more noicy then the DarkRock 3. i would get an NH-D14(or D15 if they fit your case) or the DarkRock 3 here

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Liquid cooling is all about how much energy you can dump into the water before you have to start actively cooling like a car radiator. this keeps noise down while CPU is under tremendous load. makes for a more peaceful computing experience than to listen to the air cooler crank up immediately because the saturation of the heat pipes happens quickly. with water it happens very, very slowly.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

An NH-D15 will be better, cheaper and outperforms both.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

Liquid cooling is all about how much energy you can dump into the water before you have to start actively cooling like a car radiator. this keeps noise down while CPU is under tremendous load. makes for a more peaceful computing experience than to listen to the air cooler crank up immediately because the saturation of the heat pipes happens quickly. with water it happens very, very slowly.

I will be cooling a 7700k moving from x99 to z270 due to having issue since I got x99 I won't be overclocking as I have had so many issues with overclocking on my x99 so i'm looking for high single thread performance out of the box

again, it comes down to noise at full load. my fans don't even twitch past 850 until CPU temps are in the mid to upper 70's. that takes a long time because with the water temp at room temperature, it has to break 40*C before Core temps start to break 75*C.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

6 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

I will be cooling a 7700k moving from x99 to z270 due to having issue since I got x99 I won't be overclocking as I have had so many issues with overclocking on my x99 so i'm looking for high single thread performance out of the box

6 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

But Dark Rock 3 is quiter

fan_noise100.gif

2 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

-You don't have to be so intimidated by OCing just cause you had  bad experience with n X99 as all X99 boards did have issues except the EVGA Classified.

-How on earth were you using a 7700K on an X99 ?! or did i just get you wrong ?

-The D15 is your best option, take it from one who've used it for the last two years.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

again, it comes down to noise at full load. my fans don't even twitch past 850 until CPU temps are in the mid to upper 70's. that takes a long time because with the water temp at room temperature, it has to break 40*C before Core temps start to break 75*C.

I had a h115i for a while and it was fine I bought ML 140 fans and set them to 50% and it was sielent except for in cpu intensive games it kept ramping up and down constantly but I think that was an issue with my fan curve

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

At the coast of performance ;)

1 minute ago, MekaStrix said:

I had a h115i for a while and it was fine I bought ML 140 fans and set them to 50% and it was sielent except for in cpu intensive games it kept ramping up and down constantly but I think that was an issue with my fan curve

it most certainly was. I do not use the corsair app to control fans n my H115i. I let the MB handle that, and it does a SUPERIOR job. still could be better, but for now, i'm happy.

System specs:

2 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

-You don't have to be so intimidated by OCing just cause you had  bad experience with n X99 as all X99 boards did have issues except the EVGA Classified.

-The D15 is your best option, take it from one who've used it for the last two years.

No I am moving over to z270 with a 7700k I don't have it yet I still have my 5960X at the moment but my experience with this platform hasn't been great it took me about 7 motherboard returns before I got one that wasn't DOA

Just now, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

At the coast of performance ;)

CPU_OC_max.gifCPU_OC_typical_b.gif

Agreed, OP should get Dark Rock Pro 3

3 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

I should add I need to get a new motherboard anyway as the one I am using currrently arrived with a broken usb 3.0 header and the shop wouldn't do anything about it

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

CPU_OC_max.gifCPU_OC_typical_b.gif

Those are massive coolers though lol I don't like the look of a big chunk of metal in my case I don't mind the smaller tower coolers but any bigger and I start to consider AIO cooling use to do custom water cooling but got fed up with mine leaking from swivel fittings

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

It is a perfect alternative to the D15 ;)

1 minute ago, MekaStrix said:

Those are massive coolers though lol I don't like the look of a big chunk of metal in my case I don't mind the smaller tower coolers but any bigger and I start to consider AIO cooling use to do custom water cooling but got fed up with mine leaking from swivel fittings

well there is a Pure Rock Slim that uses a 92mm SilentWings2 fan.

System specs:

5 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

Personally i don't like the maintenance part of liquid cooling and the amount of stuff that could go wrong while all you have to do with an air cooler is clean it, and you get similar performance for the same money if not cheaper.

I plan to get either an s340 elite or master case maker 5 btw in terms of cases

6 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Personally i don't like the maintenance part of liquid cooling and the amount of stuff that could go wrong while all you have to do with an air cooler is clean it, and you get similar performance for the same money if not cheaper.

yeah when I say leak it was more of a weap from the 90 degree swivel fittings I replace one and refilled the loop and then after a couple months another one started to drip liquid very slowly so I replaced that one and then the cpu block started to drip on the back of my GPU luckily I had a backplate on it but I had enough of the issues so decided to go AIO or air

3 hours ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

The NH-D15 doesn't outperform the x62. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nzxt_kraken_62_review,11.html

The x62 also easily beats the DR3 in cooling.

3 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

These readings are from the fans running at 100%--which seems strange for anyone who cared about noise in the first place.

3 hours ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

It is a perfect alternative to the D15 ;)

They're not in the same tier. The DR3 is supposed to be a comepetitor to the NH-U14S but lands closer to the NH-U12S in performance. A better competitor to the NH-D15 would be the DRP3. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-D15 doesn't outperform the x62. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nzxt_kraken_62_review,11.html

The x62 also easily beats the DR3 in cooling.

These readings are from the fans running at 100%--which seems strange for anyone who cared about noise in the first place.

They're not in the same tier. The DR3 is supposed to be a comepetitor to the NH-U14S but lands closer to the NH-U12S in performance. A better competitor to the NH-D15 would be the DRP3. 

I don't want an overly noisy cooler the loudest thing in my pc right now is my GPU but when i'm not in game even the fans on that turn off

4 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

I don't want an overly noisy cooler the loudest thing in my pc right now is my GPU but when i'm not in game even the fans on that turn off

If you want a cooler recommendation, list your specs, where you're shopping/located, and budget.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you want a cooler recommendation, list your specs, where you're shopping/located, and budget.

I will be cooling a 7700k case wise I plan on getting a s340 elite and budget no more than £150 and not too big of a cooler either lol

I am also avoiding corsair at the moment due to bad experience recently of 3 things going faulty from them and their RMA service taking forever to sort it out

3 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

I will be cooling a 7700k case wise I plan on getting a s340 elite and budget no more than £150 and not too big of a cooler either lol

I am also avoiding corsair at the moment due to bad experience recently of 3 things going faulty from them and their RMA service taking forever to sort it out

Depending on how much you want to spend and how far you want to push an oc, some good options include:

Pure Rock: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/cwPzK8/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk009

SR Slim: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/Zr2kcf/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk010

Kotetsu: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/7998TW/scythe-cpu-cooler-scktt1000

Macho Rev. B: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/4TCrxr/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machorevb

NH-D15: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/4vzv6h/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15

SilentLoop 280: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/zXfmP6/be-quiet-silent-loop-280-942-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-bw003

Going with an AIO will introduce pump noise but the SilentLoop series seems like the best option if you want the quietest AIO or lowest noise at load but not necessarily at idle.