psu help

CalTheTroll

hey all 

so im planing on upgrading my pc to a fx 8350 and 2 gtx 960 ssc atm i have a 500w psu and another one that im not using and would like to know if using 2 psu 1 for powering the motherboard and 1 gpu than the other one to power the other gpu and how i would go about seting that up thanks 

I'm working on theory, so don't count me on this actually working.

Whatever PSU you don't connect to the computer, you'll need a way to turn it on. A way to do this is to get a paper clip or something and connect the green wire to a black wire on the 24-pin connector. Other than that you should be able to plug the other PSU in to your hardware as normal.

The risks for doing this? I dunno. Probably good for a short term solution until you can get a better PSU.

4 minutes ago, CalTheTroll said:

hey all 

so im planing on upgrading my pc to a fx 8350 and 2 gtx 960 ssc atm i have a 500w psu and another one that im not using and would like to know if using 2 psu 1 for powering the motherboard and 1 gpu than the other one to power the other gpu and how i would go about seting that up thanks 

If you are buying new, don't get 2 960s nor the fx 8350. Ryzen is 1month away and would recommend RX 480 8GB or (if you want a bigger upgrade) GTX 1070.

3 minutes ago, CalTheTroll said:

500w psu

which model?

3 minutes ago, CalTheTroll said:

using 2 psu 1 for powering the motherboard and 1 gpu than the other one to power the other gpu

that's crazy don't. 

You might be able to do that setup on a single 500w psu but then it will come down to if its a quality unit or not.

Btw if you haven't bought the other 960, dont. Better to get a strong single card like the 1060 than putting 2 weaker cards in SLI.

i would get a new gpu but i have 2 960 atm so might as well use them as for the cpu i dont think i could afford ryzen as mutch as i would like it lol :P

5 hours ago, CalTheTroll said:

i would get a new gpu but i have 2 960 atm so might as well use them as for the cpu i dont think i could afford ryzen as mutch as i would like it lol :P

What PSU do you have specifically? A quality 500W will be enough to run them just on it's own, but if it's a cheap knockoff brand 500W I wouldn't recommend using it at all.

"Rawr XD"

On 21/01/2017 at 1:39 AM, Aniallation said:

What PSU do you have specifically? A quality 500W will be enough to run them just on it's own, but if it's a cheap knockoff brand 500W I wouldn't recommend using it at all.

i have this psu http://amzn.eu/30LJur5