Will raid 0 benefit GTA 5?

Sleeper PC 2016

I play gta 5 on my PC On a a 320 gb WD Blue 2.5 inch drive that pulls about 70 read 60 write and it takes a good 1-2 minutes to load into story mode and I get the occasional stutter in game. If I were to add an identical drive to the system and put it in raid 0 will I double my speeds and reduce the stutter? HDD is at 100% constantly when running the game. And no the drive is not failing. Before I had a WD Green 1 tb and it failed on me in an hour so I replaced it with the 320 I have currently. The game froze and lagged like crazy before it eventually stopped being detected. The green pulled 130 read and about 120 write before it failed. My boot ssd and the mechanical drive is on the Sata 6 gbps bus. My question is if I get another WD Blue that's identical to my current one and put it in raid 0 will my speeds double from 70 read 60 write to 135-140 read 120-130 write and stop the little stutters I'm having?

Edited by Sleeper PC 2016

it would technically improve, may not be much tho

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

Its not worth adding an identical drive, do yourself a favor and either get an ssd, or a 1 tb 7200rpm 3.5 inch drive 

1 minute ago, Fatelinha said:

it would technically improve, may not be much tho

GTA 5 is known to take a long time loading being 64 gigs for the pc version. I got a PS3 and running the game from a bluray it takes almost 2 minutes to load. When I had the green drive (before it failed) it loaded gta 5 in like a minute. Now it takes about 2-3 minutes

2 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Its not worth adding an identical drive, do yourself a favor and either get an ssd, or a 1 tb 7200rpm 3.5 inch drive 

And I forgot to mention I can get an identical hard drive for FREE from my school's tech department

2 minutes ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

And I forgot to mention I can get an identical hard drive for FREE from my school's tech department

Then why do you ask bro? Just do it

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

3 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Can't afford more then a 120 gig SSD. I also got other games installed and won't fit. Plus the current boot ssd is my first ssd I ever used so I got little experience wth them.

1 minute ago, Fatelinha said:

Then why do you ask bro? Just do it

They only have a couple 320 gig ones. Most are 80-250

I need a legitimate reason as they won't just give it out Willy Nilly. Valid reasons would be a project computer or my hard drive went bad. My original question is will a raid 0 improve loading times and stuttering in big games like gta 5 and battlefield

4 minutes ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

Can't afford more then a 120 gig SSD. I also got other games installed and won't fit. Plus the current boot ssd is my first ssd I ever used so I got little experience wth them.

Then get a 1tb hard drive, raid 0 has issues 

Slow + slow is still slow. Raiding hard drives will do nada to access times. 120-240gb ssds are so cheap now, grab one of those for the slower games. 

i would definitely say the benefit wouldn't be noticeable and to instead run the game from an SSD if you really want to improve load times

On 1/20/2017 at 1:19 PM, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Then get a 1tb hard drive, raid 0 has issues 

i had a 1 tb green drive (if you read the post) but it failed on me 

On 1/20/2017 at 1:34 PM, Archeval said:

i would definitely say the benefit wouldn't be noticeable and to instead run the game from an SSD if you really want to improve load times

When a game loads i think its sequential read and not random read. I saw a video on Youtube where he installed doom on an ssd and the loading times were decreased so in theory raid 0 is close to SSD speeds. I don't want an ssd just for GTA and other big games. The smaller games like csgo load quick enough. This morning i loaded GTA 5 on my pc and it took about 3 minutes to load gta

On 1/20/2017 at 11:10 AM, 8-Bit Ninja said:

5 minutes ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

i had a 1 tb green drive (if you read the post) but it failed on me 

I've loaded GTA V on my boot SSD before (1TB Samsung 840 EVO) and it didn't really change loading times in any meaningful way. I'd recommend keeping that game on mechanical. Hell, the loading times are part of the reason I stopped playing it. They just weren't worth it for me.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

1 minute ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I've loaded GTA V on my boot SSD before (1TB Samsung 840 EVO) and it didn't really change loading times in any meaningful way. I'd recommend keeping that game on mechanical. Hell, the loading times are part of the reason I stopped playing it. They just weren't worth it for me.

My green drive loaded the game in about a minute. 

1 minute ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

My green drive loaded the game in about a minute. 

My SSD loaded it in 50 seconds or so. It wasn't a meaningful increase in speed, so I moved it over to my mechanical drive, and then deleted it because I got tired of the game.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

2 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

My SSD loaded it in 50 seconds or so. It wasn't a meaningful increase in speed, so I moved it over to my mechanical drive, and then deleted it because I got tired of the game.

i watched some comparision vids and a good ssd will load the game in about 30 seconds. a fast HDD took a minute (the green drive for example)

On 1/20/2017 at 0:13 PM, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

Lucky. My school won't even let me pay for hardware

Breaking things 1 day at a time

2 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Lucky. My school won't even let me pay for hardware

Why do you have an AMD and an Nvidia card?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

1 hour ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Why do you have an AMD and an Nvidia card?

Did you see the FTW?

10 minutes ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

Did you see the FTW?

I mean yeah, but what does that have to do with anything?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

5 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I mean yeah, but what does that have to do with anything?

Maybe he is running SLI and Crossfire at the same time

5 minutes ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

Maybe he is running SLI and Crossfire at the same time

I... what? I still don't see what that has to do with it.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

4 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I... what? I still don't see what that has to do with it.

its possible to run both cards at the same time but you cant use both