ASUS Anti-Surge Was Triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit

Hello All,

First off I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read through this. I just built this pc about 3 weeks ago. Starting last week when I turned on the pc I got a message saying Asus Anti-Surge Protection was Triggered. When I research

the error message online I found a lot of responses some saying that if your pc boots it's not an issue, some say the power supply is bad, or that it could be any piece of hardware. When I looked at the PC I noticed the activity lights on my HDD were off, so I decided to try and reseat the drive. After the reseat the pc booted normally and I played Crysis 3 for several hours with no issues. I powered off the pc come back the next day and it's the same error. So now I think maybe it's the HDD or the MoBo pci e slot. So I move the HDD to another slot it boots fine and runs for several hours power down that night, come back the next day and get the same error. When researching someone mentioned it could be a loose cable so I power it down reseat all the PSU cables power it up and it works fine again for several hours but the next day same error. I'm going to try updating the BIOS tonight as some other people with this issue claim it's a faulty alert if the pc works fine. At this point I'm at a loss of what to try or what could possibly be wrong if the PC works just fine after draining flea power. 

PC Parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zrvnjc

TL;DR  Built new pc. When It sits off for a few hours and I try to power on I get a message saying ASUS Anti-Surge protection was Triggered. PC Works for hours after draining FLEA power. Lots of troubleshooting but I can't figure out what is at fault. 

Summary of TS steps completed:

1. Reseat HDD
  2. Move HDD to different PCI-E slot
  3. Tried different UPS
  4. Reseat all power connections from PSU
  5. Turned off Anti Surge Protection but PC doesn't boot unless I drain flea power

IMG_20170117_183114.jpg

1 minute ago, ScholarYoshi said:

Hello All,

First off I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read through this. I just built this pc about 3 weeks ago. Starting last week when I turned on the pc I got a message saying Asus Anti-Surge Protection was Triggered. When I research

the error message online I found a lot of responses some saying that if your pc boots it's not an issue, some say the power supply is bad, or that it could be any piece of hardware. When I looked at the PC I noticed the activity lights on my HDD were off, so I decided to try and reseat the drive. After the reseat the pc booted normally and I played Crysis 3 for several hours with no issues. I powered off the pc come back the next day and it's the same error. So now I think maybe it's the HDD or the MoBo pci e slot. So I move the HDD to another slot it boots fine and runs for several hours power down that night, come back the next day and get the same error. When researching someone mentioned it could be a loose cable so I power it down reseat all the PSU cables power it up and it works fine again for several hours but the next day same error. I'm going to try updating the BIOS tonight as some other people with this issue claim it's a faulty alert if the pc works fine. At this point I'm at a loss of what to try or what could possibly be wrong if the PC works just fine after draining flea power. 

TL;DR  Built new pc. When It sits off for a few hours and I try to power on I get a message saying ASUS Anti-Surge protection was Triggered. PC Works for hours after draining FLEA power. Lots of troubleshooting but I can't figure out what is at fault. 

1. Reseat HDD
  3. Tried different UPS
  5. Turned off Anti Surge Protection but PC doesn't boot unless I drain flea power

IMG_20170117_183114.jpg

My Z170-A model board did that and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I restarted it over and over. Then I tried CMOS and nothing happened. It's like it locked itself in that mode.

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

5 minutes ago, ScholarYoshi said:

Hello All,

1. Reseat HDD
  3. Tried different UPS

IMG_20170117_183114.jpg

Make sure the PC is fully shut down before you power off at the wall, otherwise you will have to do this bootup screen every time you hard power down your PC.

PC Specs

i7 6700

Asus H110-PLUS

ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC

EVGA G2 550W PSU

3TB HD & 255GB SSD

CiT Galaxy Evolution

Upgrades

EVGA G2 550W PSU

Asus Strix GTX 1070

NZXT S340 ELITE BLACK

last time i saw that warning pop up on someone's pc, a month later their power supply cut out, it's nothing stressworthy *yet* but it's defenately worth a phone call to the place you bought that power supply from.

@Gamerman how did you resolve? Did you have to replace the motherboard?

@Protex I don't hard power it off, I just shut down using Windows and leave it, when I come back the next day I get this message and can only boot successfully if I turn off at the PSU or unplug and wait for flea power to drain. Also once I successfully boot I can reboot or power off and back on right away with no issues, it only gives this message after being off and left alone for a few hours. 

@ScholarYoshi Yeah I replaced it with a Gigabyte Gaming 7. You can fill out a RMA form with ASUS and send it back in. I could've done that but I didn't feel like waiting :P

GAMING RIG:

VR RIG:

@ScholarYoshi As a matter of fact I tried to update the BIOS and it didn't help. It was still stuck in the same loop.

GAMING RIG:

VR RIG:

14 minutes ago, ScholarYoshi said:

1. Tried different UPS

Did you mean PSU?

Because a different PSU is the first thing you should try, not a different UPS.

Also, unplug everything from the motherboard and see if you can get into BIOS with no hard drives, no GPU, etc...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Did you mean PSU?

Because a different PSU is the first thing you should try, not a different UPS.

Also, unplug everything from the motherboard and see if you can get into BIOS with no hard drives, no GPU, etc...

@Enderman In my case, the PSU was fine. I had it in my personal rig until Christmas and then swapped to an EVGA 750w.

GAMING RIG:

VR RIG:

2 minutes ago, GamerMan said:

@Enderman In my case, the PSU was fine. I had it in my personal rig until Christmas and then swapped to an EVGA 750w.

Yes, but the first thing to test is another PSU with nothing plugged into the motherboard, if it still happens then it's the defective motherboard.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

@Enderman True. He may have better luck than me :P

GAMING RIG:

VR RIG:

@Enderman I don't have another PSU on hand to test unfortunately. I do have a second UPS though on my entertainment center that I tried to see if that was causing any issues. 

2 minutes ago, ScholarYoshi said:

@Enderman I don't have another PSU on hand to test unfortunately. I do have a second UPS though on my entertainment center that I tried to see if that was causing any issues. 

You need to find someone to lend you a PSU then or bring your PC to a store like NCIX so they can test it with another PSU.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I talked to newegg, who I purchased the parts from and they agreed it could be Mobo or psu. RMA'd both parts replaced them both last night everything booted and worked perfectly played games for 4 or 5 hours. Get up this morning, turn on the PC and I get the SAME error message! ?☠️

Where do I go from here?

@ScholarYoshi I'd get money back and get a different mobo. I've had problems with that board before. I'd go with the Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 :)

GAMING RIG:

VR RIG: