Typing slower on a mechanical keyboard?

Keelan

So i've been using the corsair k70 (Cherry mx red switches) for around a year now and I can saw for sure that I type much faster on a membrane keyboard other the cherry key switches.

With a membrane keyboard and can reach speeds up to around 80-90 wpm but still after a year I'm typing on my corsair k70 at around 60-70 wpm.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you.

I type fastest on apple keyboards and laptop keyboards. Less travel distance I guess but prob coz I use them all the time. I tried a mechanical keyboard at work and I did not like the change

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

when you can actually type with 10 fingers you will not mind. That's my feel about it. I'm constantly above ~120 wpm no matter what keyboard as long as it's standard king size. I am much slower on laptops.

Guess it takes time? Will take longer for those whole use only the left side of the keybaord around WASD :-)

1 minute ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

when you can actually type with 10 fingers you will not mind. That's my feel about it. I'm constantly above ~120 wpm no matter what keyboard as long as it's standard king size. I am much slower on laptops.

Guess it takes time? Will take longer for those whole use only the left side of the keybaord around WASD :-)

I've always been able to touch type it's just I can't type fast on this specific keyboard. It just feels like a waste of money.

maybe try a different switch? or go back to rubber dome? nothing wrong with those, just not that hyped like mechanicals are, but some are actually pretty good. might not last that long but hey, after a few years it's time for something new anyway.

I've been using a tenkeyless keyboard with brown switches from Cooler Master.

Like @ItsTheDuckAgain said, you might wanna tryout other switches. The reds are not meant for fast typing, but for gaming. They do not have a tactile bump to tell you they have been actuated like the browns do. I like the browns, they are a bit harder to press than the reds, and they feel closer to rubber dome switches.

I got Kailh Reds and came straight from Rubberdomes aswell. I have to say that Red Switches are pretty close to rubberdomes, but i tend to bottom them out quite a lot because im still pretty used to Rubberdomes. Maybe MX Brown/Blue fit you better as you can better feel and hear when they actuated, as stated above.