MS dropping support for Minecraft PE on Windows Phone and Mobile

suicidalfranco

Minecraft-Pocket-Edition-Windows-Phone.j

If the title couldn't be nay more clear, i'll use ars own title to picture a clearer one:

Microsoft-owned Minecraft no longer supported on Microsoft-owned Windows Phone/Mobile

i understand why they are doing it, but considering they're both owned by microsoft and the amount of time the MS defence force and fangirl club have told me that "MS is super focused on pushing W10M" just makes it that much funny

The reason for this move is reported to be that so few people play the game on the platform that it's not worth maintaining.

What's more funny: the Windows 10 edition of Minecraft only works on the desktop! so much for UWP :dry:

Microsoft be like: "You should develop apps for our platform...what? Of course we aren't going to, that would be a waste, no one's using our apps...hey, where's everyone going?"

source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/microsoft-owned-minecraft-no-longer-supported-on-microsoft-owned-windows-phonemobile/?comments=1&vs=b

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

What kind of nerd tries to Minecraft with a touch screen? 

8 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

5 year olds who dont have a pc because their parents are either hoarders, druggos or are on their pension.

Main PC
CPU: i3-4160. RAM: 2x4GB Kingston ValueRam. GPU: Asus GTX750Ti OC 2GB (Palit StormOC 750Ti Bios). CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X.
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3. Storage: 1x Samsung 840 Evo. RAID 0: WD Scorpio Blue 500GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB. PSU: Corsair CX500M.
Network: some TP-Link card that doesnt support 5.0Ghz. Case: Casecom Neptune CP-626 (the cooler doesnt fit so the side panel stays off).
Mouse: Logitech G430. Headphones: Sennheiser RS195. Keyboard: Lenovo KU0225. OS: Windows 10 Pro

stuff that isnt my main pc
Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E531 - Ubuntu 17.04 (Gnome Desktop)
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B - Not in Use
Raspberry Pi 3 - RetroPie

Phones/Tablets
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Lineage 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)
HTC One M7 - Dead Charging Port - Lineage 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)
HTC One M8 - Dead Sim Port -  Lineage 15 (Android 8.0.0)
Telstra 4GX Plus (ZTE Blade A462) - Android M Stock
iPhone 4S - Dead Battery Sensor (Stuck on too hot warning) - Latest iOS 9
iPhone 5 - MAIN PHONE - iOS 10.3.3

Consoles
Xbox One
Xbox 360 S
PlayStation 2 Fat

Headset: Plantronics RIG400HX 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I'm angry. I'm pissed off. I knew something was up when they were late for the Beta 1.0 update............

Fuck you too Microsoft!

Both as a developer and a consumer!

imangry.PNG

Spread the message! This behavior is unacceptable!

I hate you Mojang. >:(

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Arent they planning on releasing the surface phone this year though? Why would they stop right when they are about to break back into the market? Wtf

3 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

Arent they planning on releasing the surface phone this year though? Why would they stop right when they are about to break back into the market? Wtf

They have multiple project ideas they are banking on.

One of which is ARM running desktop Windows 10.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Isn't Minecraft PE an UWP-app? Or is that Minecraft Windows 10 edition?

Kind of funny, and sad, how not even Microsoft thinks it is worth developing for their own platforms.

The Minecraft app is a Windows Phone 8 app. Not a Universal App.

I don't think any Windows Phone/Mobile users where playing it, so what's the point in supporting it. The game will remain in the Store if you want to play it, but it won't have updates.

16 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Kind of funny, and sad, how not even Microsoft thinks it is worth developing for their own platforms.

from ars technica article: the Windows 10 edition is an UWP app but only for desktop while the pocket edition is a C++ app made for windows phone 8 and maintained as a windows phone 8 app till now

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

from ars technica article: the Windows 10 edition is an UWP app but only for desktop while the pocket edition is a C++ app made for windows phone 8 and maintained as a windows phone 8 app till now

I see.

So wait... Windows Phone users will be stuck on an outdated version of Minecraft? Isn't the entire point of UWP to make it run on all platforms? So why make it so that the UWP version of Minecraft doesn't work on phones?

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

I see.

So wait... Windows Phone users will be stuck on an outdated version of Minecraft? Isn't the entire point of UWP to make it run on all platforms? So why make it so that the UWP version of Minecraft doesn't work on phones?

i know right? ask MS, they're the ones trying to force everyone to use their UWP bs while seems like even them don't want to do the extra work to support their own platform

28 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It was a Windows Phone 8 app.

Minecraft Windows 10 Edition is a UWP app but they only published it for PC and HoloLens......

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I see.

I know right. Microsoft has yet to release the UWP Minecraft Windows 10 Edition to the Phone platform.

I hope it just means they're pushing out the full Win 10 on arm thing soon. So the ultimate goal would be running minecraft (java and C++ one) on phones.

4 hours ago, twoSalty said:

5 year olds who dont have a pc because their parents are either hoarders, druggos or are on their pension.

Or maybe they have better things to spend money on... Maybe their parents want them to have a life? On a semi-related note, you should get one.

51 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The Minecraft app is a Windows Phone 8 app. Not a Universal App.

I don't think any Windows Phone/Mobile users where playing it, so what's the point in supporting it. The game will remain in the Store if you want to play it, but it won't have updates.

Nice to know.

9 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

I hope it just means they're pushing out the full Win 10 on arm thing soon. So the ultimate goal would be running minecraft (java and C++ one) on phones.

yeah lol the java version won't.

they're planning to phase it out.

32 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

yeah lol the java version won't.

they're planning to phase it out.

Yeaaaa, not gonna happen. Mods/plugins are a crucial part of keeping minecraft alive and that's only available in the java version. (Unless it has changed, I haven't played MC for quite a while now ever since addition of new content for survival slowed down to nearly a halt...)

Almost any project ms does or acquire, just don't have any hope up for it. It will sooner or later get abandoned.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

They have multiple project ideas they are banking on.

One of which is ARM running desktop Windows 10.

That's x86 emulation on arm, windows already runs on arm.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On January 20, 2017 at 3:27 AM, Mooshi said:

I don't play minecraft so I wouldn't know.  lol

Since when did MS own minecraft?

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I don't play minecraft so I wouldn't know.  lol

Since when did MS own minecraft?

Since 2014 when they bought it for 2 Billion US Dollars.

On January 20, 2017 at 7:07 AM, LAwLz said:

I see.

Because like Nintendo and Apple, MS has a history of doing stupid things that piss off its customers and gets away with it because they're basically the only mainstream OS since the average user probably doesn't want to bother figuring out Linux and doesn't want to overpay for a Mac or simply can't afford one.  

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Since 2014 when they bought it for 2 Billion US Dollars.

Wtf?...  ?    I need to make a pointless game that is boring looking af and sell it for a fortune too.  

Sorry to anyone who likes it but the only people I know personally that play minecraft are my stupid af white trash cousins who think they know everything/have the world figured out while still in high school.