x-850 failure?

DragonTamer1

Does anyone know what kind of failure rate the Seasonic X-850s have. I got mine used off of ebay with some damaged cables that were fixed with an adapter but now the computer has developed symptoms that is mimicking a dying PSU.

With all 6 cores enabled on my 1650 the system crashes on boot and says over clock failed. Disabling two cores allows me to get into windows but any kind of intensive load and it's an instant shut down, no blue screen just instant power off. Taking the system down to two cores and it can be fully loaded up with no issues. At this point the power draw reading is saying it's pulling about 70W on the CPU. I rebuilt my 2500K system and overclocked everything to its maximum and loaded up prime95 and heaven at the same time but not crash even though it was pulling more power than the 1650 with it's quad core config.

I have a second processor on the way to test the possibility of a dying CPU being the problem (put the 2620 back in but I can only max it out at about 70W of pull so that's not a good way to test). I've been looking at Seasonics website and they offer some kind of warranty for second hand supplies but I would need to get in touch with the guy who sold me the PSU. I also don't have the original box or documentation for it.

Just trying to find answers to my problem, hoping someone could tell me how common it is for these units to fail. Just looking it up on google gives a lot of search results but doesn't accurately portray the problem.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

9 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Does anyone know what kind of failure rate the Seasonic X-850s have. I got mine used off of ebay with some damaged cables that were fixed with an adapter but now the computer has developed symptoms that is mimicking a dying PSU.

so.. you got a damaged unit off ebay? o.O

sounds like that's your problem right there tbh...

The PCIe cables are a 6+2 design, the +2 part was snipped off of every connector. I was able to fix it with a dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter from my old 760.

I weighed the options and for $60 it was worth taking a chance.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

It may be the PSU, but there's definitely a chance it could be a problem with the CPU or motherboard (specifically the VRMs). 

"Rawr XD"

13 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

With all 6 cores enabled on my 1650 the system crashes on boot and says over clock failed. Disabling two cores allows me to get into windows but any kind of intensive load and it's an instant shut down, no blue screen just instant power off. Taking the system down to two cores and it can be fully loaded up with no issues. At this point the power draw reading is saying it's pulling about 70W on the CPU. I rebuilt my 2500K system and overclocked everything to its maximum and loaded up prime95 and heaven at the same time but not crash even though it was pulling more power than the 1650 with it's quad core config.

I have a second processor on the way to test the possibility of a dying CPU being the problem (put the 2620 back in but I can only max it out at about 70W of pull so that's not a good way to test). I've been looking at Seasonics website and they offer some kind of warranty for second hand supplies but I would need to get in touch with the guy who sold me the PSU. I also don't have the original box or documentation for it.

Just trying to find answers to my problem, hoping someone could tell me how common it is for these units to fail. Just looking it up on google gives a lot of search results but doesn't accurately portray the problem.

Have you tried getting aftermarket cables of the X850 from Cablemod or Icemodz or the like? I'd imagine that would solve your problem. X-series Seasonic units are top-notch.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||