How to remove hardened pads/paste

PingPonguin

One more question. (aka ive asked too many)

I have to remove thermal pads/paste from chipset and GPU die. It dried/became rock solid, and i could only remove them with a flathead screwdriver from the heatsinks. How should I deal with the pads/paste on the dies without damaging anything? There's not much (its a thin layer), but it's directly on the die and it's rock solid.

Desktop:  Intel Core i5-6400 | Zalman CNPS9500AT CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 1050 SC GAMING 2GB | 1x8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Gigabyte H170N-WIFI | Intel 600p 256GB SSD | Seagate Firecuda 1TB SSHDCorsair CX450M (Gray Version) PSU | Thermaltake Core V1 Mini-ITX Case |

Soak them with some isopropyl alcohol until they break down abit and can be removed with your fingers?

It's ok to just put alcohol on the die? How should i apply it? with q-tip or just pour it? i've tried using tissues moistened with alcohol and it doesn't seem to do the job.

Desktop:  Intel Core i5-6400 | Zalman CNPS9500AT CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 1050 SC GAMING 2GB | 1x8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Gigabyte H170N-WIFI | Intel 600p 256GB SSD | Seagate Firecuda 1TB SSHDCorsair CX450M (Gray Version) PSU | Thermaltake Core V1 Mini-ITX Case |

1 minute ago, PingPonguin said:

It's ok to just put alcohol on the die? How should i apply it? with q-tip or just pour it? i've tried using tissues moistened with alcohol and it doesn't seem to do the job.

q tip

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, PingPonguin said:

Isopropyl alcohol is fine to put on electronics, including the die.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Isopropyl alcohol is fine to put on electronics, including the die.

I've even bathed my CPU in acetone to help make that glue they use easier to scrub off after delidding. Still working just fine. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

17 minutes ago, PingPonguin said:

Alcohol is the solution to all problems ... Well not all but in this case, Isopropyl alcohol is the answer. It won't damage anything as far as I know of.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

It still doesn't come off though. Should I just leave it there and apply paste as usual?

3 hours ago, PingPonguin said:

It still doesn't come off though. Should I just leave it there and apply paste as usual?

Can you post a photo of this layer?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

17 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Can you post a photo of this layer?

Sure.

001.jpg

002.jpg

10 minutes ago, PingPonguin said:

Sure.

Try leaving a paper towel soaked with a bit of alcohol on the die for a whie. It should make it easier to wipe off.  

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.