ADD2 GPU's?

Hi. My 2006 HP machine doesn't have an iGPU. I need a GPU, but it only has an ADD2, two PCI, and a PCIe x1. Below is a picture of the motherboard, an HP DC5700.hp-dc5700-motherboard-404794-001-404167-

Thank you.

if that is Pcie x16 gen 2.0 you should be fine with most gpus. Probably an rx 460 or gtx 1050/1050ti unless your psu has 6 pin power connectors.

1 minute ago, EminentSun said:

if that is Pcie x16 gen 2.0 you should be fine with most gpus. Probably an rx 460 or gtx 1050/1050ti unless your psu has 6 pin power connectors.

No, It's regular PCI.

1 minute ago, ColonelB said:

It's regular PCI.

No, those two ports above the black x1 slot are pci.

pci-mb.jpg

The large port with the hinge below the x1 is pcie and is where the gpu goes.

53235-asus-z87-annotated.png

2 minutes ago, EminentSun said:

No, those two ports above the black x1 slot are pci.

pci-mb.jpg

The large port with the hinge below the x1 is pcie and is where the gpu goes.

53235-asus-z87-annotated.png

That's ADD2

4 minutes ago, ColonelB said:

That's ADD2

No, it's PCIe.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

7 minutes ago, ColonelB said:

That's ADD2

The expansion slots on your motherboard are PCIe and PCI.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

the pci-e slot uses an adapter,  ( an ADD2 ) adapter to run tv cards and whatnot. you can put a modern graphics card in that pci-e slot................ or you could toss money away on a PCI ( only ) graphics card. (* modern depending on the operating system the machine is running ).

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

No, it's PCIe.

It's really not, I've tried to put in a GPU, didn't fit because it's ADD2, also nearby the ADD2 port it screams 'ADD2 SUPPORT ONLY' with white text on the motherboard.

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

it's PCIe

Add2 is a standard that uses the pcie port, but with less functionality. Some add2 ports also support normal pcie gpus.

if yours doesn't (and I can't find any information on if it does) the only thing you can do is drive more monitors, even if you have a normal graphics card it will not function. My best advice would be to pick up a cheap one and see if it will drive any games.

1 minute ago, EminentSun said:

Add2 is a standard that uses the pcie port, but with less functionality. Some add2 ports also support normal pcie gpus.

if yours doesn't (and I can't find any information on if it does) the only thing you can do is drive more monitors, even if you have a normal graphics card it will not function. My best advice would be to pick up a cheap one and see if it will drive any games.

Ah, okay.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

1 minute ago, ColonelB said:

'ADD2 SUPPORT ONLY' with white text on the motherboard.

Any add2 cards use the intergrated graphics to drive video outputs so no you can't put any (modern) gpu in that thing. Sorry for the confusion.

3 minutes ago, ColonelB said:

It's really not, I've tried to put in a GPU, didn't fit because it's ADD2, also nearby the ADD2 port it screams 'ADD2 SUPPORT ONLY' with white text on the motherboard.

You're probably out of luck then, every modern (consumer) GPU uses PCIe AFAIK.

✨PC Specs✨

3 minutes ago, ColonelB said:

From Intel:

ADD2 cards use the PCI Express x16 port to get serial digital video out (SDVO) signals from the Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH). ADD2 cards allow configurations for TV-out, LVDS, and TMDS output (for example, televisions and digital displays/flat panels). Combined with an Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator driver, ADD2 cards can be used to display output to a television, digital display, or simultaneously to a monitor and digital display.

Bold is mine.

Source: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005747.html

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Or I'm crazy, It might have iGPU, but when the monitor is on it flashes white, red, blue, and green.

2 minutes ago, EminentSun said:

Any add2 cards use the intergrated graphics to drive video outputs so no you can't put any (modern) gpu in that thing. Sorry for the confusion.

I imagine you could get something like a PCI (not express) Radeon HD 3450, but I'm not really certain that it'll be worth the cost, as they tend to be pricey for what they are.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Would a PCIe x1 to PCIe x16 adapter cable work for you?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Would a PCIe x1 to PCIe x16 adapter cable work for you?

Possibly, although I don't have all that much space.

4 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

I imagine you could get something like a PCI (not express) Radeon HD 3450, but I'm not really certain that it'll be worth the cost, as they tend to be pricey for what they are.

Would you be able to point me at one?

there is a vga adapter that will work in that slot.. if you can find one............ or you can get a pci card for one of the pci slots......... and yes, sorry for the confusion with the "modern" card thing. I was wrong on that.

this is an example of a pci card..........http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129188&ignorebbr=1

30 minutes ago, ColonelB said:

Would you be able to point me at one?

Scour eBay is my only advice really.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Scour eBay is my only advice really.

Aight, thanks.

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

there is a vga adapter that will work in that slot.. if you can find one............ or you can get a pci card for one of the pci slots......... and yes, sorry for the confusion with the "modern" card thing. I was wrong on that.

this is an example of a pci card..........http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129188&ignorebbr=1

40 to 50 bucks for a radeon 7000 (not HD 7000 so it's almost two decades old DX 7 hardware with no shader support and nothing) with laughable 64mb of memory?

they can't be serious !

i could have gotten a geforce 5500 with 256mb for HALF of that, but instead, i bought a PCI geforce GT 610 with 512mb for 30 bucks and i found that too expensive already - but hey, it has DX 11 feature support so it makes some programs work that refuse to start without this (lookin' at you, OBS)

and it runs portal 2 at around 30 fps - booya!!

Get in touch with Visiontek. Late last year, they did a "mystery GPU" promotion where you could pay anywhere from $5-$15, and they'd send you whatever GPU they had lying around. One of the categories was PCI graphics cards, so they might have some left.

Actually:

https://www.visiontek.com/refurbished/performance-graphics/visiontek-radeon-256mb-x1300-dms59-pci-graphics-card-detail.html

Also, a $9 400W PSU. Going to have to see who the OEM is. Might be able to use it on a cheapie build.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Actually:

https://www.visiontek.com/refurbished/performance-graphics/visiontek-radeon-256mb-x1300-dms59-pci-graphics-card-detail.html

Also, a $9 400W PSU. Going to have to see who the OEM is. Might be able to use it on a cheapie build.

a radeon x1300 for 35 bucks ... thats more like it, but it does not beat the 30 bucks GT 610