Motherboard Shorting? PCIe slot failing?

Go to solution Solved by Opencircuit74,
48 minutes ago, GangstaRas said:

Hi, recently my system has been acting a bit strange lately. Every time I start my system it proceeds to POST but then immediately shuts itself off and then tries again and again until it finally POSTs. I found out that it's something related to my GPU. When it happens, I notice that sometimes the motherboard picks up my GPU in the slot and sometimes it doesn't. I don't think the GPU itself is damaged in anyway because when things do boot, everything is stable, stress test in Furmark without issues, no artifacts, no shutdowns, no overheating, nothing. PSU was also ruled out by testing it with a DMM, the voltages are all within spec of 12v, 5v, and 3.3v at idle and under full load, plus it showed no signs of stability issues completely maxing out the system to draw max power from it. What could cause this problem why it immediately shuts down as its starts (starts then in 3 seconds it shuts off itself)? Motherboard shorting causes this?

System specs:

ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard

Intel Core i3 3240 @ stock

EVGA GTX 960 2GB SSC @ stock

8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM

Corsair CX430 PSU

I had this same problem with a mini itx build. I also thought it was the GPU. Can you try to run your rig without the GPU? Also try reinstalling  the standoff screws to the motherboard, as this was the problem with my build (Was not grounded) I was using a 1060, so the builds are sort of similar.

Hi, recently my system has been acting a bit strange lately. Every time I start my system it proceeds to POST but then immediately shuts itself off and then tries again and again until it finally POSTs. I found out that it's something related to my GPU. When it happens, I notice that sometimes the motherboard picks up my GPU in the slot and sometimes it doesn't. I don't think the GPU itself is damaged in anyway because when things do boot, everything is stable, stress test in Furmark without issues, no artifacts, no shutdowns, no overheating, nothing. PSU was also ruled out by testing it with a DMM, the voltages are all within spec of 12v, 5v, and 3.3v at idle and under full load, plus it showed no signs of stability issues completely maxing out the system to draw max power from it. What could cause this problem why it immediately shuts down as its starts (starts then in 3 seconds it shuts off itself)? Motherboard shorting causes this?

System specs:

8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM

Corsair CX430 PSU

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

48 minutes ago, GangstaRas said:

System specs:

8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM

Corsair CX430 PSU

I had this same problem with a mini itx build. I also thought it was the GPU. Can you try to run your rig without the GPU? Also try reinstalling  the standoff screws to the motherboard, as this was the problem with my build (Was not grounded) I was using a 1060, so the builds are sort of similar.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

13 hours ago, Opencircuit74 said:

I've uninstalled the GPU and found that the system POSTs perfectly no issues. My case is the kind that doesn't use motherboard standoffs, it has the raised platform underneath but I'll still lift out the motherboard and check, could also be dust causing issues in the back. I'll update if things work out

Thanks a ton for the input!

Turns out it was being shorted, the screws on the motherboard were all slack, especially the ones closest to the PCIe slot of the graphics card, tightening them did the trick! Thanks again :D

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply