NASA Plans To Explore A 10 Quintillion Dollar Asteroid That Could Cause The World's Economy To Collapse

FirstArmada
5 minutes ago, Garfieldus said:

Woudln't solve any debt because increased supply would drive the prices of metals in the asteroid down.

Well just sell them slowly then...

6 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Well just sell them slowly then...

That wouldn't solve debt problem either because after excluding extraction costs you won't be making much while also adding extra supply to already existing one which would create new, lower price equilibrium.

I don't think it would be worth it to harvest it?

Like rockets are exspensice, and you can't take the hole thing down to the earth in one piece either.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Mihle said:

I don't think it would be worth it to harvest it?

Like rockets are exspensice, and you can't take the hole thing down to the earth in one piece either.

It wouldn't be worth it to harvest if you're gonna bring it all back to Earth, no.  You can get iron way cheaper on Earth xD  But if you needed iron in space for some reason, harvesting this may be cheaper than launching our own.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Our future currency for the elites living up in space.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It wouldn't be worth it to harvest if you're gonna bring it all back to Earth, no.  You can get iron way cheaper on Earth xD  But if you needed iron in space for some reason, harvesting this may be cheaper than launching our own.

Yes, but then it wouldt affect the economy on earth much at all anyways :)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, Mihle said:

Yes, but then it wouldt affect the economy on earth much at all anyways :)

Hopefully by the time we can do anything meaningful in space, we'll have moved beyond what we have now to an economy that is unrecognizable to people of today.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:18 AM, Energycore said:

How is having better access to commodities and materiel actually lethal for the economy? Is our system that fragile? Am I missing something?

The moment something worth a hell of a lot more comes out......the economy would come close to crashing down on us.

Literally. Bringing this back to earth would either make everybody so rich that they can do anything they want or so poor that they can't do anything they want.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

So we make a massive BBQ out of the asteroid. a space BBQ!!! sod mining it.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The moment something worth a hell of a lot more comes out......the economy would come close to crashing down on us.

Literally. Bringing this back to earth would either make everybody so rich that they can do anything they want or so poor that they can't do anything they want.

How exactly would it make every one that rich?  I don't think it would even make the person/group who does it rich... they say it's worth that just because that's its mass multiplied by the current price of that material.  In reality, bringing it back, aside from the fact that it's almost impossible, would just completely tank the value of that material.  Sure there would be disruptions but it would hardly collapse the entire world economy.

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

How exactly would it make every one that rich?  I don't think it would even make the person/group who does it rich... they say it's worth that just because that's its mass multiplied by the current price of that material.  In reality, bringing it back, aside from the fact that it's almost impossible, would just completely tank the value of that material.  Sure there would be disruptions but it would hardly collapse the entire world economy.

It would devalue everything existing on earth basically.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

It would devalue everything existing on earth basically.

How?  Why?

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

How?  Why?

It would be the equivalent of having hyper inflation.

Introducing a ridiculous amount of money into any economy would really make the currency worth nothing.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

It would be the equivalent of having hyper inflation.

Introducing a ridiculous amount of money into any economy would really make the currency worth nothing.

but you're not introducing a ridiculous amount of money, or any amount.  It's just iron and some other rocks

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

but you're not introducing a ridiculous amount of money, or any amount.  It's just iron and some other rocks

Yes but with the amount there is, it is worth a fortune.

It would effectively be like bringing back 10 quintillion dollars from the moon.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It would effectively be like bringing back 10 quintillion dollars from the moon.

See that's the problem, it's not really.  Sure, if you could actually land the thing on earth and mine it in the conventional way, perhaps, but that's impossible.  There's no way to bring it down to ground level, and the cost of mining it in place is significant so it's not just like free cash.

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

See that's the problem, it's not really.  Sure, if you could actually land the thing on earth and mine it in the conventional way, perhaps, but that's impossible.  There's no way to bring it down to ground level, and the cost of mining it in place is significant so it's not just like free cash.

What's more likely is that Iron from the asteroid would be incredibly expensive, as it would be more expensive to mine the stuff from the Asteroid then it would to mine it from Earth.

Or rather, the price of Iron would likely stay the same, and by default, make the cost of extraction from the Asteroid simply unprofitable. I could see some short term fluctuations, but it should settle back down shortly.

Now, if somehow they could get that iron onto the ground, all at once? Yes. That would cause the price of Iron to hit rock bottom, and could do a lot of economic damage to countries that rely on Iron mining as a core part of their economy.

Countries that don't rely on Iron may see no economic issues at all, or might benefit from it.

Hard to say what the total end outcome might be globally.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

This thread is so click-bait it's not even funny. No matter what this asteroid will not make our economy collapse. 

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not exactly. I mean think to yourself, why is dirt not expensive? It's high in supply and pretty low in demand. Theoretically if we magically had that supply of iron pop onto the surface of Earth what would happen to iron? The supply of Iron increases dramatically, and demand starts to fall as everyone's demand for iron becomes satisfied. So what is the basic rule of economics? High supply and low demand = cost reductions. So that 10 quintillion might turn into a trillion. Which is a much better figure 

SPACE X will mine it

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

44 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Not exactly. I mean think to yourself, why is dirt not expensive? It's high in supply and pretty low in demand. Theoretically if we magically had that supply of iron pop onto the surface of Earth what would happen to iron? The supply of Iron increases dramatically, and demand starts to fall as everyone's demand for iron becomes satisfied. So what is the basic rule of economics? High supply and low demand = cost reductions. So that 10 quintillion might turn into a trillion. Which is a much better figure 

There are industries where the "supply" is "low" and demand is "high" only because the industry causes it to be that way. Diamonds, for example, are mined and then stored only so that a few (don't know the exact amount) percent can hit the market at any time.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 1/19/2017 at 6:09 PM, Dabombinable said:

2 words: Mars colony.

And soon, please.

I want off this rock. Maybe we can start a society on Mars where we don't elect only the least qualified and most corrupt people to run things (This is a statement about both parties)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

And soon, please.

I want off this rock. Maybe we can start a society on Mars where we don't elect only the least qualified and most corrupt people to run things (This is a statement about both parties)

A world there things that make sense are accepted rather than ignored?

Sounds good.  Will it have bacon?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2017 at 6:27 AM, Kierax said:

Sounds good.  Will it have bacon?

We can't allow there to be riots now, can we?