NASA Plans To Explore A 10 Quintillion Dollar Asteroid That Could Cause The World's Economy To Collapse

FirstArmada

The incredible lack of understanding of economics not withstanding, this kind of massive influx of raw material, in space, in say a geosynchronous orbit, would be a heck of a boon for future orbital shipyards.

OP your title is complete click bait. Please adjust it.

1 hour ago, FirstArmada said:

If it did, its value would play havoc with commodity prices and destroy the world's economy

Total BS. This would boost economic development in ways that we cannot imagine. You going over board here. The cost just to initiate such an endeavor would be huge. The technology to do this would have to be developed as obviously this would be the first time we have attempted such a thing. Just developing the tech to accomplish all this would be huge economic boon to any industries and the economy world wide. 

In terms of the ores being available and in reference to the commodities I would imagine it would handled as differently, for example, Terran commodities vs Sol space born commodities or such, I am sure someone would come up with a system to differentiate the two so as not to harm the current market. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

10 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Your not wrong. We can barely even get the energy to bring food, water and shelter to mars

Forget Mars, a good chunk of Earth's own population doesn't have those things.

Either way I think it might be possible to give it some calculated nudges to eventually get it into Earth's orbit, where mining it would be significantly more cost effective. Still, it wouldn't be nearly as easy as this sensationalist article would have you believe.

The guy they interviewed said NOTHING AT ALL about inflation being the concern, he simply said they currently have no plans to mine it, which makes perfect sense - NASA is a scientific endeavour, not a mining business.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Come on NASA. Build a star base that can process and refine ore and minerals in space for construction.

28 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

The incredible lack of understanding of economics not withstanding, this kind of massive influx of raw material, in space, in say a geosynchronous orbit, would be a heck of a boon for future orbital shipyards.

Did this with very simple math.. But in order to move that asteriod into a velocity high enough to have a geosynchronous orbit with earth, it would take 8.0112 *10^26 joules

The total consumption of energy that the people of Earth have used is 3.89 × 10^20 joules in 2013 Good luck man o.O 

Again, might be wrong on some variables, but it should be around that ballpark. Just to give you an idea of how much Energy it takes 

My gawd! Starcraft was right!

Details separate people.

14 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Did this with very simple math.. But in order to move that asteriod into a velocity high enough to have a geosynchronous orbit with earth, it would take 8.0112 *10^26 joules

The total consumption of energy that the people of Earth have used is 3.89 × 10^20 joules. Good luck man o.O 

Again, might be wrong on some variables, but it should be around that ballpark. Just to give you an idea of how much Energy it takes 

Did you calculate that with the assumption of a zero starting velocity, or did you account for the velocity that the asteroid orbit already has?

Depending on the orbit, all you have to do is give it some nudges now and then. You're not accelerating the asteroid from zero velocity.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, Wolther said:

The total consumption of energy that the people of Earth have used is 3.89 × 10^20 joules. Good luck man o.O 

But what about the length of time the energy was produced to move it? It would take years but its still possible-especially if fuels can be created using resources from the asteroid.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

23 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Forget Mars, a good chunk of Earth's own population doesn't have those things.

QFT

Before turning our megalomanous eyes at glorious projects for humatity, how about we focus on feeding it first. And while we're at it, make sure we don't have a barren wasteland of an Earth by the time we're starting to live elsewhere, a'la Wall-E.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Did you calculate that with the assumption of a zero starting velocity, or did you account for the velocity that the asteroid orbit already has?

Depending on the orbit, all you have to do is give it some nudges now and then. You're not accelerating the asteroid from zero velocity.

Was from Zero, now that you mention it though, the asteriod would have to be slowed down. Its average orbital speed is 17.34 km/s. In which if you nudged it towards Earth it would fly (or wrap slightly around then go on a straight path elsewhere) past it unless you reduced its speed to 11 km/s, which is the escape velocity of Earth. 

Given the mass is 2.27×10^19 kg the energy to do that is very high, still. 

I'm sure with very advanced calculations and planning you could use gravity from other bodies of mass to slow it down, it does have to go past mars atleast. I don't feel like looking at its orbit and figuring it out atm though 

17 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

But what about the length of time the energy was produced to move it? It would take years but its still possible-especially if fuels can be created using resources from the asteroid.

I haven't been able to find any sources that give me a composition that has fuel that we're able to use. The majority of it is 90% iron, there's no living creatures on it (so obviously no fossil fuels). Geothermal probably not, since the surface is white-colored, so it reflects a lot of the light, therefore it's not really hot 

34 minutes ago, Energycore said:

QFT

Before turning our megalomanous eyes at glorious projects for humatity, how about we focus on feeding it first. And while we're at it, make sure we don't have a barren wasteland of an Earth by the time we're starting to live elsewhere, a'la Wall-E.

They're not going to eat iron ore, and they're not going to get the jobs they need to feed themselves without economic development.  The kind of development that "glorious projects for humanity" can create.

:edit: sorry i didn't get further than your first sentence before snapping a reply (kids & dinner took my attention)

26 minutes ago, Energycore said:

QFT

The prospect of a this "glorious projects for humatity" will create the economic boon that will essentially provide the jobs and food required. Hell, look at the Hoover Dam project and what it created, a whole town to provide the industrial base and economic needs to facilitate the work and flow of workers. Panama Cannal, NASA's space race and on and on .... Getting a bit ahead of yourself dont you think? Projects such as this create it own infrastructure because it provides the need for such an infrastructure. The poor an jobless (if they so chose to and this the important part) will flock to such jobs as these.

12 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

They're not going to eat iron ore, and they're not going to get the jobs they need to feed themselves without economic development.  The kind of development that "glorious projects for humanity" can create.

If i read correctly I agree.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

The prospect of a this "glorious projects for humatity" will create the economic boon that will essentially provide the jobs and food required. Hell, look at the Hoover Dam project and what it created, a whole town to provide the industrial base and economic needs to facilitate the work and flow of workers. Panama Cannal, NASA's space race and on and on .... Getting a bit ahead of yourself dont you think?

Mining an asteroid for reources to use outside of earth is an enticing idea, and I fully support doing it, but I would rather we solved the problem of feeding, clothing and providing medicine to 7 billion people first, and stopping the population growth while we're at it. If mining this asteroid would help provide for the people, I'm all for that.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Mining an asteroid for reources to use outside of earth is an enticing idea, and I fully support doing it, but I would rather we solved the problem of feeding, clothing and providing medicine to 7 billion people first, and stopping the population growth while we're at it. If mining this asteroid would help provide for the people, I'm all for that.

The opportunity such as this would, IMO, provide a what I am going to coin the second space race where humanity begins to have a common presence in space, living and colonizing. The ore alone with provide the ability now to create space stations and ships of proper size and usefulness. We are limited in our ability to make stations of large size because of the difficulty to move the required material to space from earth. The prospect of mining asteroids has been an idea for about 50+ years now.

If the space race initially had not tapered off after the moon landings we would be occupying space now, IMO. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Listen lads idc if it's for the economy or future endeavors in extraterrestrial projects,
I only care about the fact this giant space turd holds value to us and we utilize it's resources for something, if we are able to do so.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

40 minutes ago, Energycore said:

QFT

It'd be even more useful if we didn't have simultaneous occurrences of obesity and starvation... Back to the asteroid though, why not use KSP to model how everything would work? I mean, some company is using GTA V or whatever to model automated driving :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

It'd be even more useful if we didn't have simultaneous occurrences of obesity and starvation... Back to the asteroid though, why not use KSP to model how everything would work? I mean, some company is using GTA V or whatever to model automated driving :P

Oh god are they really?  

theend.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh god are they really?  

Sadly, its true xD

13313th post... what a nice number. 

This would almost be like bringing that diamond the size of a small moon near earth.. (yes that's a thing). Value of diamonds would go all the way down, but it wouldn't exactly break the economy. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Sadly, its true xD

Well at least they'll be good at offensive defensive driving :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

This would almost be like bringing that diamond the size of a small moon near earth.. (yes that's a thing). Value of diamonds would go all the way down, but it wouldn't exactly break the economy. 

Nah de beers would just buy it and hide it and it wouldn't affect anything :ph34r:

2 hours ago, EminentSun said:

Depression HYPE!!!!!!!

Either you mean economic depression or collision depression... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

I mean they could just pull it into orbit and slowly mine it out, giving more metals and such over a much longer period of time whilst keeping it secret, therefore the economy wouldn't die. But hey, what do I know as a 16 yr old? xD

I mean, when your other options are 1) Leave it be, or 2) slam it into the earth all at once, slowly mining it is likely the way they'd have to go about it, if you really wanted to obtain the resources on that asteroid.

Oh more people trying to cause panic. If there was a viable way to bring it back it would probably help the economy. When gas prices go down more people travel, people buy more things, the economy goes up. When gas prices skyrocket everyone stays home and we wonder why the economy sucks. Bring this thing home and we can see prices go down, products become cheaper, people buy a lot more. The economy wins.