best adapter

Thomas1

hi,

im going you pout up a projector, unfortunately, due to the pricing i am not able to buy a newer projector and so am stuck with a VGA input projector,

i want to connect the projector to my desktop, the graphics card i am using (GTX 960)  has dvi-i (in use) hdmi and display port 1.2, what would be the fastest cable to use in conjunction with the  projector (i need 10m of cable to reach the projector):

1. display port to VGA
2. VGA to VGA
3. HDMI to VGA

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

If you can free up the DVI-I port, just a DVI-I to VGA adaptor. 

If you can't, then either DP to VGA or HDMI to VGA is fine, they'll perform the exact same. Keep in mind you'll need an active adaptor for HDMI or DP to VGA. 

how do i know the difference between active and non-active adapters? I can only find what appear to be non-active ones as there doesn't seem to be power going to them? i would have thought it be powered by usb or something?

26 minutes ago, Thomas1 said:

how do i know the difference between active and non-active adapters? I can only find what appear to be non-active ones as there doesn't seem to be power going to them? i would have thought it be powered by usb or something?

Not all active adapters require a separate power cable, some connectors (like DisplayPort) can deliver a small amount of power inline, so low power adapters (like DisplayPort to VGA) don't need USB power.

Whether it's active or not just depends on the type of plugs in use. HDMI and DisplayPort don't support passive VGA adapters, so they will always be active. DVI-I to VGA adapters are passive.

DVI-I to VGA is the best option, but if you can't free up that port then DisplayPort to VGA is the next best option.

Do any PCIe 2.0 or PCI VGA expansion cards exist,  I've had a look myself and i can only find serial port cards, not sure if these will work

11 minutes ago, Thomas1 said:

Do any PCIe 2.0 or PCI VGA expansion cards exist,  I've had a look myself and i can only find serial port cards, not sure if these will work

That's totally unnecessary, just use a DisplayPort to VGA adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00Z08TZNU/