Noctua D16?

SpartanAmy107

Is it coming? Are they waiting for Ryzen too? I want to at least get a single part for my new computer.

I can't even get a case yet, as not sure if ITX or m-ATX motherboards will be available for Ryzen on launch... But I digress.

Has anyone heard anything from Noctua? Insider knowledge, spies, testing leaks?

Just now, TheRandomness said:

They've had various prototypes at all the tech shows, but nothing has cropped up so far...

Well, that is something at least...

Probably not soon, i mean iirc there are a few years between the NH-D14 and the NH-D15 and it's not exactly a big improvement.

Just get the NH-D15, if they release a newer one in a few years the difference would be barely measureable at best unless they figure out something amazing.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

Probably not soon, i mean iirc there are a few years between the NH-D14 and the NH-D15 and it's not exactly a big improvement.

Just get the NH-D15, if they release a newer one in a few years the difference would be barely measureable at best unless they figure out something amazing.

Do you know if the D15 supports the Ryzen socket?

1 minute ago, SpartanAmy107 said:

I imagine they will release mounting hardware to make it compatible but I don't think it does as of now.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

If the NH-D15 you get doesn't come with AM4 mounting brackets just contact noctua.

You can request AM4 mounting stuff for free! As long as you can prove you bought one :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 hours ago, samcool55 said:

If the NH-D15 you get doesn't come with AM4 mounting brackets just contact noctua.

You can request AM4 mounting stuff for free! As long as you can prove you bought one :P

Oh wow, didn't know that that was a thing. Only problem with the Noctua D15/14, are the hideous looking fans. but apparently they can be swapped out. They might be good but the colour is freaking awful.

Making such a cooler would be oddly specific.

The NH-D15 uses NF-A15's which are essentially NF-A14's with a different frame. A 160mm fan would probably have to be designed on it's own just for the cooler as opposed to adapting an existing model.

A fan of that size would also mean a very tall cooler. The NH-D15 has a 160mm tall heatsink and fits in most cases because 160mm is the unofficial height for tall tower coolers and the usual clearance provided by cases.

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 hours ago, SpartanAmy107 said:

Doesn't matter, Noctua sends brackets for free when a new socket comes out. All you have to do is contact their amazing customer service. 

Just now, Mooshi said:

Doesn't matter, Noctua sends brackets for free when a new socket comes out. All you have to do is contact their amazing customer service. 

Yeah, I just learnt of that, didn't know such a service existed.

8 minutes ago, SpartanAmy107 said:

Yeah, I just learnt of that, didn't know such a service existed.

Noctua legit has the best CS I ever experienced with a tech company. 

16 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Noctua legit has the best CS I ever experienced with a tech company. 

Are their other products as good as their CPU coolers?

56 minutes ago, SpartanAmy107 said:

Are their other products as good as their CPU coolers?

They only make cooling products as far as I know and they're pretty legendary for that.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

25 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

They only make cooling products as far as I know and they're pretty legendary for that.

They don't make any fans larger than 140mm. So no 200mm for my Core V21 which is my most likely case for Ryzen.

They don't make any fans larger than 140mm. So no 200mm for my Core V21 which is my most likely case for Ryzen.

200mm's were announced a few years ago but keep getting delayed. From what I've read, they should come out in Q1 or Q2 this year if they don't get delayed again.

9 hours ago, SpartanAmy107 said:

Yes, check my news post here: :D 

It supported. 

Magical Pineapples

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

200mm's were announced a few years ago but keep getting delayed. From what I've read, they should come out in Q1 or Q2 this year if they don't get delayed again.

That is... Suspiciously convenient. 

11 minutes ago, SpartanAmy107 said:

That is... Suspiciously convenient. 

Eh, I'm not getting my hopes up again. My bet is that they'll be delayed again.

7 hours ago, SpartanAmy107 said:

Oh wow, didn't know that that was a thing. Only problem with the Noctua D15/14, are the hideous looking fans. but apparently they can be swapped out. They might be good but the colour is freaking awful.

Yeah they can be swapped out, but tbh if you really want to do that the only worthy option is the noctua industrial fans they have, they are black, expensive AF but they are really about as good as it's going to get. 

I agree with the love-hate color scheme they have going on tho. Or maybe you can get some LTT limited edition fans, they are also expensive and rare tho :/ I think you can't even get them anymore.

12 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Yeah they can be swapped out, but tbh if you really want to do that the only worthy option is the noctua industrial fans they have, they are black, expensive AF but they are really about as good as it's going to get. 

I agree with the love-hate color scheme they have going on tho. Or maybe you can get some LTT limited edition fans, they are also expensive and rare tho :/ I think you can't even get them anymore.

iPPC's aren't worth getting unless the extra robustness is needed or acoustics don't matter much. They aren't as quiet as the normal models even at the same rpm. 

If you need black fans, you might as well get a different cooler in the first place since there are similar heatsinks available. A major strength of noctua coolers are the included fans and there's little point to replacing them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2017 at 9:23 PM, SpartanAmy107 said:

If the color really bothers you just get a Phanteks.  Their performance is nearly identical and they come in different colors.

On 20.1.2017 at 0:01 AM, SpartanAmy107 said:

Yep they will, Noctua will ship AM4 mounting brackets for free (you need a pic with date and name as a prove of onage or the bill from the Noctua cooler, all cooler excluding the NH-L9i are compatible).

Actually most cooler manufacturers ship them for free or for a small obolus. Cryorig, Noctua, bequiet! (may contact support) ship them for free I heard Cooler Master and Thermalright sell them. In some cases even the old brackets fit with ease the difference is marginal between the AM3 and AM4 screw positions.

PS:Since  AM4 brackets are more or less the same as the AM3's it's likly that it's easy to mod them, too.

And for informations about the motherboars ... biostar confirmed at least 2 mini-ITX AM4 motherboars with 7+ VRM phases, which is not bad. 

one source for that, there is another source with more pics and detail but it's in Thai only.

Some other motherboard manufacturers confirmed ITX motherboards aswell (I think Asrock and MSI)