DisplayPort suddenly not working.

TPC3D
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,
5 minutes ago, TPC3D said:

Basically the title. Been using DisplayPort since I got this new monitor. Yesterday I woke my computer from sleep, and the display was at as wonky resolution so I hit "Restart" from within the Windows 10 lockscreen. After that, it wouldn't turn on - I'd get just a "No Signal" thing on the monitor. It took some fiddling, but I finally got it working via an HDMI cable. When I plug in the DisplayPort cable into the same monitor the HDMI is currently plugged into(ASUS MG248Q - 1080p 144hz), windows detects it as an 800x600 monitor. Switching to the DisplayPort input on the monitor just yields a "No Signal" kind of thing.

I don't have another monitor, cable, or graphics card to test this out with. This is my first 1080p monitor, my first monitor with HDMI, let alone with DP. Got it on Black Friday, started using it Christmas day. Graphics card is an R9 380, Sapphire Nitro variant. Prior to using this monitor, I was using an HDMI to DVI adapter for my old monitor from 2008. Currently using the DisplayPort cable that came with this monitor. Already tried reinstalling my current drivers and installing the latest ones - same results on both.

So, what do you guys think is the problem? Dead card? Broken Cable? Broken Monitor?

Thanks!

Try disconnecting the monitor from power for a minute to reset it.

Basically the title. Been using DisplayPort since I got this new monitor. Yesterday I woke my computer from sleep, and the display was at as wonky resolution so I hit "Restart" from within the Windows 10 lockscreen. After that, it wouldn't turn on - I'd get just a "No Signal" thing on the monitor. It took some fiddling, but I finally got it working via an HDMI cable. When I plug in the DisplayPort cable into the same monitor the HDMI is currently plugged into(ASUS MG248Q - 1080p 144hz), windows detects it as an 800x600 monitor. Switching to the DisplayPort input on the monitor just yields a "No Signal" kind of thing.

I don't have another monitor, cable, or graphics card to test this out with. This is my first 1080p monitor, my first monitor with HDMI, let alone with DP. Got it on Black Friday, started using it Christmas day. Graphics card is an R9 380, Sapphire Nitro variant. Prior to using this monitor, I was using an HDMI to DVI adapter for my old monitor from 2008. Currently using the DisplayPort cable that came with this monitor. Already tried reinstalling my current drivers and installing the latest ones - same results on both.

So, what do you guys think is the problem? Dead card? Broken Cable? Broken Monitor?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, TPC3D said:

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

THIS FIXED IT! THANKS YOU SO MUCH!

If I may ask, do you know how this occurred/how to avoid it in the future?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

Not sure, it just happens sometimes with DisplayPort.

Interesting. Good to know.

Thanks again! :D

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2017 at 3:14 AM, Glenwing said:

I just signed up to this website to thank you. I just went and bought a new displayport cable, tinkering with settings, remote desktop and whatnot. And finally what worked was so freakin' simple. Thanks a lot!

• 1 month later...

I also signed up just to say thank you. I was about to purchase an HDMI -> Display Port adapter and/or RMA the monitor... disconnected it one minute and bam, works!

I am now really, really curious on how this could be happening - have had this monitor since almost 3 years and never had a problem!

• 3 months later...
On 1/19/2017 at 5:24 PM, Glenwing said:

Not sure, it just happens sometimes with DisplayPort.

I also signed up to thank you. I've searched for 40 minutes with no luck. I can't believe this same advice wasn't discovered sooner from a search. I've been reading advice on cables, monitors, and bios settings before bumping into this. Anyways, I'm really surprised this fixed it, not sure how, but all that matters is that it worked. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/1/2017 at 11:14 PM, Glenwing said:

I signed up to thank you as well, I was scared my graphics card was fried untill i tried HDMI and it worked.

Taking the power off my monitor solved the problem, against my expectations.

Thanks again.