980ti SLI vs 1080

elliot447

i was thinking about getting a new 980ti to run sli with my current one, however i have started to consider a single 1080, as i would need a new motherboard and PSU to run SLI. any suggestions? also if 1080, which version should i get? thanks in advance

MSI GAMING X 1080

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

2 minutes ago, elliot447 said:

i was thinking about getting a new 980ti to run sli with my current one, however i have started to consider a single 1080, as i would need a new motherboard and PSU to run SLI. any suggestions? also if 1080, which version should i get? thanks in advance

1080 Xtreme Gaming (imo)

i hear a lot about vega, can someone explain it to me?

Tbh I would wait for the 1080ti or something good from amd. The 1080 doesn't seem like enough of an upgrade to warrant spending 600 dollars. 

The general rule is: get the best single GPU you can get. 980ti will be better than a single 1080 in most titles but especially if you'd have to upgrade quite a lot of other parts as well, you'd probably not get a good value. As for what is the best 1080 to get: That depends on what colour your build is. If you want a neutral coloured GPU for something like an RGB build, the EVGA 1080 FTW or Asus ROG 1080 Strix are really nice options. If you don't really care for looks (or have a red colour scheme going on) EVGA 1080 Classified or MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X are really nice (cooler on the MSI model is AMAZING). Other very nice offerings are the Xtreme gaming from gigabyte or the Amp Extreme from Zotac, although I really hate the looks of those.

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

i wanted something just incase my 980ti cant handle games at 1440p 144hz

1 minute ago, elliot447 said:

Vega is a new architecture that amd is coming out with to compete with nvidias high end gpus. 

5 minutes ago, elliot447 said:

Vega is the new GPU generation from AMD. It's the successor to the current Polaris line of cards (RX 480, 470, 460) and is rumoured to be able to compete with higher tier pascal cards (GTX 1080, 1070)

WHIPLASH

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Vega is a new architecture that amd is coming out with to compete with nvidias high end gpus. 

ok thanks is there an expected release period?

1 minute ago, elliot447 said:

I think they said sometime this year. Maybe the first or second quarter? 

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I think they said sometime this year. Maybe the first or second quarter? 

ah ok thanks! i shall look out for it 

3 minutes ago, elliot447 said:

Should drop either in Q1 or Q2 of this year. I think I have read some rumours about a release just before Computex which would be in May.

WHIPLASH

7 minutes ago, toasty6776 said:

Should drop either in Q1 or Q2 of this year. I think I have read some rumours about a release just before Computex which would be in May.

ah perfect for a birthday present then xD

2 minutes ago, elliot447 said:

ah perfect for a birthday present then xD

Do wait for benchmarks on those cards first, though! Considering the greatness that is Polaris (depending on who you ask) Vega should be really good, but you never know.

WHIPLASH

I actually am in this same situation, except that I have the 2 980ti's already. I haven't found a use for both of them yet, and am actually looking to sell both for a 1080. So if you want my advice, keep 980ti until 1080ti can be preordered, and I believe I read about a thing that lets people with 980tis preorder the 1080ti before others. So that's my advice, but I'm not too smart, so take it with a grain of salt.

7 minutes ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

I actually am in this same situation, except that I have the 2 980ti's already. I haven't found a use for both of them yet, and am actually looking to sell both for a 1080. So if you want my advice, keep 980ti until 1080ti can be preordered, and I believe I read about a thing that lets people with 980tis preorder the 1080ti before others. So that's my advice, but I'm not too smart, so take it with a grain of salt.

AH yeah i believe i have heard that also 

10 minutes ago, toasty6776 said:

Do wait for benchmarks on those cards first, though! Considering the greatness that is Polaris (depending on who you ask) Vega should be really good, but you never know.

ok thanks will do. btw do you know what the fastest 1080 is? so far the Zotac AMP extreme is looking like a beast 

1080, I doubt there will be a 1080 ti. And if there is it better be more powerful then the new vega gpus, if there are good.

The geek himself.

The fastest as in clock speeds is really dependent on luck of the draw. Pretty much every premium 1080 will go past about 2050MHz and maybe even higher but once you get into the real high end (2120+Mhz) it really comes down to silicon lottery. Jayztwocents (whom you really should check out on youtube) actually found that Founders editions (when water cooled) performed best amongst almost all of the 1080s he tested. If you stick to air cooling, it's basically (as I said) luck of the draw, as long as you get the premium model of the respective manufacturer. The Amp extreme might have the beefiest cooler, (which should yield you higher clock speeds due to how GPU Boost works) but still lose to a Gaming X because the actual GPU chip gets unstable above a certain clock speed.

WHIPLASH

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

1080, I doubt there will be a 1080 ti. And if there is it better be more powerful then the new vega gpus, if there are good.

i doubt there won't be a 1080ti they had information leaked about 980ti owners being able to preorder 1080tis before everyone else. that is a pretty good evidence that there will be a 1080ti.