Best Type C Dongles for Mac & PC

nicklmg

It's the year of the dongle, folks. Are you ready for your not-so-wireless futures to begin?

Buy Juiced Systems dongle on Amazon: http://geni.us/Y03sdQB
Buy G-Ting dongle on Amazon: http://geni.us/DBcLEFk
Buy MOKiN dongle on Amazon: http://geni.us/AKxV
Buy AUKEY dongle on Amazon: http://geni.us/i84E

Buy QheTrend dongle on Amazon: http://geni.us/BHq8p6g
Buy Lanbo dongle on Amazon: http://geni.us/IGeaLv
Buy HooToo dongle on Amazon: http://geni.us/mGg4k

Had to click through all the link to make sure you did not make another mistake lol

The phrases:

Hey bro, can I borrow your dongle.

and

hey! Look at this 6-foot dongle I just got!

will be widely used this year.

cant wait.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

I expect a dongle song from LMG this year

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

Think you guys could pick up one of the plugable docks for review? They seem pretty sweet

http://plugable.com/products/ud-ultcdl/

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Top comment on youtube from the gentleman SenorSwagBuns,

"Dongle ur balls on my face plz linus"

Hm, seems like the "donglebook" macbook pro isn't looking too bad now-a-day.

HMMMMMMMM.... It's funny how only apple has been criticized for making a computer rely completely on dongles, yet no one criticized any other company.

INTERESTING.

Hypocritical bastards. 

I also bet that if it was the mac who performed worse in the USB tests, there would have been more of a stink raised about it.

is it just me or is he talking quite slow?

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Why no elaboration on the seemingly improved performance on OSX ? 

"The Juiced Hub... ...is a compact, one-piece solution that saves me from carrying additional dongles"

Great to know which one is reliable and works well since there's no standard for what flows through USB Type-C connectors. However, I have a concern to bring up regarding consumer choice going forward with new technology, and I'm not trying to troll here at all - this is 100% a serious question.

What happens when consumers are forced to live a dongle life because no manufacturer makes devices with inputs/outputs built in anymore? At least we have a choice now, but one day, we won't be given the option.

Think about it. Think hard about it. Think about uncrackable hardware based encryption being built into the ports, controlled by the manufacturer, that forces the consumer to purchase compatible dongles from the manufacturer at a price that sits far above their bottom line cost. It's going to happen on more devices than the select HP or Apple products currently out today, and when it does, are we going to be OK with being gouged anywhere from $80-$300 just for a dongle that includes things that used to come with our $2000+ laptops?

Please, discuss, and as I said, this is no troll post - I'm being deadly serious. I'm not talking about current-day laptops, where we still have the choice of buying a Razer Blade / MacBook Pro with only USB Type-C or a Dell XPS 15 with additional ports built in. The day we buy cars with their engine hoods welded shut at the factory is coming, just like the day we won't be able to purchase computers without other standards built in is coming too.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Hm, seems like the "donglebook" macbook pro isn't looking too bad now-a-day.

HMMMMMMMM.... It's funny how only apple has been criticized for making a computer rely completely on dongles, yet no one criticized any other company.

INTERESTING.

Hypocritical bastards. 

I also bet that if it was the mac who performed worse in the USB tests, there would have been more of a stink raised about it.

Apple is heavily criticized because they offer no mobile product lines with conventional IO, and they don't offer any dongles with their devices.

With the PC manufacturers, they offer multiple mobile product lines with conventional IO that is supplemented with USB-C/TB3, and they often put a dongle in with their USB-C/TB-3 exclusive machines.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I've been looking into these because I have a blade 1060 with a thunderbolt 3 port. The problem I have is that in order to get my devices to function I have to plug in:

• power
  • hdmi
  • usb 3 hub on the monitor
    • usb mic (fails to power often)
    • keyboard with hub
  • external usb 3 5TB drive (doesn't work on the hub)

So I've been eyeing the Razer Core as a dock do I can just plug in the power and thunderbolt but $500 is a lot and the only gpu I have lying around is a gtx 770. Is there a thunderbolt docking station on the market with:

• ethernet
  • displayport (or dual hdmi)
  • plenty of usb3 ports

that would be a much better deal on price?

If I were to instead buy a usb c dock with these features would they be able to handle the data for an ultrawide display and the ports?

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Apple is heavily criticized because they offer no mobile product lines with conventional IO, and they don't offer any dongles with their devices.

With the PC manufacturers, they offer multiple mobile product lines with conventional IO that is supplemented with USB-C/TB3, and they often put a dongle in with their USB-C/TB-3 exclusive machines.

And yet other notebook manufacturers are heading the same way, getting rid of conventional IO.Will the next company who finally takes the plunge be as criticized as apple? No, because eventually we won't need adapters. We'll have thunderbolt or usb c flash drives, and we already have cables that you can use for monitors for them. The only one that can't really be changed is Ethernet and... well.. it's a laptop... meant to be used on wifi so....

Let it be known that Apple was ahead of the curve on this one. Yet no one here will ever admit that.

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

And yet other notebook manufacturers are heading the same way, getting rid of conventional IO.Will the next company who finally takes the plunge be as criticized as apple? No, because eventually we won't need adapters. We'll have thunderbolt or usb c flash drives, and we already have cables that you can use for monitors for them. The only one that can't really be changed is Ethernet and... well.. it's a laptop... meant to be used on wifi so....

Let it be known that Apple was ahead of the curve on this one. Yet no one here will ever admit that.

Other notebook manufacturers are not heading the same way. They're adding product to meet the thin and light market that was predominately dirt cheat garbage, not modifying current products (and they certainly aren't claiming it's to save space unless those other connectors will not fit, and they add the other connectors if they do).

Fuck, Acer just dashed in the opposite direction with the Predator 21X desktop replacement. MSI, ASUS, Lenovo, and Dell shown no signs of ditching conventional IO any time soon either. Same with Gigabyte, Asrock, BioStar, and every other mainboard manufacturer that serves an mITX board or larger.

Apple is not ahead of the curve with going Type-C exclusively, they're telling consumers to fuck themselves by requiring them to buy adapters or new equipment entirely. There is little advantage to having every port do everything in theory (not in practice), and that doesn't outweigh the costs that licensing TB3 and DP carries. It also just adds a point of confusion for Joe average consumer when TB3 and USB-C ports are identical, and he doesn't know that TB3 devices won't work on USB 3.1.

Type-C is a supplementary port, not a viable replacement for the various ports in use today, especially when those ports are used to prohibit attempts of using the incorrect devices on them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Other notebook manufacturers are not heading the same way. They're adding product to meet the thin and light market that was predominately dirt cheat garbage, not modifying current products (and they certainly aren't claiming it's to save space unless those other connectors will not fit, and they add the other connectors if they do).

Fuck, Acer just dashed in the opposite direction with the Predator 21X desktop replacement. MSI, ASUS, Lenovo, and Dell shown no signs of ditching conventional IO any time soon either. Same with Gigabyte, Asrock, BioStar, and every other mainboard manufacturer that serves an mITX board or larger.

Apple is not ahead of the curve with going Type-C exclusively, they're telling consumers to fuck themselves by requiring them to buy adapters or new equipment entirely. There is little advantage to having every port do everything in theory (not in practice), and that doesn't outweigh the costs that licensing TB3 and DP carries. It also just adds a point of confusion for Joe average consumer when TB3 and USB-C ports are identical, and he doesn't know that TB3 devices won't work on USB 3.1.

Type-C is a supplementary port, not a viable replacement for the various ports in use today, especially when those ports are used to prohibit attempts of using the incorrect devices on them.

Where has apple advertised it's laptop as "desktop replacements?" 

I'd like to see that.

I'm pretty sure their laptops are advertised as "thin, light, and portable."

Apple does not make a fat desktop replacement laptops. They never have, and probably never will. Even the earliest macbook and macbook pros had heat issues that made them not suitable for desktop replacements. That's not their market.

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Where has apple advertised it's laptop as "desktop replacements?" 

You insinuated that laptop manufacturers are going to try to do away with conventional IO.

I countered by informing you that Acer, a laptop manufacturer quick to jump on a bandwagon, went in the opposite direction of Apple. Instead of making an ultrathin (and ultra compromising and breakable) PoS, they made a laptop that packs the hardware to literally replace a higher end Z170 desktop without compromising performance or thermals. I followed up by listing a few manufacturers that also sell high end laptops that can replace medium end desktops quite well.

Hell, the manufacturers with thin devices that only have USB-C/TB3 are still making more conventional laptops eagerly, showing no signs of stopping.

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I'm pretty sure their laptops are advertised as "thin, light, and portable."

That's 100% possible with the conventional IO, of other laptops. I'd hardly consider Dell's 13" Inspiron 7000 2-in-1 laptops "thick, heavy, and stationary," and they're packing USB-A and HDMI.

4 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Even the earliest macbook and macbook pros had heat issues that made them not suitable for desktop replacements.

They're not suitable as laptop replacements either. Expensive toys, yes, but anything more is a stretch.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

23 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Because the end goal is something like this. 

IMG_0626.JPG

And not that hydra's nest of adaptors everyone seems hellbent on over exaggerating. 

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:53 PM, abazigal said:

Because the end goal is something like this. 

IMG_0626.JPG

And not that hydra's nest of adaptors everyone seems hellbent on over exaggerating. 

Except that involves reinvesting in the USB-C counterpart to every USB-A device or still purchasing adapters, and if anyone has been paying attention to Apple's iPhone 7 and their AirPods, the end goal is to make a system where you have to buy more accessories, which surprisingly, is hard to do on USB-A.

Type-C is largely USELESS as a USB-A and DisplayPort/ mDP replacement for most devices. It's a supplementary port at best.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so now that the juiced systems dongle seems to be off amazon... whats the best option