Help me choose monitor

Eguun
Go to solution Solved by aithos,
2 hours ago, Aereldor said:

For games like Dota 2 and The Witcher 3, a 1440p IPS monitor may be preferable. A GTX 1070 isn't exactly capable of running triple-A titles at over 60FPS at 1440p. What I'd recommend for those two games is this 1440p Ultrawide IPS monitor.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/FWDzK8/aoc-monitor-u3477pqu

Yes it is.  If my SLI 780ti's can run 1440p at 120hz with well over 60fps in *MOST* games then a 1070 can too since they should be relatively similar in performance.  Not to mention that a good 1070 will have double the VRAM and perform significantly better in any game that SLI doesn't work very well.  For AAA titles you can use GSync or *gasp* you can turn down some of the less important settings a *TINY* bit.  Besides, if you're getting a monitor it's likely going to LONG outlive the GPU so it's better to get something the GPU can do adequately but that the next build you make will take full advantage of.

TLDR: don't buy your monitor based on the couple single-player games that have excessive eye-candy.  Buy it based on what you mostly play and what long term will be the better buy for your next two builds.  That's 1440p 144hz, IPS if you can swing it but don't compromise on the resolution or refresh rate for it.

Hi guys i need a monitor recomendation i play all kind of games but mostly dota2 after i finish all triple A games like witcher3 etc. sometimes i work with photoshop and autocad. But mostly for games. My rig is 1070 msi gaming x with 4790k. Im looking to buy s2417dg dell monitor with g sync cuz its not too expensive.my budget is round 500$. Any recommendations are great.

If you don't want g-sync then the AOC Agon line-up is cheaper. And have you thought about UltraWide?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe" ~ Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Ditch that dell- the Asus ROG SWIFT PG248Q is cheaper and 180Hz.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/pHGj4D/asus-rog-swift-pg248q-240-180hz-monitor-rog-swift-pg248q

That's cuz it's 1080p and above 144Hz is unnoticeable anyway, (Or so better minds than me say).

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe" ~ Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

is it worth going from 1440p to 1080p for that

For 180Hz? No. And the Dell overclocks to 165Hz

Well i saw the PG248Q and its a tn monitor same as the dell one and its 1080p. I would like good ips monitor,4k something that tn monitor lacks like quantam dot like that any recommendations.

11 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

is it worth going from 1440p to 1080p for that

A GTX 1070 can't handle a 165Hz refresh rate at 1440p. It'll be stretched pretty thin at 1080p 180Hz anyway.

5 minutes ago, Eguun said:

Well i saw the PG248Q and its a tn monitor same as the dell one and its 1080p. I would like good ips monitor,4k something that tn monitor lacks like quantam dot like that any recommendations.

If you want IPS and G-Sync, you'll have to pay a serious premium.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/scM323/aoc-ag271qg-270-165hz-monitor-ag271qg

7 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

A GTX 1070 can't handle a 165Hz refresh rate at 1440p. It'll be stretched pretty thin at 1080p 180Hz anyway.

For games like Dota2 (his/her main game) and programs like photoshop, I don't see how the 1080p 180hz is better. Only in the Witcher would it make some sense.

3 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

For games like Dota2 (his/her main game) and programs like photoshop, I don't see how the 1080p 180hz is better. Only in the Witcher would it make some sense.

For games like Dota 2 and The Witcher 3, a 1440p IPS monitor may be preferable. A GTX 1070 isn't exactly capable of running triple-A titles at over 60FPS at 1440p. What I'd recommend for those two games is this 1440p Ultrawide IPS monitor.

5 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

yeah, sounds like a better choice

With Photoshop, AutoCAD and games like Dota2 and Witcher 3 being the main points you'd honestly do much better with a quality IPS monitor.

8 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I wouldn't pair a GTX 1070 with a ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor which doesn't have a g-sync to compensate the low fps he'd be getting with triple-A games. Ultrawide 1440p > 1440p, that's 3440x1440 and 2560x1440p. Also the OP might not want to do all the required tweaking on games that comes with the 21:9 aspect ratio.

12 minutes ago, Edea said:

I wouldn't pair a GTX 1070 with a ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor which doesn't have a g-sync to compensate the low fps he'd be getting with triple-A games. Ultrawide 1440p > 1440p, that's 3440x1440 and 2560x1440p. Also the OP might not want to do all the required tweaking on games that comes with the 21:9 aspect ratio.

Sure, although I believe Ultrawide offers a more immersive gaming experience, and having a more colour-accurate IPS panel will help him/her with Photoshop. As for performance;

I daresay antialiasing will be unnecessary at this resolution. Given that and more recent drivers, expect improved performance over that.

Guys thankyou for the recommendation and im loving this community. I know that i cant run triple A games at 144hz and I thought that was the reason i will go for gsync rather than cheaper 144hz monitors.with gsync i heard even st 50fps was smooth. And what do you think is the best ips monitor that looks beautiful for my second monitor i dont need more hz or less response time etc. preferably 4k.

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

Sure, although I believe Ultrawide offers a more immersive gaming experience, and having a more colour-accurate IPS panel will help him/her with Photoshop. As for performance;

I daresay antialiasing will be unnecessary at this resolution. Given that and more recent drivers, expect improved performance over that.

It does offer a more immersive gaming experience indeed, when it works. Ultrawide support is not guaranteed, even on latest titles. And in many cases the "support" is a cropped or stretched 16:9 picture. Most game titles require at least some level of tweaking for game to work and even then issues might arise. Cutscenes are almost always pre-rendered 16:9 and will play with black bars on an ultrawide. If the OP is ready for such tweaking and can deal with sometimes having to play with black bars then there's no reason why OP shouldn't consider ultrawide. However I still point out that the resolution is really demanding and most don't consider 40-50 fps playable without G-sync. I wouldn't go on such a high resolution with 1070 when the monitor has no G-sync.

1 hour ago, Eguun said:

Guys thankyou for the recommendation and im loving this community. I know that i cant run triple A games at 144hz and I thought that was the reason i will go for gsync rather than cheaper 144hz monitors.with gsync i heard even st 50fps was smooth. And what do you think is the best ips monitor that looks beautiful for my second monitor i dont need more hz or less response time etc. preferably 4k.

With G-sync even 40-45ish fps should be doable. That dell or the Asus suggested above are both nice as a gaming monitor. They're just both TN panels, known for worse colors and viewing angles. I wouldn't use either if you're even slightly serious with Photoshop. That's why I suggested, with your budget, to rather go with a quality IPS panel even if it means leaving g-sync and 144hz out.

2 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Yes it is.  If my SLI 780ti's can run 1440p at 120hz with well over 60fps in *MOST* games then a 1070 can too since they should be relatively similar in performance.  Not to mention that a good 1070 will have double the VRAM and perform significantly better in any game that SLI doesn't work very well.  For AAA titles you can use GSync or *gasp* you can turn down some of the less important settings a *TINY* bit.  Besides, if you're getting a monitor it's likely going to LONG outlive the GPU so it's better to get something the GPU can do adequately but that the next build you make will take full advantage of.

TLDR: don't buy your monitor based on the couple single-player games that have excessive eye-candy.  Buy it based on what you mostly play and what long term will be the better buy for your next two builds.  That's 1440p 144hz, IPS if you can swing it but don't compromise on the resolution or refresh rate for it.

41 minutes ago, Edea said:

It does offer a more immersive gaming experience indeed, when it works. Ultrawide support is not guaranteed, even on latest titles. And in many cases the "support" is a cropped or stretched 16:9 picture. Most game titles require at least some level of tweaking for game to work and even then issues might arise. Cutscenes are almost always pre-rendered 16:9 and will play with black bars on an ultrawide. If the OP is ready for such tweaking and can deal with sometimes having to play with black bars then there's no reason why OP shouldn't consider ultrawide. However I still point out that the resolution is really demanding and most don't consider 40-50 fps playable without G-sync. I wouldn't go on such a high resolution with 1070 when the monitor has no G-sync.

Well, fixes are usually not too inconvenient to implement, and pre-rendered cutscenes will either be stretched or play with black bars. It doesn't make the cutscenes more immersive, but it will make the game more immersive. Furthermore, games are moving away from pre-rendered cutscenes. Just look at the entirety of The Witcher 3.

The list of games that don't support ultrawide is a short one. Furthermore, more games support ultrawide than ever before, and I'm quite certain that the trend will continue as more people continue to buy ultrawide monitors.