Would you Wipe your phone for F2FS?

BiscuitMassacre

My OnePlus 3 runs on the EXT4 file system, but recently OnePlus updated their software to support the faster F2FS system. In order for it to work, I have to perform a System Wipe. (loose all my data). Do you think it's worth the trouble. I can backup most of my data, but probably not all of it. And it is a pain regardless. 

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

7 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

My OnePlus 3 runs on the EXT4 file system, but recently OnePlus updated their software to support the faster F2FS system. In order for it to work, I have to perform a System Wipe. (loose all my data). Do you think it's worth the trouble. I can backup most of my data, but probably not all of it. And it is a pain regardless. 

If it was going to be noticeably faster while launching games. Other than that, no.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

11 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Do you have storage related performance issues on the OnePlus 3?

Honestly switching to F2FS should be a minimal performance benefit at best. On SD and eMMC it can make a huge difference, but on UFS (the OnePlus 3 should be UFS) and NVMe the difference is pretty negligible. With certain controllers EXT will actually be faster at several tasks like SQLite, and slower at others but with less than a 10% performance difference either way in the worst case.

Phoronix did a recent test of EXT4 vs F2FS vs Btrfs on an NVMe drive and their findings reflect my own with UFS drives.

TL;DR: Unless you're the type of person to sit there and fiddle with your kernel setting to tweak every last possible kb/s out of your network, I wouldn't say it's worth it.

Well, how much faster is F2FS? If it's just minor transfer rate improvements I'd say don't bother, but I suppose if you're a heavy power user and you would really benefit from the extra speed perhaps it's worth it. 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

I wouldn't just to much work for a minimal gain 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/