HELP PLZ

SwervinPersian

I don't know what type of monitor I need for gaming! I have a 1070 FE and i5 7600k, imma mainly play BF1, so I know from research 1080p gives me avg 90 fps while 1440p gives me 60fps.

Also heard higher refresh rate is better than higher resolution.

Should I choose higher fps but lower screen resolution, or lower fps but higher screen resolution? 

I recently cancelled my Omen 32 I ordered, was scares 60hz was not enough.

Edited by SwervinPersian

2 minutes ago, SwervinPersian said:

Also heard higher refresh rate is better than higher resolution. What should I choose? 

Higher refresh rate is only good if your pc can actually play games at an fps the same/close to the refresh rate. If you only get 60fps at 1440p, getting a 144hz 1440p monitor would be pointless.

I'd go for a 1440p 60hz screen, can't recommend cause i'm not too good wiht monitors.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

refresh rate = the rate that your montitor can displays frames. ie a 144hz monitor can display 144 frames per second. Generally 144hz monitors are good for FPS games, where smoothness can help with aiming, so it may be good for battlefield. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

I've asked the same question a while ago, maybe it will clear things up for you :D

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

16 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

I've asked the same question a while ago, maybe it will clear things up for you :D

Thanks. Did you try out the 144hz? 

4 minutes ago, SwervinPersian said:

Thanks. Did you try out the 144hz? 

No not yet... A good 1440p monitor with 144hz and freesync cost here over 400€ :(

But maybe I will order one from amazon and try it out :D

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

6 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

No not yet... A good 1440p monitor with 144hz and freesync cost here over 400€ :(

But maybe I will order one from amazon and try it out :D

Would you recommend me to go 1080p or 1440p? 

I found a second hand acer x34, those usually go for 1300€ but this dude wants like 850, i offered a lil less. It has g-sync, 100hz, and 3160x1440p. Its the dream but dnno if my 1070 can run it

36 minutes ago, SwervinPersian said:

Also would I need 144hz for 1440p 60fps?

Hz just means "per second." A 60 Hz monitor refreshes 60 times per second, and can therefore display up to 60 frames per second to you. You'd want a 144 Hz monitor if you're aiming for a framerate over 60 (and up to 144 FPS).

I doubt you're going to maintain an average of 90 FPS in Battlefield 1 with any i5 at any resolution. 60 at 1080p or 1440p is no problem, and you'll certainly see 90 sometimes, but in my experience you're going to see a CPU-limited average of more like 60–70 in 64-player servers. That said, the vast majority of games don't run anything like BF1, so a high refresh rate monitor may still have value elsewhere. If you play CS:GO or Overwatch, you'll definitely benefit from it.

8 minutes ago, typographie said:

I doubt you're going to maintain an average of 90 FPS in Battlefield 1 with any i5 at any resolution. 60 at 1080p or 1440p is no problem, and you'll certainly see 90 sometimes, but in my experience you're going to see a CPU-limited average of more like 60–70 in 64-player servers. That said, the vast majority of games don't run anything like BF1, so a high refresh rate monitor may still have value elsewhere. If you play CS:GO or Overwatch, you'll definitely benefit from it.

So would 1440p 60hz be good and enjoyable on BF1? Like if I can only get max 70fps would I maybe wnna get a higher Hz? Like 100 or 120?

Then the option is to get 144hz just in case for other games...

45 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Higher refresh rate is only good if your pc can actually play games at an fps the same/close to the refresh rate. If you only get 60fps at 1440p, getting a 144hz 1440p monitor would be pointless.

I'd go for a 1440p 60hz screen, can't recommend cause i'm not too good wiht monitors.

even if the ig fps is lower than the monitor hz , the higher the monitor refresh rate the smoother it will be

same goes in the other way higher fps ig versus a lower monitor refresh rate will be smoother

example when im watching a 24fps movie its still displaying at 144hz on my monitor , x6 time frames  , if your playing at 60 fps on a 144hz monitor it will be allot smoother. sorry for english haha

1 minute ago, creationex said:

even if the ig fps is lower than the monitor hz , the higher the monitor refresh rate the smoother it will be

same goes in the other way higher fps ig versus a lower monitor refresh rate will be smoother

example when im watching a 24fps movie its still displaying at 144hz on my monitor , x6 time frames  , if your playing at 60 fps on a 144hz monitor it will be allot smoother. sorry for english haha

It wont be smoother because even though its 144hz, it will only be displaying 60fps/second, so it'd be the same as 60hz.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, SwervinPersian said:

So would 1440p 60hz be good and enjoyable on BF1? Like if I can only get max 70fps would I maybe wnna get a higher Hz? Like 100 or 120?

Then the option is to get 144hz just in case for other games...

I play BF1 at 1080p and 60 Hz and it's very enjoyable to me. It's a matter of personal preferences and experiences. 1440p sounds to me like it would be spectacular in BF1, but I'm not used to 1440p.

Something else to consider is that these days, 60 Hz monitors tend to be one of the following: cheaper/lower-quality displays, professional productivity monitors (like the Asus ProArt series), or 4K monitors limited to 60 Hz by modern display connections. A 1440p 144 Hz monitor is probably going to have more gaming-oriented features than just the high refresh rate. You may be getting Gsync as well, which will help at any framerate. If you've got the money for such a monitor, it's probably a good investment that you'll keep for a lot of years.

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

It wont be smoother because even though its 144hz, it will only be displaying 60fps/second, so it'd be the same as 60hz.

no the 60 fps feed will be displayed at 144fps , its not creating new frames  , just showing them faster and more than once each

1 minute ago, typographie said:

I play BF1 at 1080p and 60 Hz and it's very enjoyable to me. It's a matter of personal preferences and experiences. 1440p sounds to me like it would be spectacular in BF1, but I'm not used to 1440p.

Something else to consider is that these days, 60 Hz monitors tend to be one of the following: cheaper/lower-quality displays, professional productivity monitors (like the Asus ProArt series), or 4K monitors limited to 60 Hz by modern display connections. A 1440p 144 Hz monitor is probably going to have more gaming-oriented features than just the high refresh rate. You may be getting Gsync as well, which will help at any framerate. If you've got the money for such a monitor, it's probably a good investment that you'll keep for a lot of years.

Real rookie mistake, I should have looked first into what type of monitor I would want to match my games before I started off buying parts. Freesync/AMD would have been the cheaper option now.

But I feel you are right, its a lot smarter to invest into a monitor you will be using for years, especially for gaming! 

I think g-sync is a must have for my soon to be monitor

38 minutes ago, typographie said:

Hz just means "per second." A 60 Hz monitor refreshes 60 times per second, and can therefore display up to 60 frames per second to you. You'd want a 144 Hz monitor if you're aiming for a framerate over 60 (and up to 144 FPS).

What? 60fps with a 1070 and i5 7600k?? I have an i5 4570 and a R9 290 OC and on a 64 slot map I run at least 70-100fps with almost all set to ultra (1080p). But that is on a heavy loaded map. On other maps I reach mostly 90-120fps.

My Setup: 

18 minutes ago, SwervinPersian said:

Real rookie mistake, I should have looked first into what type of monitor I would want to match my games before I started off buying parts. Freesync/AMD would have been the cheaper option now.

But I feel you are right, its a lot smarter to invest into a monitor you will be using for years, especially for gaming! 

I think g-sync is a must have for my soon to be monitor

well it is always a head to head race between nvidia and AMD... But what could happen if you can wait a few months, AMD is gonna release the Vega GPU's, this might drop the prices of all other AMD graphicscards so you can get a more high end GPU for lesser money ;)
Maybe it will also influence the Monitor prices with freesync :D

I am gonna wait for it and see if prices drop ;)

My Setup: 

2 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

What? 60fps with a 1070 and i5 7600k?? I have an i5 4570 and a R9 290 OC and on a 64 slot map I run at least 70-100fps with almost all set to ultra (1080p). But that is on a heavy loaded map. On other maps I reach mostly 90-120fps.

I'm guessing that tends toward the 70's most often, though.

I've got an i5-6600K at 4.5 GHz and GTX 1070 and I play at ultra/1080p/150% resolution scaling. I think I get around 60–90 if I uncap the framerate, though I'm only seeing 90's when I'm in flight or off by myself somewhere. Once a lot of destruction starts happening, all four cores go to 90%+ and stay there, and I'm getting more like 60–65 FPS.

2 minutes ago, typographie said:

I'm guessing that tends toward the 70's most often, though.

I've got an i5-6600K at 4.5 GHz and GTX 1070 and I play at ultra/1080p/150% resolution scaling. I think I get around 60–90 if I uncap the framerate, though I'm only seeing 90's when I'm in flight or off by myself somewhere. Once a lot of destruction starts happening, all four cores go to 90%+ and stay there, and I'm getting more like 60–65 FPS.

Well OK, you didn't mention the 150% scaling xD This will drop my fps like hell...

I have it at 100% and the fps are good 

My Setup: 

2 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

Well OK, you didn't mention the 150% scaling xD This will drop my fps like hell...

I have it at 100% and the fps are good 

It's at 150% scaling, but I still see ~60–70% GPU load at times. I'm getting CPU-bound performance most of the time in combat, that's why I bothered to increase the resolution scale in the first place. May as well give the 1070 something to do. :P