Time to Upgrade?

I7 4770k Upgrade 2018?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. To upgrade or not to upgrade? That is the Question!

• No - Keep your current CPU
    • Yes - Upgrade to the current Gen in 2018
    • Not sure?

So I have been rocking the i7 4770k for 4 years now and got a replacement free of charge due to it being a very hot chip even with a noctua D15 cooler slammed on there and as expected it's still hot ??? , it's just the hazwell line up, sure it reached 95 degrees in prime 95 small FFT with a watercooler on it but nevermind my waffling let's get down to business.

My reason for this topic is that when I got my GTX 1070 a My 4770k CPU didn't seem to cut it, my 1070 felt restricted, less performance from it, that's was till I ocercloked my GPU higher and my CPU to a stable 4.4 Ghz. How is it that a non overclocked i7 is struggling to keep up with the latest cards? My knowledge of computers is decent but I do not know the nitty gritty details such as CPU bottlenecking. Are graphics cards just getting to fast for the CPU to process all those frames? I am running a 165 hz 1440p monitor. 

Next year when they realise a new card should I do a full rebuilt? Can someone explain to me in debt how all this works? I read a few days ago that an i3 clocked at 5ghz runs just fine ? So what is the advantage of all those extra i7 threads?

Don't know why you feel bottlenecked. 

your i7 at stock on average scores 10000 points on CPUMark. the 6700k scores 11000, and people match that sucker up with 2x1080s with minimal bottlenecking. 

idk

8 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Don't know why you feel bottlenecked. 

your i7 at stock on average scores 10000 points on CPUMark. the 6700k scores 11000, and people match that sucker up with 2x1080s with minimal bottlenecking. 

Hmmm maybe it was due to my old hardrive making my PC feel sluggish , haven't tested it out with my SSD's yet as my PSU failed ?

3 minutes ago, MrNangle said:

Hmmm maybe it was due to my old hardrive making my PC feel sluggish , haven't tested it out with my SSD's yet as my PSU failed ?

Wait, so you didn't have any SSD's before? 

Well, if that's the case, prepare yourself for some impressive performance gains.

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

Wait, so you didn't have any SSD's before? 

Well, if that's the case, prepare yourself for some impressive performance gains.

Haha yeah I had one for my OS but never for gaming as I had no space on it , so when loading in worlds my games would drop FPS and stutter probably now that I think of it that's why I felt a decrease in performance . I also had the HDD for 4 years and it was a WD green because 4 years ago I had no idea what I was doing haha , was only 15 building my first PC ? Didn't realise the hard drive was as slow as a ? 

A 4770K @ 4.4Ghz shouldn't bottleneck a 1070 AT ALL. and since you say your PSU failed, guess that was the problem.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |