PCI e slots

Go to solution Solved by kameshss,

nah. you'll be fine. It'll work with either of those PCIe versions with no loss on performance.

1 minute ago, TheWildGamer_ said:

Thanks, how much of a bottleneck am i looking at with a rx 470 or gtx 1050ti and a i5 3470S

pretty much nothing.

I have a pc without a GPU and i thinking about opening it up and putting a gtx 1050ti or a Rx 470 with a external psu.

but the rx 470 uses PCI-E 3 and i am not sure whether my motherboard has a PCI-E 2 or 3.

So is there any way to check that?

How many fps can i lose in games if i use PCI-E 3 gpu on PCI-E 2 slot?

Your framerate more than likely will not suffer.

PCIe 2 x16 = PCIe 3 x8

PCIe 2 x8 = PCIe x4

If it's PCIe 2 x8, do not worry.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

5 minutes ago, TheWildGamer_ said:

I have a pc without a GPU and i thinking about opening it up and putting a gtx 1050ti or a Rx 470 with a external psu.

but the rx 470 uses PCI-E 3 and i am not sure whether my motherboard has a PCI-E 2 or 3.

So is there any way to check that?

How many fps can i lose in games if i use PCI-E 3 gpu on PCI-E 2 slot?

1) I think PCI is compatible with any version

2) you will lose almost nothing

It shouldn't be an issue so long as its at least running at 8x (Which it probably is).

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

You'll be fine.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Thanks, how much of a bottleneck am i looking at with a rx 470 or gtx 1050ti and a i5 3470S

nah. you'll be fine. It'll work with either of those PCIe versions with no loss on performance.

1 minute ago, TheWildGamer_ said:

pretty much nothing.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Also how much fps am I looking at in AAA games in 1366x768 

how many fps in cs go

Is there a way to check what kind of slot is in my computer without opening it up?

44 minutes ago, TheWildGamer_ said:

Please Help

Please help

2 hours ago, TheWildGamer_ said:

Is there a way to check what kind of slot is in my computer without opening it up?

Just tell us what CPU you have, and we should be able to figure out very easily whether you've got PCIe 2.0 or 3.0.

Edit: Oh, is it the i5-3470S you asked about? I believe that was the first generation of products that had PCIe 3.0 support.

1 hour ago, typographie said:

Just tell us what CPU you have, and we should be able to figure out very easily whether you've got PCIe 2.0 or 3.0.

Edit: Oh, is it the i5-3470S you asked about? I believe that was the first generation of products that had PCIe 3.0 support.

Even if a cpu supports pcie 3, the manufacturer might not implemented to keep costs down.

So is there any way to be sure?

21 minutes ago, TheWildGamer_ said:

Even if a cpu supports pcie 3, the manufacturer might not implemented to keep costs down.

So is there any way to be sure?

That seems unlikely, but if that's the case then I don't know. Surely there must be some documentation that came with the motherboard or the PC as a whole (if its a pre-built) that would specify this.

But as the others have said, putting a GTX 1050 Ti or RX 470 into a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot is not going to result in a meaningful framerate difference. Every so often a tech site benchmarks this and usually finds a difference inside the margin of error when using any single card:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/pci-express-3-0-vs-2-0-gaming-performance-gain/3/

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pci_express_scaling_game_performance_analysis_review,1.html

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/49646-amd-radeon-hd-7970-3gb-review-21.html

Can you access the internals in order to take a picture? If so, please do and post it here.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Found the paper for the pc and its say there's one PCI-E slot x16 and 2 PCI-E slot x2.

Will the GPU be electrically fine even if the slot is PCI-E x16 gen 2?

The gtx 1050ti depends on the PCI-E slot for power so will it be fine with a PCI-E x16 gen 2?

1 hour ago, TheWildGamer_ said:

Found the paper for the pc and its say there's one PCI-E slot x16 and 2 PCI-E slot x2.

Will the GPU be electrically fine even if the slot is PCI-E x16 gen 2?

The gtx 1050ti depends on the PCI-E slot for power so will it be fine with a PCI-E x16 gen 2?

Yes, a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot will work fine. I don't think the power specifications have changed between 2.0 and 3.0.